+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintain PR Status....Relocating to US for work!!!

Siddu's

Sep 13, 2017
Hi,
I entered Canada on a Work Permit on 12-Mar-2016 and I got PR (date of landing) on 26-Oct-2017 and valid until 11-Dec-2022. Now my company (India based) is asking me to relocate to USA, most probably I would be relocating to US early December'2018. However, my husband is planning to stay here in Canada to complete the 2-yr tenure (i.e., 730 days) before he joins us.
I have couple of questions -
1. Do we need to be Physically present in Canada for PR renewal?
2. Shall We come back to Canada on & off during this 5-year period to compensate 2-year stay in Canada for PR renewal (staying with Friends)...does this count as stay in Canada (visiting, without any permanent address)?
3. Does my entire family needs to be here for PR renewal?
4. Since I might have shortage of days to meet the 2-yr stay requirement, will we (my Kids + myself) get any benefit if my husband has successfully met the requirements for PR renewal.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I entered Canada on a Work Permit on 12-Mar-2016 and I got PR (date of landing) on 26-Oct-2017 and valid until 11-Dec-2022. Now my company (India based) is asking me to relocate to USA, most probably I would be relocating to US early December'2018. However, my husband is planning to stay here in Canada to complete the 2-yr tenure (i.e., 730 days) before he joins us.
I have couple of questions -
1. Do we need to be Physically present in Canada for PR renewal?
2. Shall We come back to Canada on & off during this 5-year period to compensate 2-year stay in Canada for PR renewal (staying with Friends)...does this count as stay in Canada (visiting, without any permanent address)?
3. Does my entire family needs to be here for PR renewal?
4. Since I might have shortage of days to meet the 2-yr stay requirement, will we (my Kids + myself) get any benefit if my husband has successfully met the requirements for PR renewal.
1) Yes, unless you meet one of the very few exemption criteria.
2) You only need to be physically present. It doesn't matter why you are here.
3) Yes, every family member is responsible for their own compliance with the Residency Obligations.
4) None at all. See 3).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your husband will also have to declare your income. Make sure to cancel child tax benefit and inform provincial healthcare that you are moving. Your coverage expires if you are out of the country for usually 6-7 months.

Siddu's

Sep 13, 2017
1) Yes, unless you meet one of the very few exemption criteria.
2) You only need to be physically present. It doesn't matter why you are here.
3) Yes, every family member is responsible for their own compliance with the Residency Obligations.
4) None at all. See 3).
Thank you for the clarification...