+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost pr card, can I apply?

Apr 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have lost my pr card and I need to apply for a new one.

I landed in Canada in 2011, got my pr card in 2012, which will be expired in April 2017.
I have stayed in Canada 450 days since 2011 "since landing", so I still don't meet the RO. but my pr card is still valid for about a year.

Am I going to be in a trouble if I applied for a renewal now as I still don't meet the RO?

Warmest regards!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
emily.anderson said:
Am I going to be in a trouble if I applied for a renewal now as I still don't meet the RO?
Yes, if you've spent 3 or more years outside Canada since you landed as a PR, then you can expect any application for a new PR card to trigger a residency investigation and result in CIC revoking your PR status due to not meeting RO. You could then appeal that based on H&C reasons if you think you qualify.

Else, you should wait until you've resided in Canada 2 out of a rolling 5 years before applying for a new card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Yes, if you've spent 3 or more years outside Canada since you landed as a PR, then you can expect any application for a new PR card to trigger a residency investigation and result in CIC revoking your PR status due to not meeting RO. You could then appeal that based on H&C reasons if you think you qualify.

Else, you should wait until you've resided in Canada 2 out of a rolling 5 years before applying for a new card.
Agreed. It does not matter how long your PR card was valid. If you apply now, they will look at the past 5 years, whether you meet the RO or not. You should wait until you meet the RO.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
emily.anderson said:
Hi everyone,

I have lost my pr card and I need to apply for a new one.

I landed in Canada in 2011, got my pr card in 2012, which will be expired in April 2017.
I have stayed in Canada 450 days since 2011 "since landing", so I still don't meet the RO. but my pr card is still valid for about a year.

Warmest regards!
Basically concur in responses so far. Generally, not a good idea to apply to replace the PR card until you are in actual compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Obviously, best to remain in Canada now until you are in compliance and it is important to continue to be in compliance looking back over the previous five years (in other words, if you were in Canada in 2011 and 2012, remember that when those days are more than five years ago they will fall outside the time period that counts).

A clarification:

Leon said:
Agreed. It does not matter how long your PR card was valid. If you apply now, they will look at the past 5 years, whether you meet the RO or not. You should wait until you meet the RO.
If you apply now they will look at your presence to date and include any days between now and the actual fifth anniversary of the date you landed. As noted, date on the PR card itself is not relevant. What matters is the date you landed. Until the fifth anniversary of that date, a PR gets credit for all days present in Canada and all days left until the fifth anniversary.

From your report (landed 2011, PR card not issued until April 2012, 450 days in Canada), it appears you probably landed in the latter part of 2011. If so, days between now and the corresponding date this year thus count toward compliance. But there are not enough days left in the year to total enough to bring you into compliance. That is, it is apparent you have been outside Canada more than 1095 days since the date you landed.

Examples:

-- if you landed December 31, 2011, as of today you have credit for 450 plus (approximately) 265 days

-- if you landed November 30, 2011, as of today you have credit for 450 plus (approximately) 235 days

-- if you landed May 1, 2011, you only have credit for 450 plus (approximately) 21 days

Obviously, however, again, since you landed in 2011, there are not enough days left until the fifth year anniversary to total the 730 days requisite to meet the PR RO.