+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card and out of the country

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
HI!

I´ve been asking for alot of info here since my husband and I decided t move back to canada but we were never quite sure as of what to do.

We decided it was best for him to go first. He is currently in Canada, already working for the Union and I plan on going before Sept 18 (which is my 1095 absent day deadline).

I have 2 children that were born in Portugal. Have no idea what to say to the immigration officer when I arrive.
The issue here is that I had to send my PR Card to Service Canada while I was living in Portugal and they never mailed it back to me. I have tried to get into contact with them but they have not answered any of my letters. I have no COPR either. the only thing I have is my PR number which I remember (not sure if that will help in any way :/).

What do I need to do to re-enter Canada? Will my children have any problems? We are form Portugal so no TRP/TRV is needed.

Is it best to go to Canada with a return ticket and probably not have any questions asked or fly to canada with a 1 way ticket?

Much help is needed!

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You probably can return to Canada on the strength of your Portuguese passport.

BTW, do you have a copy of your PR card? If so combined with a US visa, you can cross a land border from the US to Canada. Recently I seen somewhere in this forum a poster had similar experience.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have 3 options.

1) Trying to enter without mentioning that you are a PR. If they see in the computer that you are a PR, they will ask you about why you are trying to hide it. This would be good if they don't realize that you are a PR but more hassle if they do. If you are still using the same passport, they will probably see that you are a PR by scanning it.

2) Trying to enter by saying you are a PR but completely without any paperwork. Either they see on the computer that you are telling the truth and let you enter as a PR or they let you enter as a tourist.

3) Apply for a travel document before going which may delay your return.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
Leon said:
You have 3 options.

1) Trying to enter without mentioning that you are a PR. If they see in the computer that you are a PR, they will ask you about why you are trying to hide it. This would be good if they don't realize that you are a PR but more hassle if they do. If you are still using the same passport, they will probably see that you are a PR by scanning it.

2) Trying to enter by saying you are a PR but completely without any paperwork. Either they see on the computer that you are telling the truth and let you enter as a PR or they let you enter as a tourist.

3) Apply for a travel document before going which may delay your return.

option 1 is exactly what i am afraid of, although, i am not using the same passport. i had to renew mine.

option 2 is what i am planning on doing but then i would automatically have to buy a return ticket instead of a one-way ticket. (i´m also worried about my 2 children).

option 3 i have done before and i'm not sure they'll give me one again. the first time i was issued a travel document it took about 2 weeks but now it may be different and take longer and i have only until the 18th of september to return to canada (1095 day limit).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What is the Immigration status of the children? You can't just take them to Canada without sorting out the correct paperwork for them. You will also need written permission from the father to take them with you, even if it's to join him.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are visa exempt, they will let them in. That is not a problem. However, when travelling alone with children, a letter from the other parent is needed.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
While they may be let into Canada, surely there still needs to be the correct paperwork filed for passports etc. before travel.
Then, depending on their citizenship, will they then not need to be sponsored in the normal fashion? A previous post indicates that neither parent is a Canadian citizen and the children were born outside Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No paperwork needs to be filed before travel if they are visa exempt. She will enter Canada with her kids and state that yes, she does realize she needs to sponsor her children but as a PR, she must be in Canada in order to sponsor them so that is why she is bringing them. Not like she can just leave them back in old country on their own. After all they are only children.

It is only a problem when the kids are not visa exempt. Then the PR parent would have to apply for a TRV for the kids before travelling. TRV could be denied based on that the kids are not visiting, they will be staying permanently. Then there is an option to try for a TRP. However, that is not the case here as the kids are visa exempt.

europe

Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
File Transfer...
16-05-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012 redo the medical February 05 2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 in process from that date nov 16 asking for the military booklet
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-05-2013 thnx god is over
Leon said:
No paperwork needs to be filed before travel if they are visa exempt. She will enter Canada with her kids and state that yes, she does realize she needs to sponsor her children but as a PR, she must be in Canada in order to sponsor them so that is why she is bringing them. Not like she can just leave them back in old country on their own. After all they are only children.

It is only a problem when the kids are not visa exempt. Then the PR parent would have to apply for a TRV for the kids before travelling. TRV could be denied based on that the kids are not visiting, they will be staying permanently. Then there is an option to try for a TRP. However, that is not the case here as the kids are visa exempt.
SaraDenise

Just Follow Leon words, he is the right one, dont listen to anybody else

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Having entered with my PR partner, I can confirm that when the border officer scans your passport, it does come up with all of your PR information. And as it is possible that the PR info is attached in the system to your personal details, not just the passport number, there is a good chance that your new passport will probably still bring up all of your PR details.

Because of that, I wouldn't suggest you pretend you are just a tourist. If you do tell the officer you are a tourist, and then they scan the passport and see you are actually a PR, that will cause problems.

Do as suggested above, enter as a PR and inform the officer that you lost your PR card while abroad and are going to apply for a new one once you are inside Canada.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
Leon understood me completely...you have helped me before in other posts so many thanks to you for all the help.

Hopefully my honesty will pay off ;)