+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARRIED OR COMMON-LAW?

k0nghe

Apr 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

I'm from Philippines. i just got an job offer from canada. an LMO.my current status is single.but i have a daughter.she's 7 years old now.her mother and i have been together for almost 9 years now.since i got my LMO we wanted to get married before i submit my requirements/documents but some people advised us not to because they said my family can come to canada faster if i applied on common-law relationship..
just want to ask what is advisable?plss help..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are living with the mother for a year or more then your status is not single, it is common law. When you apply for your work permit, you should list yourself as common law or if you get married before, list yourself as married.

You can apply for your wife and kid to go with you at the same time as a family but be aware that one of the criteria to get a work permit is that you have strong ties to homeland and will return. If you are taking your wife and kid with you, they may consider that you could all overstay in Canada together and refuse all of you. If you however apply for yourself alone and then apply for your wife and kid later, you may get your permit based on leaving wife and kid behind and they may be refused.

k0nghe

Apr 21, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wow thanks for the info...really i appreciate it..thanks!