+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage ??????????????????

rozel

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi i'm fron india ........... if i get immigrated to canada as my father a main applicant ............ then after how much time can i marry and bring my partner to canada from india ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no rule that says that you can not get married right away after you have landed. However, if you do, immigration may feel that you have been dishonest on your application since if you are immigrating as a single, dependent child and get married right away, you must have already been in a relationship serious enough to get married. I say give it at least 6 months.

rozel

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
then my partner would also be a pr of canada ?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rozel said:
then my partner would also be a pr of canada ?
No. Your partner would need to go through the process, being married in Canada does not have that benefit.

rozel

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
when can the partner come to canada ? ...... is it possible immidiately after marriage ? ......... thanks guys for ur valuable answers ........

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are a PR get married and apply to sponsor your partner, the processing of your application can take from 3 to 12 months based on what country your partner is from. Some visa office are busier than others and it also depends on how well you prove your relationship.

Keep in mind though that as a dependent child who came to Canada not married, if you tell them that you were engaged to be married or had lived with your spouse in a common law relationship before you came to Canada, that could cause you to be suspected of not really having been a dependent child at the time you got your PR in which case you shouldn't have gotten it at all. If that was the case, they just might want to question their decision giving it to you so you must not overdo the proof of how long you and your spouse have been in a relationship.

If your spouse is from a visa exempt country, they can come to Canada as a visitor. If not, they need to apply for a visit visa. As a spouse of a PR who is thinking of staying in Canada permanently, a visit visa is often denied. If that is the case, you would need to wait until the processing is complete and your spouse gets PR. You can also not go and stay with your spouse in their country except for short vacations because as a PR, you need to be residing in Canada to sponsor people.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to ask you Leon, I am curious--why is it that if someone is thinking of staying in Canada permanently, they will often be denied a visitor record? But those from visitor-visa-exempt countries are often issued Visitor Records that seem to be for the purpose of allowing them to visit Canada until their permanent status is processed?

I've gotten this impression, at least, and it seems contradictory to me. Do you have any thoughts? I'm more curious than anything but also trying to understand this crazy system!
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration is not supposed to let somebody in on a visit status if they think the person is planning on staying permanently because of risk of overstay if their application is denied. If you can convince them that you are only coming to visit and that you will leave again, they may allow it. If you are visa exempt on the other hand, you usually do not have to explain yourself that way. You just arrive, say you are coming for a vacation and that is pretty much it. An exception being when somebody shows up at the border with a u-haul full of stuff, they will probably not be believed saying they are only coming for a visit.

This doesn't apply to people who are already in Canada so if somebody who is already in Canada applies to extend their visit, they may not be denied just on the basis of risk of overstay because if they wanted to overstay, they could do that when they are denied. Spouses being sponsored who are already in Canada are usually allowed to extend their visit status.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Hmm ... tricky situation. If you pretend you did not know your wife when you immigrate to Canada, then marry her 6 short months later, Immigration will probably question how genuine the relationship is.

Better wait for PMM to advise here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly. Some guy on here bragged about how his wife to be got a visit visa by saying she was only coming to visit her friends and then they got married. His sponsorship application was pending but I find it very likely that immigration will look at it carefully, wondering if they lied when she got the visit visa or if they are lying about their marriage being genuine.

It is better not to lie. If you have to suffer being apart for a few months, that is too bad but this will pass and you will have your PR.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
It is better not to lie. If you have to suffer being apart for a few months, that is too bad but this will pass and you will have your PR.
The lies will end up coming back to bite you.
Being apart from the person you want to be with for the rest of your life is a small price to pay.
Be honest and then you will have much less to worry about when submitting your PR.

rozel

Star Member
Dec 14, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
There is no rule that says that you can not get married right away after you have landed. However, if you do, immigration may feel that you have been dishonest on your application since if you are immigrating as a single, dependent child and get married right away, you must have already been in a relationship serious enough to get married. I say give it at least 6 months.
1. for these 6 months do i need to reside in Canada ? or else can i go back to india just after getting my PR (as per the rule of obligatory stay of 2 years out of 5 years ).... and then get married there in india after 6 months or so ? ....... and then come back to canada and sponsor my spouse ?

Leon said:
When you are a PR get married and apply to sponsor your partner, the processing of your application can take from 3 to 12 months based on what country your partner is from. Some visa office are busier than others and it also depends on how well you prove your relationship.

Keep in mind though that as a dependent child who came to Canada not married, if you tell them that you were engaged to be married or had lived with your spouse in a common law relationship before you came to Canada, that could cause you to be suspected of not really having been a dependent child at the time you got your PR in which case you shouldn't have gotten it at all. If that was the case, they just might want to question their decision giving it to you so you must not overdo the proof of how long you and your spouse have been in a relationship.

If your spouse is from a visa exempt country, they can come to Canada as a visitor. If not, they need to apply for a visit visa. As a spouse of a PR who is thinking of staying in Canada permanently, a visit visa is often denied. If that is the case, you would need to wait until the processing is complete and your spouse gets PR. You can also not go and stay with your spouse in their country except for short vacations because as a PR, you need to be residing in Canada to sponsor people.
2. that means if the spouse gets the visit visa and come to Canada then she is able to stay there with me permanently without going back ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rozel said:
1. for these 6 months do i need to reside in Canada ? or else can i go back to india just after getting my PR (as per the rule of obligatory stay of 2 years out of 5 years ).... and then get married there in india after 6 months or so ? ....... and then come back to canada and sponsor my spouse ?
As a PR, you are free to reside outside Canada for up to 3 years in your first 5 years as a PR.

rozel said:
2. that means if the spouse gets the visit visa and come to Canada then she is able to stay there with me permanently without going back ?
Yes, most likely. If the processing takes more than 6 months, you would have to apply for a visit visa extension though but with inland, it is always granted and with outland, I have not heard of a case where it was denied. The spouse while in visit visa is however not allowed to work or study and will not be covered by health care.