+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married in Canada :) Do i need to go home and change my passport???

Valkyrien

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Hello everyone!

I am ukrainian with PR card, all is fine.
I am married in Canada and changing my last name and i know i need to change lots of documents.
One of the biggest is my ukrainian international passport. That possible to do in Toronto.
But all ukrainians have inside Ukrainian passport. :eek:

So, maybe someone had the same position.

Do i need to go to Ukraine and change only inside passport? And International UKR passport in Toronto.
Do i need to change 2 of them in Ukraine?

Do anyone knows another way?

Will be happy to get any help ;)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Valkyrien said:
Hello everyone!

I am ukrainian with PR card, all is fine.
I am married in Canada and changing my last name and i know i need to change lots of documents.
One of the biggest is my ukrainian international passport. That possible to do in Toronto.
But all ukrainians have inside Ukrainian passport. :eek:

So, maybe someone had the same position.

Do i need to go to Ukraine and change only inside passport? And International UKR passport in Toronto.
Do i need to change 2 of them in Ukraine?

Do anyone knows another way?

Will be happy to get any help ;)
Congratulations! :)

My wife is Russian, so we have the same thought with respect to the internal affairs passport.

Now speaking from the Russian perspective (I assume it's possible to do this with Ukraine as well, but I'm not totally sure), you can get documents from the Russian Consular General in Toronto. Like PCCs. They issue them right there, translated...

So, I would guess that the Ukraine Consular General in Toronto may be able to help you here.. did you try contacting them or the Embassy in Ottawa?

Valkyrien

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Thank you ;)

Yeah! I did.
They said that intern-l UKR passport i can change in Toronto, but only when the 1st i will change inside UKR passport.
That possible to get only in Ukraine.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Valkyrien said:
Thank you ;)

Yeah! I did.
They said that intern-l UKR passport i can change in Toronto, but only when the 1st i will change inside UKR passport.
That possible to get only in Ukraine.
Interesting....

Well I just looked it up, and I was able to find a story of someone who changed an Internal UKR passport. This is an expat who now lives in the US.

It apparently will take 30 days and the less time, the more cost. You will have to do this in Ukraine, because not only do you have to change that passport, you also have to have a Tax ID issued to you (a new one, because the passport no longer has your maiden name). They were able to do all of this in about 5 weeks, and it did cost more (I am assuming that might mean bribes were paid).

Before you head east, you might also want to try to reach someone at the Ministry of Internal Affairs to get a sense of what documentation they would accept for the basis of change -- some states have strict guidelines on what they will accept for the basis or reason for change..

Valkyrien

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
yeah......sound like i thought .....

1 month to wait until done inside pass + 1 month need to wait until done international pass... ???

Thank you for information :)

Interesting if i can change all pass-ts later....not right now

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Valkyrien said:
yeah......sound like i thought .....

1 month to wait until done inside pass + 1 month need to wait until done international pass... ???

Thank you for information :)

Interesting if i can change all pass-ts later....not right now
My wife and I were just discussing the process, because it's the same in Russia. I too wonder if you can assume a new last name in Canada only. I think for the purposes of CIC, they require your passport (travel) needs to be changed. The PR will be issued in the same surname as your passport (they have to match, right)..

If you complete citizenship, I bet you can have a different surname...

Valkyrien

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
I just talked with one friend.....and he said that I need my pass-t only for travel.
Everything on PR card in Canada so, i can change it my pass later. When i will travel there (in Ukraine) again.
Just need to have our marriage certif-te when traveling. I don't know if its gonna work.... :-\

Valkyrien

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
i must to change my PR card coz i legally changing my name.
They said that i need to change all doc-s first and then PR.
That's why i started with my pass-ts

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Valkyrien said:
I just talked with one friend.....and he said that I need my pass-t only for travel.
Everything on PR card in Canada so, i can change it my pass later. When i will travel there (in Ukraine) again.
Just need to have our marriage certif-te when traveling. I don't know if its gonna work.... :-\
Yeah I was just looking at the CIC's policy on Change of Name requests:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/id/name/change.asp

Looks like you don't need to change your passport! :)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Valkyrien said:
:D ohhh its sound goood
Thank you very much for help ;D
We put in a CSE tonight to see if we can take advantage of that... fingers crossed!

Best of luck to you!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
;) good luck guys :)
and thank you
Were you sponsored by your Canadian citizen spouse to get your PR? If yes, do you remember whether you sent a copy of your "internal Ukrainian Passport" as National ID for identity purposes? If yes, was the passport certified and translated in English? If yes, how many pages? A few or whole thing?