May 10, 2012
Landing Question

Hello fellow Marchers.

This is my first time posting and here is my timeline:

Medicals done on Jan 14, 2012
Application filed on March 28, 2012
Sponsor approved on June 29, 2012
Processing of PR began on September 14, 2012
PPR on October 10, 2012 (Los Angeles Office -- originally Buffalo Office)
Passport sent in October 12, 2012
Decision Made on November 1, 2012

Here is my question: Upon receiving my passport back, how long do I have to land and must I have a physical address at the time of the landing? Or is just making a border-crossing sufficient?

Here is some background. My wife is Canadian and I am American. We currently live in New York City and would like to live/work in the Toronto area. We've been together for seven years, married for five and have two children (4 and 1). Although we are gung-ho about moving up, we would prefer to do it in March of 2013 to avoid the possibility of moving in the snow. We dealt with a post-blizzard move on January 28, 2011 and would love to avoid another in the future. However, I think I need to land BEFORE my medicals expire in January. (true?) If so, can I use a temporary address, like a family or friend, until our permanent address is known?

Thanks for any insight.

-Jack

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Re: Landing Question

mrjocko said:
Decision Made on November 1, 2012

Here is my question: Upon receiving my passport back, how long do I have to land and must I have a physical address at the time of the landing? Or is just making a border-crossing sufficient?
Unless your passport expires before January 14, 2013, your COPR will expire on January 13, 2013 (one year from your medicals).

DM means they have issued your COPR and sent it back (I got DM on the day I received my COPR).

mrjocko said:
Here is some background. My wife is Canadian and I am American. We currently live in New York City and would like to live/work in the Toronto area. We've been together for seven years, married for five and have two children (4 and 1). Although we are gung-ho about moving up, we would prefer to do it in March of 2013 to avoid the possibility of moving in the snow. We dealt with a post-blizzard move on January 28, 2011 and would love to avoid another in the future. However, I think I need to land BEFORE my medicals expire in January. (true?) If so, can I use a temporary address, like a family or friend, until our permanent address is known?
Land doesn't mean move. So yes, you can just show up at the border, execute your COPR and then head home. If you don't have an address you have 180 days to give it to them, or you can give them a temporary address for sending the PR card.

Since you're a US citizen, you won't need the PR card (not even to fly - I've already done it once). The airlines just don't ask for US citizens (or other visa-exempt travelers). Once you get to a POE, you can show your COPR and they'll be fine with it.

This "land first move later" is rather common.

Congratulations!

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Hunt71 said:
Thanks simb!

Got an email from: Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa | Centre de Traitement Pilote – Ottawa –
Citizenship and Immigration Canada. My file is now there. It's been there since the end of August beginning of September. What is the next step from here? and much longer may it take? My wife is coming from Ohio.

Also we have some furniture down there. I'm I allowed to bring it across into Canada?

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Hunt71 said:
Also we have some furniture down there. I'm I allowed to bring it across into Canada?
Yes. Find the B4 and B4A forms on the CBSA website and fill them in. You list the items you are bringing on one set of forms and the items you WILL be bringing in the future ("goods to follow") on a separate set of forms. That way you don't have to pay any duty or GST/HST on them when you bring them to Canada.

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
computergeek said:
Yes. Find the B4 and B4A forms on the CBSA website and fill them in. You list the items you are bringing on one set of forms and the items you WILL be bringing in the future ("goods to follow") on a separate set of forms. That way you don't have to pay any duty or GST/HST on them when you bring them to Canada.

Thanks Computergeek. Does my wife have to be with me for the items to come into Canada? She has not yet landed. Still waiting...
I would like to go down there get our stuff from the Ohio and drive them back to Canada. I have a condo I just rented and wanted to have our furniture

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Got an email from: Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa | Centre de Traitement Pilote – Ottawa –
Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

My file is now there. It's been there since the end of August beginning of September. What is the next step from here? and much longer may it take? My wife is coming from Ohio.

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
Hunt71 said:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

My file is now there. It's been there since the end of August beginning of September. What is the next step from here? and much longer may it take? My wife is coming from Ohio.
It really depends. My file was transferred to Ottawa, but I'm not sure when. Out of the blue I got a RPRF request in August, but I had applied in March. I got PPR on October 19th, but only after I had emailed them for an update. I wonder if I didn't email them, if it would have taken longer.

Email them using the address they supplied to get an update on your case. They reply surprisingly quickly.

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
santoki said:
It really depends. My file was transferred to Ottawa, but I'm not sure when. Out of the blue I got a RPRF request in August, but I had applied in March. I got PPR on October 19th, but only after I had emailed them for an update. I wonder if I didn't email them, if it would have taken longer.

Email them using the address they supplied to get an update on your case. They reply surprisingly quickly

Thanks for the Advice...I'm going to email them.

mrjocko

May 10, 2012
Re: Landing Question

computergeek said:
Unless your passport expires before January 14, 2013, your COPR will expire on January 13, 2013 (one year from your medicals).

DM means they have issued your COPR and sent it back (I got DM on the day I received my COPR).

Land doesn't mean move. So yes, you can just show up at the border, execute your COPR and then head home. If you don't have an address you have 180 days to give it to them, or you can give them a temporary address for sending the PR card.

Since you're a US citizen, you won't need the PR card (not even to fly - I've already done it once). The airlines just don't ask for US citizens (or other visa-exempt travelers). Once you get to a POE, you can show your COPR and they'll be fine with it.

This "land first move later" is rather common.

Congratulations!
Great to hear. Thank you!

cdn1

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2012
AOR Received.
July-2012
File Transfer...
July-2012
Med's Done....
March 2012
Passport Req..
Nov. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Just received my GCMS for our file.
Mostly looks good, although it seems the security check is not complete. They have hidden the status of that almost everywhere.

Criminality & Eligibility is passed everywhere in the notes though, and I see a Jan2013 due date on "assignment" to somebody.

waiting for PPR....

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
santoki said:

Email them using the address they supplied to get an update on your case. They reply surprisingly quickly.

I emailed them. Here is they replied back with: "Please refer to frequently asked questions at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
What's your timeline?

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
santoki said:
What's your timeline?

Category........: Spouse
Visa Office......: Ottawa
App. Filed.......: 03-12-2012
AOR Received.: 08-21-2012
Med's Done....: 07-19-2012
Passport Req..: Waiting...

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
Hm, it looks like your AOR took much longer than expected. Did you submit a completed file?

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Can someone please help:

I submitted my complete file, but they requested 1-additional form, which I completed and sent back within two days. Then My file got sent to Ottawa as of September 4. How long could the process take from here?

Thanks