+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage After getting Study Permit and before leaving for Canada !!

mistseven2012

Mar 31, 2014
I am a Bangladeshi student recently got admission with funding for MEng program to study in CANADA. I need to know :

1. Is there any possibility to face problems if I get married during my study permit processing (I already got my medical call 2 week before and already submitted my passport)?

2. If I get married and register after getting my study permit (Before leaving for canada) will there be any problem? Do I have to inform Canadian High commission about my change of status since while applying for study permit I was unmarried?

3. Overall what is the official procedure to avoid any problems (Please mention the problems if any)?

Thanks in Advance for your valuable opinions.

Reactions: KabirMoho

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
Do you want your wife to accompany you to Canada? If not then it shouldn't make a difference since at the time of application you weren't married. Except if you were in a common law relationship and you didn't declare that on your application. Then that could be an issue.

mistseven2012

Mar 31, 2014
I want to go there at first then I want to bring my wife there as student. I was unmarried at the time of application. I am planning to get married.

If she has to come to canada as student (with funding) then what type of visa should she apply for study visa(declaring she is married) or TRV/spouse visa?

Do I have to inform Canadian High commission about my change of status ?

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
If she is coming as a student then she will have to apply for a study permit like you are doing right now. In that application she will have to declare that she is married to you etc.

Another option is that when you get your study permit and are in Canada, she can apply for a TRV and a open work permit for the duration of your studies. I am not familiar with this option but if you search the forums there are quite a few threads that discuss this.

mistseven2012

Mar 31, 2014
After getting my passport with study permit, marrying her, can i simply go to canada ? or do I have to inform anywhere about my change of status?

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
Yes but if you want her to join you in Canada, you will have to apply for some type of visa and in that application you will have to let declare that you are married. I think you should've addressed this issue with a letter of explanation when you filed your application. Hopefully someone else here has more insight into this issue. Odd time to get married.

luizavolpi

Jul 5, 2017
Hello mistseven2012,

I am having a similar problem now and I'm wondering how you solved yours. I am engaged but not married, yet, I have been accepted to a PhD in Montreal. I have to apply to CAQ and then the study permit, but they ask whether you are currently married. He is not coming with me now, only after 6 months, and I was wondering how to proceed, considering it would take some time to process the marriage and then also 3-4 months to get the study permit.
He plans on coming afterward, and I am wondering if it would be easier for him to come if we get married now (he is going to finish his masters here and look for a job there) considering we would still have to apply for other type of visa (from temporary to permanent visa in the near future.

Many thanks

Reactions: KabirMoho

VivekBansal

Jun 11, 2019
Montreal
Hi

My friend has a same situation, when she applied for study visa and at that time she was single. After getting study visa and before coming to Canada, she got married and her husband is in India now. She came to Canada few days ago.

Please tell me what should she do about it, should she inform to any embassy regarding marital status ??

Please share information if anyone has same situation.
Thanks.