+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing PR Card

omsaiom

Aug 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Members,

Recently I completed my landing and returned to my home country after two weeks to wrap-up my life here and move permanently to Canada.
I was reading through various topics that if someone mails the PR card outside Canada, there are chances that the PR card canbe confiscated.

I am worried now and was wondering has someone did the same thing and asked someone to mail their PR card to them in their home country and than again re-entered Canada.

While leaving Canada, do they note that the person left without PR card?

Has some one faced a situation where their PR card was confiscated while it was sent through mail (Fed-Ex, DHL etc) and what they did next.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It is fine to have the PR card mailed to you while you are outside Canada.

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
It is fine to have the PR card mailed to you while you are outside Canada.
I don't know if this is strictly true, the PR card is a highly official document and if customs find it then I think there is a chance it will be confiscated, just like if you were to mail a passport and it got found. It's not likely it would be discovered, but the risk is there. There are plenty of cases of people who try to bring other people's credit card and passports through customs, and usually if they get found then it gets confiscated.

To the OP, by leaving Canada before receiving your PR card you have knowingly taken the risk of losing your card and having to apply for it all over again. I think the only advise I can give you is to tell whoever is mailing your card overseas to strap it to the inside of a birthday card or something, so at least it's not obvious you're sending something as official as a PR card ::)

Edit: or just do as the below poster says \/\/\/

aditik15

Jun 28, 2015
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
21-11-2016
Nomination.....
15-12-2016
AOR Received.
02-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
LANDED..........
26-04-2017
jamezmoran said:
I don't know if this is strictly true, the PR card is a highly official document and if customs find it then I think there is a chance it will be confiscated, just like if you were to mail a passport and it got found. It's not likely it would be discovered, but the risk is there. There are plenty of cases of people who try to bring other people's credit card and passports through customs, and usually if they get found then it gets confiscated.
Agree. The Oinp certificate sent to me was scanned by the customs. I would make out as the envelope was cut open.
You need to apply for a PR travel doc. Call your vo for more info.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There's no law against mailing a PR card outside of Canada. People do it everyday without issue.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hello Members,

Recently I completed my landing and returned to my home country after two weeks to wrap-up my life here and move permanently to Canada.
I was reading through various topics that if someone mails the PR card outside Canada, there are chances that the PR card canbe confiscated.

I am worried now and was wondering has someone did the same thing and asked someone to mail their PR card to them in their home country and than again re-entered Canada.

While leaving Canada, do they note that the person left without PR card?

Has some one faced a situation where their PR card was confiscated while it was sent through mail (Fed-Ex, DHL etc) and what they did next.

Best Regards,
OMSAIOM
I landed last year and I'm currently awaiting my PR card to be mailed to me by a friend. I wasn't asked anything while leaving Canada; they only care about your US documents (since I was returning to US). I also got my PRTD and visited a second time without any issues.
Note: my PR card was delayed for photo reasons but it was recently approved and I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery to my US address after a friend mails it.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I got my PR card in the mail today. No problems at all. It didn't look the package was opened by customs so all is well!