+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before Visa issuance

ad2310

Jul 2, 2009
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has been in situation when they got married before the visa was issued. I received the request for the passport to be sent, but I know that if I get married before the visa issuance, I 'll need to notify them. Does anyone know what the process is like in that case? I appreciate if anyone can share their experience.

Thanks,
Andy

salmi105

Sep 8, 2010
Hi mate,

I am going through the same scenario, currently i have submitted my documents and i am waiting for the medical request. I am getting married in few days, my, i contacted my visa office and they told me i can basically submit the relevant documents and update the application and bring it to them ( no need to mail it since i live in the same city).

So when you send the passport, write a letter explaining that you got married with all relevant dates and information and attach the following:

1) Updated application with your wife’s details.
2) Marriage certificate
3) Copy of her passport
4) Police clearance for all countries where she lived more than 6 months
5) Education certificates ( if any)
6) Language proficiency ( if any)
7) Work experience documents ( if any)

All documents should be notarized and for points 5-7 they are optional. But from 1-4 it must be attached.

This will cause a delay in your visa stamp, according to previous applicants it might take 2-6 months. However, its better you sort it out from now.

Good luck

Cheers!