+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mariage with a PR

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Hi Guys

I have a question. I am a PR here and married to a girl in india who has the student visa already so she will be coming here in august on student visa and we have thought to register our marriage here and then apply for her work permit. My doubt is after she land here how long should we wait to register the marriage , shall we do it immediately or we should wait for some time and let her attend the college first.?
Please reply
Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bornhunter said:
Hi Guys

I have a question. I am a PR here and married to a girl in india who has the student visa already so she will be coming here in august on student visa and we have thought to register our marriage here and then apply for her work permit. My doubt is after she land here how long should we wait to register the marriage , shall we do it immediately or we should wait for some time and let her attend the college first.?
Please reply
Thanks
What do you mean "register the marriage"?? There is no such process in Canada. A legal marriage certificate obtained outside Canada, is suitable for proof of marriage to anyone that asks in Canada.

You should of course change your status immediately with CRA for tax purposes, from single to married.

THe only way to get her a work permit is to file an INLAND PR application with OWP app, and after 4 months she would receive OWP.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
I mean " court marriage" . We have not registered our marriage in India so she will come here as a student and single. After she lands here and gets her study permit then we would go for court marriage here and apply for her work permit.
Is this the right way or would you suggest something else

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bornhunter said:
I mean " court marriage" . We have not registered our marriage in India so she will come here as a student and single. After she lands here and gets her study permit then we would go for court marriage here and apply for her work permit.
Is this the right way or would you suggest something else
Then you are not married yet.
In that case, you would need to marry her in Canada. It's entirely up to you when to do this.

She doesn't get a work permit simply by being married to a Canadian PR. As mentioned you would need to submit a PR application for her along with an OWP.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the response but I did not understand " how would she get the work permit then". when she gets married to me can't we just apply for her PR and work permit and she doesn't have to start the college here.?

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bornhunter said:
Thanks for the response but I did not understand " how would she get the work permit then". when she gets married to me can't we just apply for her PR and work permit and she doesn't have to start the college here.?
CIC is very strict on such cases. On the one hand you say you are married and she's got a student visa on the other hand you say marriage is not registered in India and "she doesnt have to start college in Canada".

I see glaring conflicts in intentions atleast from CIC's stand point. They are particularly careful in such cases.

My two cents; just be very forthcoming and truthful

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bornhunter said:
She must be inside Canada already for you to submit an INLAND PR app alongn with OWP. Once she submits the OWP app, then she would be here under implied status so would be no need for study permit after that point if she drops out of the school.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
bornhunter said:
I do hope she's going to Canada on a study visa to study at College, and not simply viewing it as a way to cross the border before getting married, and claiming PR status?

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Ok may be I am not explaining my situation clearly. So say if a girl comes here on student visa and after landing here she gets married to a PR boy here after a week or so . In this case whats the process to get work permit and PR.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
bornhunter said:
Ok may be I am not explaining my situation clearly. So say if a girl comes here on student visa and after landing here she gets married to a PR boy here after a week or so . In this case whats the process to get work permit and PR.
Somebody had already provided you the info and that is to apply In-Land spousal application for PR under family class along with OWP application.

Let's say even your relationship is genuine, you still need to be well prepared to provide all required documents to prove that your marriage is genuine and not for marriage in convenience.

You have to know that if your in-land application is denied, you won't have the chance to appeal.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks and should we immediately apply for spousal application or we need to wait for couple of months after she lands here.?

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You better wait because she is coming to Canada as SINGLE on a STUDENT visa.
If you marry her in days or even weeks after she got to Canada and apply for sponsorship, just think what it tells CIC about her intend when she applied for a Study permit in India as single ? She was lying, right? And CIC does not like liars.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bornhunter said:
Thanks and should we immediately apply for spousal application or we need to wait for couple of months after she lands here.?
You can't apply for PR immediately, you need to get married first.

How long have you been in a relationship with this person? I assume it's not an arranged marriage, else the formal/legal marriage should have already taken place in India?

With a very long and documented relationship already in place, having a quick wedding and applying for PR shouldn't be a problem. However a short relationship with a quick wedding and PR app, could lead to lots of problems and delays since it looks very suspicious.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Screenager said:
CIC is very strict on such cases. On the one hand you say you are married and she's got a student visa on the other hand you say marriage is not registered in India and "she doesnt have to start college in Canada".

I see glaring conflicts in intentions atleast from CIC's stand point. They are particularly careful in such cases.

My two cents; just be very forthcoming and truthful

that would major redflags with cic and she can get her student visa revoke

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Rob_TO said:
She must be inside Canada already for you to submit an INLAND PR app alongn with OWP. Once she submits the OWP app, then she would be here under implied status so would be no need for study permit after that point if she drops out of the school.

he said in India they did not registered there marriage