+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for a Job In IT

Jul 1, 2019
Hey Guys,

I am a Portuguese citizen and will be moving to Canada in end of September. I am looking for a job in IT and was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether I should apply in advance? or once i'm there. I am also looking to find a place to stay and would like some advice on that too! Any help is appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVACE =)

Bellamy Ribeiro

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Generally unless you have some rare IT skill not readily available in Canada possibly a waste of time applying in advance although nothing to stop you applying for anything in sites such as indeed or Linkedin you might be lucky. Looked at another way if you do not try applying in advance guess you might regret it even if nothing comes of it.

As for places to stay guess might help if you share planned destination given as you hopefully know Canada is a pretty big place.

Reactions: Bellamy Ribeiro
Jul 1, 2019
Generally unless you have some rare IT skill not readily available in Canada possibly a waste of time applying in advance although nothing to stop you applying for anything in sites such as indeed or Linkedin you might be lucky. Looked at another way if you do not try applying in advance guess you might regret it even if nothing comes of it.

As for places to stay guess might help if you share planned destination given as you hopefully know Canada is a pretty big place.
Oh yes ! silly me! Im looking for places more towards the City center of Toronto.. perhaps Scarborough or North York..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh yes ! silly me! Im looking for places more towards the City center of Toronto.. perhaps Scarborough or North York..
IT is one of the position that you may get lucky and find a position before you arrive. Depending on your expertise, employers often test your skills or ask you to solve a problem as a form of an interview. Depending on your skill set there is a shortage of candidates which isn’t the case when it comes to most other jobs.

In terms of places to live you’ve covered a huge area with very different communities and price points. September is a tough time to rent because all the students are back to school and many young adults seem to operate on the May or September move-in dates. Budget and availability have a lot to do with where you’ll be able to rent as well. It will be harder to rent without a job and a credit history so that will also narrows down your choices. Maybe you want roommates if you are new to the city?

nichols19jere

Feb 15, 2019
Quebec
Category........
Applying in advance is not that bad idea after all there lot of sites were you can apply on some Canadian company. With regards on the place to stay its such great if your have family related on that area your planning to go. Just plan in advance cause probably guest house or hotel there is kinda bit expensive for sure.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey Guys,

I am a Portuguese citizen and will be moving to Canada in end of September. I am looking for a job in IT and was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether I should apply in advance? or once i'm there. I am also looking to find a place to stay and would like some advice on that too! Any help is appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVACE =)

Bellamy Ribeiro
If you are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, you may be able to pick up basic IT jobs easily, just to get you started in Canada.
If you are neither of those, expect to be disappointed.

Jul 1, 2019
IT is one of the position that you may get lucky and find a position before you arrive. Depending on your expertise, employers often test your skills or ask you to solve a problem as a form of an interview. Depending on your skill set there is a shortage of candidates which isn’t the case when it comes to most other jobs.

In terms of places to live you’ve covered a huge area with very different communities and price points. September is a tough time to rent because all the students are back to school and many young adults seem to operate on the May or September move-in dates. Budget and availability have a lot to do with where you’ll be able to rent as well. It will be harder to rent without a job and a credit history so that will also narrows down your choices. Maybe you want roommates if you are new to the city?
Yea I guess that makes sense.. I'm up for having a room mate for sure! guess its best I start off sharing and then see how it goes...any recommendations on where I can find sharing accommodation? perhaps on a certain website ??

Jul 1, 2019
If you are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident, you may be able to pick up basic IT jobs easily, just to get you started in Canada.
If you are neither of those, expect to be disappointed.
Awesome! thanks for the advice. I'm there on a working holiday visa (IEC), so my guess is it's better to be there and apply.

Jul 1, 2019
Applying in advance is not that bad idea after all there lot of sites were you can apply on some Canadian company. With regards on the place to stay its such great if your have family related on that area your planning to go. Just plan in advance cause probably guest house or hotel there is kinda bit expensive for sure.
I was thinking of looking at Studio apartments perhaps, if not, probably sharing with someone.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Awesome! thanks for the advice. I'm there on a working holiday visa (IEC), so my guess is it's better to be there and apply.
Yes. A potential employer will find it less burdensome if you have an Open Work Permit in hand. They won't need to go through the LMIA process. However, it would only be a short term employment, so they will probably expect you to be "ready to go" rather than investing a lot in training you.
Good luck!