+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for PR in Canada thru studies | Need help in course selection

H

HBK

mayank_6 said:
@ HBK
Thanks !

what about my other question regarding MBA ? :)
Ha.ha...........ha......
mayank.
You want to call out from my mouth that you will get decent job after completing MBA from these school.
which i can't say my friend.

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
Hi,

I went through the whole forum and found that i am exactly in same condition where i want to do my maters just to acquire PR.
My profile is as below:-

a) Completed B.E in Information technology with 72% in 2008.
b) 3.10 Yrs. of work Experience in telecom Testing.

Looking forward for your help to suggest some decent course so that I can get some job there and can apply for PR later on.

Would appreciate your help.

Family_Guy

Apr 7, 2012
HBK said:
then its good decision. :D
What about MBA from Laurentain University?
my brother-in-law just received offer of admission from Laurentian for their 2 year MBA course.
Between Brock and Laurentian - which one would be better?

Thanks. Any help , advise is much appreciated

gogoldel

Jul 9, 2012
Hello

I have already done my MBA and have 4 years of exp(3 years in sales and since last year working in imports logistics for an engg. firm). Got 106 in Toefl Since I already have a MBA degree, I really don't think going for another MBA will be feasible.

I was looking at those 1 year certificate Marketing research courses from colleges like Algonquin. But after learning that I would be eligible only for a 1 year PWP I am looking at other options.

I visited Chopras and was advised to go for the Master in global mgmt. program from Royal Roads uni. I really want to know what is this uni like and is the program any good???

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
sushilsrk said:
Hi,

I went through the whole forum and found that i am exactly in same condition where i want to do my maters just to acquire PR.
My profile is as below:-

a) Completed B.E in Information technology with 72% in 2008.
b) 3.10 Yrs. of work Experience in telecom Testing.

Looking forward for your help to suggest some decent course so that I can get some job there and can apply for PR later on.

Would appreciate your help.
Hi Sushil,

If you want to continue working in IT, then I suggest the Information Technology Solutions PG Certificate @ Humber College. It's a 2 years/ 4 Semesters course with September start date. You will be eligible for a 3 year open PGWP after completing any 2 years course (Certificate/Diploma/Degree). After completing this graduate certificate, work for 1 year in any skilled job (NOC 0, A or B and it does not have to be related to your field of study) and then apply for PR under CEC graduate catergory.

Else, you can also go for a Master Degree in Computer Science from any Public University. Master of Software Systems @ University of British Columbia is a good option. It is 16 months master degree including 4 months internship. But it has January intake only, and the application deadline for Jan 2013 has already passed.

Let me know if you need more information.

sushilsrk

May 16, 2012
Thanks Vivek,

But i am more keen to do PHD at later stage and that will generate stipen too and a better chance to get PR.
Can you suggest some course where i can look for same?

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
sushilsrk said:
Thanks Vivek,

But i am more keen to do PHD at later stage and that will generate stipen too and a better chance to get PR.
Can you suggest some course where i can look for same?
Hi Sushil,

If your ultimate goal is to do Phd, then I would suggest that you go for a Masters degree in your area of interest in any good public university. You can select Msc. Computer Science, Software Engineering etc. Later you can start your Phd in the same or different university.

I am sorry that I do not have much knowledge on the computer/technology courses as I am more inclined to go for a business degree/diploma.

You can google about the public universities in Canada, go through universities' websites and search for a program that interests you. wikipedia.org gives province wise list of universities. It would be a good starting point for you.

Good Luck !!! :)

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@Vivek

Can u recommend whether I should go for Business related course or should remain to IT only as I have work exp for 2+ year in Software Organization .

I have come to know that VO might raise his eyebrows if I go for Business related PG Diploma Course of 2 year as i have B.Tech in Electronics

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
mayank_6 said:
@ Vivek

Can u recommend whether I should go for Business related course or should remain to IT only as I have work exp for 2+ year in Software Organization .

I have come to know that VO might raise his eyebrows if I go for Business related PG Diploma Course of 2 year as i have B.Tech in Electronics
Hi Mayank,

I am in a similar situation as yours. I have done B.E. in Elec. & Comm. I have about six years of experience in IT, and it has been all technical stuff for me. Now I don't want to continue working in IT. I wish to move to a business related field like marketing.

Now it depends completely on what your ulimate goal is? Is it just to gain PR or change your career track?
If you want just PR, then go for IT related course of 1 year/2 years and then work in a skilled job and finally apply for PR. Almost every province in canada has PNP for international students. Otherwise there is Canadian Experience class for International Students and Temporary Foreign workers. You can apply in anyone whose criteria you meet.
I assume that if you have background in IT and do an IT related course, it might become a bit easier to get a job.

On the other hand if you want to change your career track to business field, then MBA is the best option. But yes, geting into a good B school is not a cakewalk. You need very good academics, GMAT score of over 650 (700+ for top B schools), a solid profile with good work experience(3+ years), extra curriculars etc. And ofcourse it would be expensive to pursure MBA from any of the top B schools.

For me also, getting into a good B School is a distant dream as of now. So I thought of going for a graduate certificate program of 2 years (so that I get 3 years PGWP). And I believe 5 years is good time to establish yourself.

Now geting a visa for a business related Graduate Certificate in a college could be tough. But on the other hand I feel that if we go for a general business course instead of a specialized one (like GBM of Humber or Cenetinial), then geting a visa should not be very tough. I mean if you are a genuine student with good academics and seriously show an interest to pursue a business education (through SOP etc.) then, you might get a visa who knows.. :). Well anyone can go for business education right?

But again, if you wanna go for PG certificate course, I would recommend to go for one in places like Toronto, because it would have more job opportunities. That's what I personally feel, but I may be wrong.

The choice is yours !!!

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@Vivek,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I do agree with you as i come to know all these things from the various Posts :) but getting a Visa for Business related course might be troublesome after 2+ years of Exp in IT domain so I thing I should remain stick to IT Courses as I have heard that completing a Business Courses from Community colleges hardly adds value to your profile as plethora of students go for it and IT is something technical oriented.

Yes ! PR is in my mind as well and that is why i sometimes get inclined towards Masters from any reputed and low Budget University rather than 2 years of PG Diploma from Colleges.

Also getting a loan for PG Diploma might be tweaky.

I am looking for next year Fall intake.

Could you help me in preparing LOR/SOP. What ever the sample documents you have, if you can share it on my ID mayank.tech6@gmail.com

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
mayank_6 said:
@ Vivek,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I do agree with you as i come to know all these things from the various Posts :) but getting a Visa for Business related course might be troublesome after 2+ years of Exp in IT domain so I thing I should remain stick to IT Courses as I have heard that completing a Business Courses from Community colleges hardly adds value to your profile as plethora of students go for it and IT is something technical oriented.

Yes ! PR is in my mind as well and that is why i sometimes get inclined towards Masters from any reputed and low Budget University rather than 2 years of PG Diploma from Colleges.

Also getting a loan for PG Diploma might be tweaky.

I am looking for next year Fall intake.

Could you help me in preparing LOR/SOP. What ever the sample documents you have, if you can share it on my ID mayank.tech6 @ gmail.com
Hi Mayank,

I don't have any documents or sops as of now. I never bothered to prepare unless I have a program shortlisted... :)
I would suggest to first figure out which course you want to go for and then find which universities offer that course. Then you can prepare your SOP and other documnets based on the University's requirements.

I would recommend to have a look at the website of University of British Columbia (UBC).
They have a program called Master of Software Systems. It is a 16 months program including a 4 months internship.
Tution is also not very high (I guess its around CAD 20,000, but check). Next intake is for Jan 2014.

UBC is one of the top universities in North America. You would have number of good job opportunities after studying from UBC. And Vancouver is one of the most liveable cities in the world... :)

Aarti2791

Star Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hi tiger 007,
I've completed my graduation (B.com) with an average of 58.3% I plan to do a Global business management course from Humber college (2 year course) I know a 2 year course enables you to get a 3 year work permit but are there job opportunities available for this course. Other than this I'm also interested in a marketing in financial services course from George brown college but since it's a 1 year course i'm skeptical about doing it. Can you please help me. Thanks :)

ravi479

Nov 7, 2014
Hi,

I am also planning for this Global Business Management course from Humber College but really don't know the scope of job prospectus after completion of this course.

I have done 10th : 70% ,
12th( Physics,Chemistry,Math): 70%
BSc( Comp. Sc)-3 year from Delhi University: 57% - Got placed in TCS in 2008 but later they delayed my joining for a year due to recession.
PGDM(MBA- footwear Technology)-2 year : 70%
IELTS : Overall 6, with 6 band in each section

Currently working in E-commerce retail with 4 year of experience in Purchase department.

Can someone suggest some course in Canada which has great job prospectus and immigration possibility will be high.

Thanks