+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Passport after COPR has been issued. Is a new COPR required?

R0cket

Apr 30, 2009
Hi,

I'm from a visa waiver country and I have been issued a COPR recently.

Unfortunately my Passport was lost and I had to get a new one. The COPR contains the Passport number and Validity date of my old Passport. The old passport was valid for 7 more years. The new one is valid for ten years now.

Does anyone know whether I can land with a new Passport and a COPR that contains the passport number of my lost passport or do I need to get a new COPR before I can land?

I would be thankful if anyone could answer this question!

Thanks!

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
R0cket said:
Hi,
I'm from a visa waiver country and I have been issued a COPR recently.
Unfortunately my Passport was lost and I had to get a new one. The COPR contains the Passport number and Validity date of my old Passport. The old passport was valid for 7 more years. The new one is valid for ten years now.
Does anyone know whether I can land with a new Passport and a COPR that contains the passport number of my lost passport or do I need to get a new COPR before I can land?
I would be thankful if anyone could answer this question!
Thanks!
You need to inform your visa office and send them your new passport, they will issue a new CoPR. The information on CoPR and that of passport should be exctly matching. While landing for the fist time you would see that the immigration officer would be checking and making tick marks on each detail on CoPR.

R0cket

Apr 30, 2009
OK. Thanks for the reply.

But I hope that this is not a big deal for the visa office in term of delays etc. right?

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
R0cket said:
OK. Thanks for the reply.

But I hope that this is not a big deal for the visa office in term of delays etc. right?
Verification may take some time. Do send police report for the lost document
gud luk
asyousuf

quebeceram

Nov 11, 2012
I am interested if you could tell me abouth the process after losing the passport? Did you need a new COPR? Did you get it? How did you request it?
-in the same situation

R0cket

Apr 30, 2009
Hi,

no I didn't need a new COPR. But that information is apparently not known to all immigration officers and also on the forum you receive conflicting infos, as you can see from the posts above. SOme said that I need to send it back some said it wasn't necessary. SO I plunged into the cold water but luckily the immigration officer at the airport changed the new Passport number and Issue date by hand. She didn'T know it either and had to ask a more senior officer who told her to do so. And I became a Landed immigrant that day. ;-) Yeah!!!

If that officer wouldn't have known that you can adjust such data manually, then I would have probably been screwed, deported, electrocuted and what ever. But luckily some people in CIC can indeed use their brains.

So if apart from the Passport number and issue date everything else is ok, then your chances are good, that you can land with the old COPR. But if you have enough time, and you can trust the Mail in your country then you schould get your COPR updated to be sure not to get unpleasent surprices on the day of your landing.

Unfortunately the answer is maybe. The law says that you schould be admitted with a new passport. But unfortunately not every immigration officer makes his homeworks and knows that. If you do not want to get your COPR updated then you have to rely on your luck!!!

I was just too scared after all that crap that had happened with my application that I did not want to give my COPR out of my hands once I had it. SO I took the risk and traveled to Canada with my old COPR and hey yeah it worked out. But I left enough time so that in case I was denied entry that I would have updated my COPR.