+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mailing PR card duration & pick up from CIC office

Miro_Dida

Mar 28, 2016
Any one help please:

Application Received :March 12, 2015.
Processing application : April 22, 2015.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved : May 12, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

Today is June 21 st, 2016, is this normal that mailing the PR card takes that long since the approval. ( almost 30 working days) ?! :'(
Also does anyone was called for the card pick up from the CIC office?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
the PR card processing centre is in Nova Scotia. How long it takes for it to be mailed to you depends on where it is being mailed to. REmember a few things:
1. just because it was approved on May 12, doesn't mean it was MAILED on may 12.
2. canada post is slow, and does not deliver on saturday or sunday, so you can't count those days in your delivery timeline.
3. There was a federal holiday at the end of may, so that is another day mail was not delivered.

If it's lost in the mail (happened to me), you need to call the cic call centre, choose the option to get connected to the PR card processing centre in Sydney, NS and talk to an agent there. They will explain where to find the lost pr card document that you can send to them to inquire about it's whereabouts. if it got sent back to them, they will re-mail it. when i did this, i got it 2 weeks after submitting my inquiry. You might have luck googling "Lost Canadian PR card inquiry" to find the form you need to fill out. I don't remember the name or document number.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
The process is not over yet.
Wait for a further line in your ecas which will tell you if they mailed it or you have to go and pick it up in person.

ASAINI

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
Almost_Canadian said:
The process is not over yet.
Wait for a further line in your ecas which will tell you if they mailed it or you have to go and pick it up in person.
I dont think ecas will be updated anymore but I am not sure.
I have the following timeline:

We received your application for a permanent resident card on February 23, 2016.
We started processing your application on March 30, 2016.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on April 21, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office

I received the card in last week of April and ecas as of June 21st 2016 still shows the above mentioned three lines only, nothing regarding whether it is mailed, etc.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
ASAINI said:
I dont think ecas will be updated anymore but I am not sure.
I have the following timeline:

We received your application for a permanent resident card on February 23, 2016.
We started processing your application on March 30, 2016.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on April 21, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office

I received the card in last week of April and ecas as of June 21st 2016 still shows the above mentioned three lines only, nothing regarding whether it is mailed, etc.
Your situation is very different than the OP's since yours (it appears) was routinely processed. Most routinely processed PR card applications result in the card being mailed to the PR upon approval. In contrast, the OP applied for the card during a brief stay in Canada, after moving abroad, after what appears to have been a somewhat contentious PoE interaction upon arriving in Canada (which probably resulted in a FOSS note), and that was nearly a year before you applied.

In the OP's situation, which is clearly a difficult one unfortunately, it is far more likely that IRCC will send a notice that the card can be picked up at the local IRCC office. But the OP is not in a position to travel to Canada to pick up the card. That is indeed a serious problem, particularly since the OP is continuing to live abroad and will approach being in breach of the PR RO no later than when the OP has been abroad three years (unless the OP returns to and spends time in Canada).

I posted more in-depth observations regarding the OP's situation in the other topic largely about the same imbroglio.

dpenabill said:
As I observed before, it appears your application has been approved but that you will probably be sent a notice to pick up the card in person. That it will not be mailed to you. But I am no expert. I have no inside IRCC information. I am just offering an observation based on following PR card renewal issues for about eight years now, backed-up by doing a fair amount of homework (reading actual cases as published by official sources in addition to following reports in this and other forums).

As I previously stated, there has been at least one participant in this forum reporting that the new card was mailed after Secondary Review, but my sense is that is unusual, not the ordinary practice, that the ordinary practice is to send a notice to the PR to come and pick up the PR card in person (again, when there has been Secondary Review and it is different for routinely processed card applications).

You do not indicate how it is that you continue to be in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Since you report being divorced, and having moved abroad following or pursuant to that, my guess is that your compliance with the PR RO was based on time in Canada prior to the divorce. If this is the case, when you approach being abroad for three years (that is, as it gets closer to having been three years since you moved to your home country), you will be approaching a breach of the PR RO, and when you are in breach that will likely result in the loss of PR status.

In any event, the PoE officer was largely correct: IRCC (in March 2015 it was CIC) overtly discourages the practice of PRs living abroad renewing their PR card unless and until they return to actually live in Canada. Technically a person who has PR status is entitled to a PR card, but the purpose is nonetheless to provide a status card to persons who have PR status who are actually permanently residing in Canada. And persons not residing in Canada, let alone not permanently settled and residing in Canada, are outside the scope of what PR status is intended for, even if they otherwise technically meet the minimum requirements to have PR status. IRCC does not make it easy for such individuals. Actually, they deliberately make it more difficult (hence, for example, the rule that the PR card application can only be made in Canada).

Given the nature of the PoE experience, suggests that you either were already been flagged to some extent, or at the least are now flagged. And indeed, a FOSS flag based on that interaction at the PoE in March 2015 may have been what triggered the referral to Secondary Review . . . at that time CIC, and now IRCC, specifically looked for indications the applicant for a new/renewed PR card might be residing abroad even though making the application from within Canada, and if so that was reason for a Secondary Review.

I realize I am not offering you any solution to your actual problem: personal circumstances making travel to Canada prohibitive. I do not know a solution. Financial help from somewhere, someone perhaps. I'm guessing the other parent is not willing or in a position to finance your return to Canada despite the fact you will end up losing PR status and thus might not be able to accompany your child to Canada in the future. I realize this is probably a very difficult situation and time for you.

But it is foreseeable that unless you return to live in Canada, you will likely lose PR status. This will not affect your child's Canadian citizenship.

TJKhalil

Jun 2, 2017
Hey guys, i mailed my application on May 17th 2017 and i wana know how long will it take to get my PR card mailed, so from day 1 (mailing my application on may 17) to the day i should receive it in the mail..what is the average wait time..because i need to leave Canada before mid August..

Thank You

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah but I Wana know if i will receive it exactly 66 days from mailing the application So if I mail it May 17 will it arrive July 23-24 (66 days) or later cause I need before mid August if possible
There is no guarantee how long any particular individual's application will take. The processing time line posted by IRCC merely reflects how long most routinely processed applications have, at the time, been taking. This can vary month to month, and indeed this has varied extensively over time, and can easily increase to three or four months, or even six months (and in the not so distant past was even much longer for awhile). And there is no guarantee the particular individual will be processed within the time period for most routine applications.

You appear to have a few weeks leeway. Odds are probably good you will receive the PRC by mid-August IF your case is very much a routine case (such as, for example, you have been living and working permanently in Canada for several years now, clearly permanently settled in Canada since at least 2014 or before) . But no guarantee.

TJKhalil

Jun 2, 2017
There is no guarantee how long any particular individual's application will take. The processing time line posted by IRCC merely reflects how long most routinely processed applications have, at the time, been taking. This can vary month to month, and indeed this has varied extensively over time, and can easily increase to three or four months, or even six months (and in the not so distant past was even much longer for awhile). And there is no guarantee the particular individual will be processed within the time period for most routine applications.

You appear to have a few weeks leeway. Odds are probably good you will receive the PRC by mid-August IF your case is very much a routine case (such as, for example, you have been living and working permanently in Canada for several years now, clearly permanently settled in Canada since at least 2014 or before) . But no guarantee.
Thank you so much, that's what I needed to know.

Thank you so much, that's what I needed to know