+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost my status as a worker, want to be a student.

PieroG

Jul 5, 2013
Hello!

I just lost my status as a worker in Canada this week, and because I won't be able to get a work permit (LMO rules changed) I want to restore my status and be a student.

My question is, should I still "restore" my status and pay the student permit fees or what? since my latest visa was a working visa does it make sense to restore it to a student visa?

And where should I apply for my student visa? Inside Canada? or outside? I heard I could restore my visa inside canada (So it takes less time) but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

sidejacker

Sep 11, 2013
Restoration is only good when you're restoring your status under the same category. You got 90 days to do a restoration from the date your work permit expired. Since you've mention its impossible for you to get an lmo then that is no longer an option. You can't apply for a new category when your status expired. You must submit a new application before it expires so that you can be on implied status. Otherwise you must exit Canada before you go out of status. If you choose to stay beyond the allowed date-even for a day, then face the consequences of violating immigration law.

PieroG

Jul 5, 2013
Are you sure? When I went to the CIC website to try to apply online I selected that I had an expired work permit and wanted to apply for a student permit, then they said i'd just have to pay 200$ more.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

PieroG

Jul 5, 2013
First I selected I was a worker, then I selected that my status last status already expired and they said:

Your status has expired within the last 90 days. To restore your status, you must pay $200.
If you do not restore your status, you will no longer be legally allowed to stay in Canada.
Do you want to apply to restore your status?

and then in the end:

Studying in Canada – Your personal checklist

Based on your answers, you may be eligible to come to Canada as a student.