Lost in Postdoctoral Fellowship

Dreamlandvisa

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I am on a Post doctoral Fellowship WP and have applied for CEC and have the AOR email.

On my visa the employment location is "Montreal" where I was working till now, and for the occupation type reads "postdoctoral fellowship"

I just recently lost my job and wanna look for other employers.

1. Can I work for any other employer outside Montreal or province of Quebec? Because I want to move out of Quebec.

2. Do i need a LMIA to change my employer?

3. Can I just wait until I got my PR without working?

4. Do I need to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit? On CIC, one of the conditions for BOWP is that the "WP will expire within the next 4 months" but mine will expires in 6 months?

Appreciate your thoughts.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Is your work permit open or closed?

kyse

Aug 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Dreamlandvisa said:
I think it is closed cause it mentions my employer's name on it.
I am a post doc too. I think you need to do re-apply work permit from scratch. You can not work for any employer because WP is a closed one.

Dreamlandvisa

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kyse said:
I am a post doc too. I think you need to do re-apply work permit from scratch. You can not work for any employer because WP is a closed one.

I know, but do I need LMIA or at least a job offer? On the forms it asks for employer's information which I don't have any yet.

kyse

Aug 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Dreamlandvisa said:
I know, but do I need LMIA or at least a job offer? On the forms it asks for employer's information which I don't have any yet.
I think you need a job offer, and whether you need LMIA depends on your new job. I won't suggest you to apply BOWP, rule is rule, you are not qualified.
You can just wait for another two months. Now you can find some work that gives you cash and does not pay tax.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kyse said:
I think you need a job offer, and whether you need LMIA depends on your new job. I won't suggest you to apply BOWP, rule is rule, you are not qualified.
You can just wait for another two months. Now you can find some work that gives you cash and does not pay tax.
Good way to get yourself removed from Canada for working without authorization.

tortau

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Strictly speaking, you should be able to wait 2 months (but not work for another employer) and then apply for a BOWP.

According to CIC @ http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp:

To be eligible for a bridging work permit, foreign nationals must meet the following requirements:

they are currently in Canada;
they have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months;
they are the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence under the FSWP, the CEC, the FSTP, or the PNP (see note below);
they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their permanent residence application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
they have applied for an open work permit.
Although you are out of job, you still have a valid status (unless I'm misreading this), i.e. it is not expired.

EDIT: Okay, now that I think about it, I think you need to provide an employment letter ... hmm.

Dreamlandvisa

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear tortau,

OK, I think I should wait for another two months. But what is the employment letter that you said? I don't have an employer at the moment. I was dismissed.

tortau

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Take a look at the application package and make sure you are able to obtain all the documents needed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Dreamlandvisa said:
I am on a Post doctoral Fellowship WP and have applied for CEC and have the AOR email.

On my visa the employment location is "Montreal" where I was working till now, and for the occupation type reads "postdoctoral fellowship"

I just recently lost my job and wanna look for other employers.

1. Can I work for any other employer outside Montreal or province of Quebec? Because I want to move out of Quebec.

You can, if you apply for and receive a Bridging Open Work Permit. Otherwise, to change employers on a closed work permit, your new employer would need to apply for an LMIA and you obtain a new work permit before you could start working. An open work permit may be better because it allows you to change employers as needed, as long as you are eligible....

3. Can I just wait until I got my PR without working?

You can, as long as your work permit is valid (and as long as you can afford to be unemployed).

4. Do I need to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit? On CIC, one of the conditions for BOWP is that the "WP will expire within the next 4 months" but mine will expires in 6 months?

You don't have to, but it would be a good thing. The "within 4 months" part is one of the requirements. (I hope you would believe CIC before you would believe random strangers on an internet forum). What is the expiry date on your current work permit?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So unfortunately, you have to wait 2 months before you are eligible for the BOWP...