+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married but when check no "Is your spouse/common-law partner coming with you?"

quicksilver6

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
I saw the score increasing when I choose no. So got the same score as "single". I am married, but can i check not coming to get higher scores? So depressed these days.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your spouse is not coming, you can say not accompanying.... but then they will not get the PR with you..
You will need to go and spend a couple of years there and sponsor them (I guess after you find a job, meet the minimum requirements etc.).. usually the waiting period is 2 years after that..

I think most people on the forum have been through this... we all get higher without spouse, but that's the reality of it..
IF the spouse has good education and English, then it helps alot... and make sure to get ECA done for Education as well..

quicksilver6

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Thank you so much for your reply EFK. Unfair for us to get lower scores with our spouses, but, what can we do? It is their country, we have to play by their rules.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quicksilver6 said:
Thank you so much for your reply EFK. Unfair for us to get lower scores with our spouses, but, what can we do? It is their country, we have to play by their rules.
Well, it is debatable if that is indeed unfair.

Married applicants get 2 (or more if there are kids involved) PRs at the same time unlike single applicants - no offence but that's almost like a buy 1 get 1 free offer! Technically, there is additional burden on the Canadian economy if the spouse of the PA isn't going to be economically productive (at home or outside) so I believe that CIC has rightfully made this distinction without penalizing married applicants very heavily - a maximum of 40/600 points (less than 7% when the current cutoff is at about 75% ignoring the LMIA and PNP for the sake of this argument) which is distributed across multiple categories sounds more than fair to me.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
^^I agree with the above.

I understand the frustration many couples face, but I also understand the CIC angle.
Rather, I was surprised when my friend told me that under spousal sponsorship, she did not have to do IELTS (husband is a Canadian citizen) and they directly checked her medical and criminal... So I think they are actually pretty lenient...
If you look at it from this angle, there are countless number of people whose spouses would never have met the minimum requirement, but because the PA meets it, they manage to come to the country as well... (considering the fact that at the end of the day, they are still 2 individual entities).. and then many cases result in divorce as well.... so basically you have 1 single applicant, who ended up in the country, without meeting basic requirements.... so I think that is another case they may consider as well..
Keeping all that in mind, I think its fair enough if they expect the spouse to have some basic education and language skills to get enough points to meet the cutoff...

cyronn

Aug 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
26-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2016
Asivad Anac said:
Well, it is debatable if that is indeed unfair.

Married applicants get 2 (or more if there are kids involved) PRs at the same time unlike single applicants - no offence but that's almost like a buy 1 get 1 free offer! Technically, there is additional burden on the Canadian economy if the spouse of the PA isn't going to be economically productive (at home or outside) so I believe that CIC has rightfully made this distinction without penalizing married applicants very heavily - a maximum of 40/600 points (less than 7% when the current cutoff is at about 75% ignoring the LMIA and PNP for the sake of this argument) which is distributed across multiple categories sounds more than fair to me.
Seconded. Few points drop for two PRs is a small price to pay as compared to running around trying to sponsor your spouse later. However CIC might have tweaked the system in such a way that any drop in points for couples could be covered with spouse's overall qualifications covering language and skills. For eg. currently spouse's foreign work experience gets no points. That could have been changed.

uxd

Feb 27, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2015
AOR Received.
01-09-2015
Med's Done....
04-09-2015
Passport Req..
16-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
6-11-2015 copr rcvd
quicksilver6 said:
Isnt it easier for couples get higher score by choosing "not coming" and apply for spouses after they got pr?
It takes anywhere from 1.5 to over 2 years when you do spousal sponsorship. If u r ok with the long wait then go for it. I waited for scores to drop and applied with my spouse. If my wp was expiring or if the scores were not dropping, i might have chosen spouse not coming. But again, my spouse is already in Canada. So it all depends on your situation. No harm in applying alone but know whats coming.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there's no guarantee that CIC will allow you to sponsor a spouse in future, if you indicate now that they're not going to be accompanying you - unless you can give some excellent explanations for why they weren't included in the EE application. As far as I know, the only real acceptable reasons would be because the spouse needed to remain home to look after ill relatives, and you'd need to prove the illness and the care provided and how there was no one else who could do it. Mind, this could change in future as the Lib gov want to focus on family reunification - we just don't know yet how this will play out.
Additionally, it would be difficult for your spouse to get a visa to visit you in the meantime as they'd need to prove ties to their home country - that they will leave Canada. If you're a PR CIC will believe that they want to come and stay.
If you get past that, then the spousal sponsorship process can take up to 2 years.
Its up to you, but that's a lot of hassle later to save some points now.