+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for advice from people that have gone through customs at Pearson Airport

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
After four months of being apart my fiance and I decided to fly me to Toronto in three weeks for two months so that we can visit and at least spend new years and Valentines day together. The last time I drove across the border I ended up with a visitor record for no reason other than the IO accused me of lying even though I was not. I think he gave me the visitor record out of pure frustration but I complied with it. I have since been away from Canada not wanting to get hassled again. However we have been waiting for a waiver to the US for my fiance and it has not come.
So since I have that little blue stamp on my passport do you think I will have an issue even though I will have a return ticket for two to three months later? Also I cant prove job ties since I am a sub contractor but I will be leaving my two children with my parents for part of my visit so would a letter of care of my children during my visit count as ties to return?
Just wondering exactly what I should have as proof of returning......

R

robrod

From my personal experience, once you get a blue stamp (meaning you had to go through secondary inspection), you will always get subsequent blue stamps as your file has been red-flagged...
All you can do is be patient, be cool and answer their questions as honest as possible. After my first blue stamp, I always got admitted (about 12 different subsequent times)... In one of those ocassions (an after an hour long secondary inspection interview), I was admitted for only 5 days just as my plane ticket was issued for and had to report for my flight back at the airport (Pearson as well)... Officers at the land border for whatever reason are tougher and meaner (also from my own experience)...
If you followed the conditions of your past visitor record, you should be allowed back in and in my opinion you do have main ties to your country (your children).
Best of luck!.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricksgirls said:
After four months of being apart my fiance and I decided to fly me to Toronto in three weeks for two months so that we can visit and at least spend new years and Valentines day together. The last time I drove across the border I ended up with a visitor record for no reason other than the IO accused me of lying even though I was not. I think he gave me the visitor record out of pure frustration but I complied with it. I have since been away from Canada not wanting to get hassled again. However we have been waiting for a waiver to the US for my fiance and it has not come.
So since I have that little blue stamp on my passport do you think I will have an issue even though I will have a return ticket for two to three months later? Also I cant prove job ties since I am a sub contractor but I will be leaving my two children with my parents for part of my visit so would a letter of care of my children during my visit count as ties to return?
Just wondering exactly what I should have as proof of returning......
You are likely to get flagged again, it is not just about the stamp in your passport, the immigration system will have your details and history - Be aware that getting called to secondary screening is not guaranteed, but you should prepare for it. I (a visa exempt Brit) was screened for ages at Pearson, not nice at all, I now fly into Ottawa, I am still usually called to secondary, but it is a lot less stressful than at Pearson.

You will need all the evidence that you can gather, not just proof of ties back to your home country (but they are very important), but proof of how you will support yourself.
Take details of the last jobs that you did, letters from your parents, appointments that you have to leave Canada for.
Also take proof (prove that you left Canada as instructed - receipts, flight details, etc.) of the fact that you obeyed the last VR.
If your fiancee is at the airport you should make sure that immigration can call her (or meet with her) to check your story.

Re-read the notes for visitors on the CIC web site - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

If I was you, I would have booked a ticket that was flexible (modifiable) and set up a shorter trip, even with a visitor record once you are in Canada you can apply to extend your stay.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
This is what I was afraid of. Funny but the last crossing at Emerson literally terrorized me. I am going to have a letter of support from my fiance saying he requested my visit and will support me during that stay. I dont have anything that shows I complied with the last VR other then I have been in the US since that time.
My fiance will be at Pearson to pick me up should there be a hassle.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This raises a general question. if your passport has been flagged, and you have to replace it because it was lost, is the new passport (with a new number) also flagged, even though the number is different?

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Oh boy, another blue stamp question. I'm flying up there the 23rd, and have a previous blue stamp from my first time at secondary. I'm looking forward to the interrogation... not. This time, however, I have my time off request from work, a written letter from my employer (dated the 20th), my return flight info, and all of the immigration stuff that's been sent to CIC thus far. I'm hoping this will make the experience a little less overwhelming, but who knows. You never know what kind of IO you'll get, there's the kinds that grill you, and the ones who couldn't care less about their jobs. Meh.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
This raises a general question. if your passport has been flagged, and you have to replace it because it was lost, is the new passport (with a new number) also flagged, even though the number is different?
Yes the passport is "flagged" but that is only part of the information held, it is YOU that they are interested in - remember how many people are questioned (refused flights),
just because they have the same name as someone on a watch list.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pharoh said:
Oh boy, another blue stamp question. I'm flying up there the 23rd, and have a previous blue stamp from my first time at secondary. I'm looking forward to the interrogation... not. This time, however, I have my time off request from work, a written letter from my employer (dated the 20th), my return flight info, and all of the immigration stuff that's been sent to CIC thus far. I'm hoping this will make the experience a little less overwhelming, but who knows. You never know what kind of IO you'll get, there's the kinds that grill you, and the ones who couldn't care less about their jobs. Meh.
The big thing you have in you favour is the past experience :)

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
My fear is refusal but not sure on what they would refuse me for. I complied with the last VR. I am going to go up there with a letter of support during my visit. A letter from daycare stating that the kids will only be in that facility for the time that I am away. A medical appt that I will have the week that I return. A letter from my parents stating that they are only watching my children for the time this visit allows.
Basically I am going to go up there tell them that I am visiting my boyfriend for the holidays. I still have no idea why the last VR was issued because it was a very confusing matter at Emerson.
I hope all that proof plus my return ticket will be enough. Also my fiance will be there at the airport waiting in case there is an issue so that he can talk to them in person should it need to go that way.
I wish there was a way to see what I was flagged for......

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
robrod thanks. Sorry for the confusion. Emerson crossing was where I was issued the VR the first time. I know there is no reason to let me visit but I was traumatized the last time lol! Hopefully I will have enough proof to satisfy!

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
I have been sent to secondary inspection the first time i entered canada as a visitor. the second time, though, I passed without any questions...the third time too, the fourth time too, the fifth time i was sent to secondary inspection. the sixth time no but last time i entered Canada yes. so you see, you never know....

R

robrod

There appears to be no science behind this after all...
Good luck with your trip to Canada, Patricksgirls!. Perhaps you won't go through secondary this time just like Inlandappl on his second trip.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
My husband came thru at Pearson in October, and that was the first border crossing for either of us since we got married in July. Even before we were married, we usually go hassled coming back into Canada. He flew into Pearson with no questions asked. They did for some reason stamp his passport but there were no questions asked. They looked at the card from the plane, and stamped that and his passport. I really hope that does not mean that he is going to have issues coming up for his 5 day visit over Christmas.....Now I am starting to worry....