+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status - Canadian Citizenship

jntcheung

Jan 18, 2024
Hi

I just became a permanent resident of Canada and I am "separated" in my marital status when I applied for PR.

My husband is uncooperative and not willing to proceed with the divorce application back in my home country. In such case, there is a chance that I will remain as "separated" for a long period of time until he changes his mind and signs the paper.

I am worrying if this will affect my citizenship application in the future.

Will IRCC challenge the reason why I am still "Separated" but not changed to "Divorced" at the time when I apply for citizenship ?

See if anyone can give me some advice. Or if you have similar experience, please share.

Many thanks for everyone :)

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
According to citizenship law, the only requirement for it is that you physically present for 1095 days (3 years) in the previous 5 years before submitting the application & no character issues (committing crimes). Marriage is NOT part of citizenship applications!

jntcheung

Jan 18, 2024
According to citizenship law, the only requirement for it is that you physically present for 1095 days (3 years) in the previous 5 years before submitting the application & no character issues (committing crimes). Marriage is NOT part of citizenship applications!
Hi~when I applied for PR, IRCC asked me to provide the Divorce Certificate before approving my application. I did not have such document so I sought help from a lawyer who suggested me to sign a statutory declaration, stating I will never sponsor my ex to come to Canada.

I am not sure will IRCC have similar request when processing the citizenship.

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi~when I applied for PR, IRCC asked me to provide the Divorce Certificate before approving my application. I did not have such document so I sought help from a lawyer who suggested me to sign a statutory declaration, stating I will never sponsor my ex to come to Canada.

I am not sure will IRCC have similar request when processing the citizenship.
As stated… citizenship application does NOT have a marriage component in it… no where does it say provide marriage documents

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html