+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card after soft landing

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Reposting- as I had posted in wrong forum earlier

We currently staying in the US and plan to immigrate to Canada early next year. We flew into Toronto and did a soft landing there in Sept 2018. At that time, we only stayed in Canada for 3 days. We got our PR cards delivered to a friend place who lives in Canada. Unfortunately he has lost my husband’s PR card.

At this point we are thinking the following for getting his replacement PR card: We are in Portland so my husband can travel to Vancouver by road, enter Canada using COPR and stay there overnight and apply for PR card. Logistically this seems the easiest option for us. Based on the current family situation, he can do this sometime in September.

I had the following questions:

1. Is the above option viable or should we look at getting a PRTD instead?

2. If we go with the above option, can we take our own car or is it recommended to take rental car?

3. Is it okay to just enter Canada for a day and re-apply for the lost PR card?

4. Since we have only been in Canada for 3 days and it would be more than a year since our landing, would that raise any particular flag?

5. On the PR card application, there is a section regarding consent for review of federal taxes. We did not file any Canadian tax return in 2019 as we have no income there. Is this a problem?

6. I have read a few times on this forum that PRTD is sometimes given for multiple year and multiple entry. In that case, should my husband just try to get PRTD and use it to visit Canada (for his job interviews etc.) and apply for PR card only once we have moved there? Or is the physical PR card required even before moving (e.g. companies needing it for employment purpose, etc.)?

Any information/suggestion would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If the replacement PR card application requires you to prove that you are staying in Canada, then he will not be able to show it in just one day.

For traveling to Canada via US land border in a private car, he does not need the card (nor PRTD). He can simply do nothing until he plans to move permanently.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Thank you for replying. The replacement PR card application does not explicitly ask to prove presence in Canada. It just says that PR card can only be requested from within Canada. And asks for mailing address. We were thinking it would be simpler to have a document (PR card or PRTD) since we will be actively looking for jobs.