+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long Journey to Oath -still some questions

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
u4g5 said:
Whats the story??
They just don;t seem to like , when you are not residing in Canada even though you may fulfill 2 out of 5 years or complete 3/5 for citizenship eligibility.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
Leon said:
If your wife becomes a citizen, you can meet the RO by living with her outside Canada instead of living in Canada. You need at least 730 days in any 5 year period. You could let your PR card stay expired and come back to Canada after 10 or 20 years and renew it based on that you have spent at least 2 out of the previous 5 years accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse abroad. That is as long as they don't change the rules :)
Thanks Leon! What proofs do I need to maintain to show that we are living together?

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
Leon said:
1) Do you meet the PR residency requirements? If you don't, it would be better for you to stay home for this one. Your wife can enter on her PR card as it's still valid. The danger with you entering if you don't meet the RO is that they may decide to report you and you could lose your PR in which case your wife would have to sponsor you for PR again when you want to move. If you don't lose your PR, you can bring it back into good standing simply by living with your wife in the US after she becomes a citizen.
Leon, I maintained my PR status but now out of Canada for about 2 years, PR card expiring in Sept. Can you please point to some links/docs on how to maintain PR status and what proofs I need to keep and any obligations? Do I need to renew my PR card?

Thanks a lot for your help!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
I maintained my PR status but now out of Canada for about 2 years,
So you have maintained your PR status and your residency obligation will not lapse once your wife becomes a citizen. So you will be a PR as long as you live with your wife.
akhil said:
PR card expiring in Sept. Can you please point to some links/docs on how to maintain PR status and what proofs I need to keep and any obligations?
Google for the PR card renewal form and look through it. There is information on there about what info they need for PRs living with a Canadian citizens spouse outside of Canada. From memory, I don't believe they ask for proof on the form, but even if they don't, they may ask for it later in the renewal process or if they have doubts. So, marriage certificate, wife's citizenship proof, and any proof that you are living with your wife (mortgage or rental docs with both names on it, utility bills, etc). I don't believe there is an exhaustive list of "perfect proof" anywhere, but please do let us know what you find out in your research.
akhil said:
Do I need to renew my PR card?
I personally would recommend that you renew your PR card as having a current PR card makes it easier to enter Canada with minimal worry. But do you need to renew it? No. As others have said, PR and PR cards are not the same thing. But having a PR card means that officials will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are a current PR and haven't run afoul of the residency obligations. Without a PR card, few Canadian officials will give you that benefit of the doubt since you are living outside of Canada.

Do you want to come back to Canada at any point or for any reason? Temporarily or otherwise? If yes, I recommend renewing your PR card.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
They just don;t seem to like , when you are not residing in Canada even though you may fulfill 2 out of 5 years or complete 3/5 for citizenship eligibility.
Well this is why the intent to reside kicked in in the new law.. You were supposed to be a "permanent" resident in Canada , living here all your time.. Because of cracks in the old law you were able to be PR here and elsewhere.. Most likely you will leave Canada for good now that you are in the US..
This is why the guys didn't lime it but law is law and they were not able to do anything.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
"Don't try to be on two boats at same time"

Old Story but Really Got Some Meaning !!!