+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost passport just after recieving my study visa approval letter

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
If the passport gets officially cancelled and stamped by the passport office ... U could use the old one. But ring up the embassy call center to confirm this because any misinformation could jeopardize your travel. Alternatively you could google search the validity of your old TRV.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/valid-multiple-visa-in-old-passport-can-i-enter-canada.85627/

Try searching the CIC sites. You may get specific question / answer about your case.

Anand Hirulkar

Oct 6, 2019
If the passport gets officially cancelled and stamped by the passport office ... U could use the old one. But ring up the embassy call center to confirm this because any misinformation could jeopardize your travel. Alternatively you could google search the validity of your old TRV.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/valid-multiple-visa-in-old-passport-can-i-enter-canada.85627/

Try searching the CIC sites. You may get specific question / answer about your case.
Okay. I will check the validity for old passport.

Thank you so much for your valuable time

Anand Hirulkar

Oct 6, 2019
I went to the regional passport office surrendered my old(lost) passport. They gave a cancelled stamp on it and to use the visa they provided me with the certificate stating that the certificate is issued to use the valid visa in it.

I forwarded this info to immigration office in banglore(BAGLR-IMMIGRATION@intenational.gc.ca) and they replied me this -

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent enquiry to the Migration Section of the Consulate General of Canada in Bengaluru.

You may wish to have the visa in your older passport cancelled and a replacement visa (with the same validity) placed in your new passport. There is a fee for this service. The current fee for replacement or re-issuance of an immigration document can be found at this link on our website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp#other

Submit the forms and fees to VFS. Visit the website links below for instructions.

What should I do now? Should travel with old passport which contains visa or should I get visa stamped again on new one? I dont have enough time now

Please guide me.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
The current processing time for replacement of valid document is 1 month. However as per 13.18 para of port of entry guidelines , you may be allowed inside Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

There could be some problem at the airline office .... You will need to explain it to them . If your ticket has been purchased on old passport ...then in their database , everything should be fine . But tell about your new passport to the airlines . However do carry both the passports at all the time .

Do consult others , even though , in my personal opinion everything should be fine. However do search these forums for more clarity.

Anand Hirulkar

Oct 6, 2019
The current processing time for replacement of valid document is 1 month. However as per 13.18 para of port of entry guidelines , you may be allowed inside Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

There could be some problem at the airline office .... You will need to explain it to them . If your ticket has been purchased on old passport ...then in their database , everything should be fine . But tell about your new passport to the airlines . However do carry both the passports at all the time .

Do consult others , even though , in my personal opinion everything should be fine. However do search these forums for more clarity.
Thank you so much for your reply.

I have not yet booked the flight.
Should I book it with the new passport?

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
I have read in some tripadvisor question answer that they always faced a query at the airport when they had booked with the new passport . But all were sorted out . Best thing is to consult the airlines on which you would travel. It is the airlines which would allow you to fly. I don't think any problem would arise at POE with the two passport together.

Otherwise if you have time why don't you go for replacement of document . Ask for timelines with the vfs Bangalore .

Anand Hirulkar

Oct 6, 2019
I have read in some tripadvisor question answer that they always faced a query at the airport when they had booked with the new passport . But all were sorted out . Best thing is to consult the airlines on which you would travel. It is the airlines which would allow you to fly. I don't think any problem would arise at POE with the two passport together.

Otherwise if you have time why don't you go for replacement of document . Ask for timelines with the vfs Bangalore .

I have cancelled stamp on my old(lost) passport from RPO and a certificate stating that they returned me the old passport as it has valid visa and I neef to use it.

Will this certificate be enough? Its from the officer of regional passport office.

tankarla

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
I have cancelled stamp on my old(lost) passport from RPO and a certificate stating that they returned me the old passport as it has valid visa and I neef to use it.

Will this certificate be enough? Its from the officer of regional passport office.
Yes, It should do. The Indian immigration may have objection if you put old passport number in the ticket. Not sure. Therefore , my personal advice , do put new passport number and travel with both the passports. Do consult the Airlines also.

Last edited:

Anand Hirulkar

Oct 6, 2019
I have edited my reply slightly by adding about immigration without changing the information you sought. Best wishes.
Thank you so much. I can't and will not put old passport number as it's officially cancelled and there is an observation on my new passport that the old one is lost. Therefore, I will only give new passport number while booking the tickets.