+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long Journey to Oath -still some questions

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
First of all thanks to God and all forum supporters for great info here!

We moved to US after completing 1095+ days on green card but applied for citizenship.
My wife appeared first from US for Test and was given hard time at airport and a RQ But we had all proofs and sent all documents with due diligence. After almost 1 year Finally today I heard Oath Letter for my wife and my elder son!!

However I had to drop my Test.

Some concerns/questions:

1) We plan to enter by Car. My PR will be expired when we travel and my wife's one month left.
Should we rather enter on US GC? or Should I just stay away?
2)What questions to expect at entry?
3)For Oath they ask Passport, PR, Landing Doc and 2 IDs(One with Photo). Will not passport and PR card serve as ID? Concern is when they see US ID they may not feel good. Even though we plan back.
4) On coming back will we be able to apply passport from US to US address? We did it for my younger son who was born in Canada but not sure
in this case?
5) What will be the proof needed to apply passport?
6)What questions to expect at Oath?
Thanks in advance!!
Akhil

Kanata2014

Jun 18, 2014
akhil said:
First of all thanks to God and all forum supporters for great info here!

We moved to US after completing 1095+ days on green card but applied for citizenship.
My wife appeared first from US for Test and was given hard time at airport and a RQ But we had all proofs and sent all documents with due diligence. After almost 1 year Finally today I heard Oath Letter for my wife and my elder son!!

Some concerns/questions:

1) We plan to enter by Car. My PR will be expired when we travel and my wife's one month left.
3)For Oath they ask Passport, PR, Landing Doc and 2 IDs(One with Photo). Will not passport and PR card serve as ID? Concern is when they see US ID they may not feel good. Even though we plan back.
4) On coming back will we be able to apply passport from US to US address? We did it for my younger son who was born in Canada but not sure
in this case?
Thanks in advance!!
Akhil
Your wife and son should be able to go back for their oath with their still valid PR card.
I'm not sure if you can yourself if yours has expired.

For the oath, they need to bring:
PR card
Confirmation of permanent residence (the form given upon original landing)
ID (passport and provincial health card or driver's licence or provincial ID
Oath invitation letter

Apply for a rush service for the passport while they're still in Canada. I'm not sure about applying for their first Canadian passport from abroad. You can apply for an expedited passport at a cost provided you can provide proof of travel bookings.

They will need their citizenship certificate, provincial health card or driver's licence or provincial ID when applying for Canadian passport. Passport -size photos and guarantors are also needed. For rush service please make sure your guarantor

Please see Passport Canada website for details

Kanata2014

Jun 18, 2014
This is copied from the CIC website:

I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?

We do not mail permanent resident cards (PR cards) to addresses outside Canada. Please choose the option below that describes your case.

If your card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you need to tell CIC.

You may also need a passport to re-enter Canada. Please see the Canadian Border Services Agency website for what documents you will need at the border.

If you plan to return in a commercial vehicle, like a plane or bus

If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle — such as a plane, train, boat or bus — you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada.

You should also check with the commercial operator (for example, the airline or bus company you will be using) to see what documents they need.

If you return in a private vehicle, like your own car

If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, you do not need a permanent resident card. You can use your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) instead.

You would have been given these documents:

If you applied from overseas: at the same time as your visa
If you applied from within Canada: when you landed at your local visa office
An officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the residency requirements before they allow you to come back to Canada.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
Kanata2014 said:
Your wife and son should be able to go back for their oath with their still valid PR card.
I'm not sure if you can yourself if yours has expired.

For the oath, they need to bring:
PR card
Confirmation of permanent residence (the form given upon original landing)
ID (passport and provincial health card or driver's licence or provincial ID
Oath invitation letter

Apply for a rush service for the passport while they're still in Canada. I'm not sure about applying for their first Canadian passport from abroad. You can apply for an expedited passport at a cost provided you can provide proof of travel bookings.

They will need their citizenship certificate, provincial health card or driver's licence or provincial ID when applying for Canadian passport. Passport -size photos and guarantors are also needed. For rush service please make sure your guarantor

Please see Passport Canada website for details
Thanks.
So I should be able to enter on US Green Card,right? Will they accept IDs as US Driving license fro my wife?
Will the citizenship certificate issued there only (at the Oath?)
Has anyone similar experience i.e. coming from US to take Oath while you have US GC?
Any effect to my sons US citizenship?

Appreciate input!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:

Some concerns/questions:

Congratulations to your wife and son!

1) How long have you been in the US? If you have complied with your PR residence obligation (lived 2 years out of the last 5 years in Canada) I highly recommend that you apply for renewal of your PR card ASAP. The CIC will not mail it to US, so I would recommend using a Canadian mailing address checked by friends or family often.

IF you have status in Canada (haven't been out of Canada for more than 3 years in the last 5 years, you should enter on that status, rather than your US green card.

If your PR is still valid and you will have less than 3 years of absence on the day your wife and son become Canadian citizens, you can maintain your PR residency obligation by living with them (the home of a Canadian living abroad is treated almost like Canadian soil for PRs living with citizens.) It's important for all of you to have no lapses in your PR residency obligation though up until that date. Your wife and son need to be PRs on the date of their Oath. You need to maintain your PR until your wife becomes a PR.

2) Questions vary, but I recommend being prepared for "where are you going? how long will you be there? where do you live? what is the purpose of your trip? what is your status in Canada? Are you bringing any gifts with you? Is this your car?" Because you are coming from the US they will ask about any weapons, cigarettes, liquor or drugs. Always tell the simplest honest story. Keep your answers short. Never lie but do not volunteer extra information (except for things you need to declare like any liquor or cigarettes or other imports or gifts you are bringing with you). Do not start babbling. Simple, concise, honest.

Personally when I cross the US/Cdn border I try to keep my answers to 2-3 words "Visiting family" "6 days" "no/yes" "2 bottles of wine" "It's a rental", etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
in this case?
1) Do you meet the PR residency requirements? If you don't, it would be better for you to stay home for this one. Your wife can enter on her PR card as it's still valid. The danger with you entering if you don't meet the RO is that they may decide to report you and you could lose your PR in which case your wife would have to sponsor you for PR again when you want to move. If you don't lose your PR, you can bring it back into good standing simply by living with your wife in the US after she becomes a citizen.

2) They may ask about the purpose of your trip, how long you plan to stay, do you live in Canada, do you meet the RO and something along those lines.

3) Passport and PR card should be ok.

4) 5) You can see an option here: http://passport.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng for a Canadian to apply from the US so you should read through it and check if there would be any reason why you can't.

6) She already did the test so there shouldn't be any questions. They will take her PR card, she will do the oath and sing Oh Canada with the group. Afterwards, they will give her the citizenship certificate.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
4) 5) You can see an option here: http://passport.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng for a Canadian to apply from the US so you should read through it and check if there would be any reason why you can't.

6) She already did the test so there shouldn't be any questions. They will take her PR card, she will do the oath and sing Oh Canada with the group. Afterwards, they will give her the citizenship certificate.
There are over 1 million Canadian citizens who live in the USA. My husband (dual citizen US/Canada) applied for his Canadian passport from USA and had few problems, beyond finding a photographer who could deal with Canada's idiosyncratic passport photo requirements and finding a guarantor (which was a little more rigid at that time). So, as Leon says, check the passport link and read it through for specific instructions, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Regarding #6, upon check-in the officer will ask her if she has any outstanding legal issues. I suspect since you all live in the USA, the officer will also verify that your wife has not violated her PR residency obligation.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks all!

Few updates and corrections:

Correction: My PR is valid till another 1 month and my wife's 2 month.

Updates:
Both of us have fufilled 3 years+ in Canada with all proofs available(we sent with the RQ , so we have very comprehensive list).
We are out for less than 2 years.

My main concern is when my wife went for Test from US, at airport CBS gave very hard time saying we can't do this (2 countries).
However we have fulfiiled all laws,rules with proofs. So in short we are nervous crossing border. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no law that says you can't have a green card and a PR card at the same time. The requirement for the PR card is 2/5 years in Canada and for the US green card it is no more than 6 mo. outside the US at a time as well as the US can revoke your green card if they believe you to have permanently moved to another country. However, that is your problem in the US. In Canada, as long as you have 2/5 years, they can not do anything to you.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
Correction: My PR is valid till another 1 month and my wife's 2 month.

...We are out for less than 2 years.
Important precision: It is your PR card that is expiring, not your PR status. PR status does not expire unless you are not in compliance with your residency obligation (2/5 years in Canada or with Canadian spouse). Given that you have been out of Canada for less than 2 years, I very much encourage you to renew your PR card ASAP. This documentation will make it easier to maintain your PR once your wife has Canadian citizenship.

Regarding advice crossing the border: Tell the simplest honest story.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks you very much all! My wife has borders report from Canada and US but I don't. Is that a concern while corssing? I plan to carry my notice of assessment, T4 /T5 etc and utility bills etc.
Is there anything else I should carry?

Also are there any concerns if I drive my US car? I heard they object for PR people dirving their own car which belongs to other country?

Again appreciate all the help I am getting.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
eileenf said:
Important precision: It is your PR card that is expiring, not your PR status. PR status does not expire unless you are not in compliance with your residency obligation (2/5 years in Canada or with Canadian spouse). Given that you have been out of Canada for less than 2 years, I very much encourage you to renew your PR card ASAP. This documentation will make it easier to maintain your PR once your wife has Canadian citizenship.

Regarding advice crossing the border: Tell the simplest honest story.
Thanks! Hoping my wife becomes citizen, to maintain my status I need to live every 2 years out of 5 ,right(citizen wife living in US or Canada matters?)

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
Thanks! Hoping my wife becomes citizen, to maintain my status I need to live every 2 years out of 5 ,right(citizen wife living in US or Canada matters?)
If your wife becomes a citizen, you can meet the RO by living with her outside Canada instead of living in Canada. You need at least 730 days in any 5 year period. You could let your PR card stay expired and come back to Canada after 10 or 20 years and renew it based on that you have spent at least 2 out of the previous 5 years accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse abroad. That is as long as they don't change the rules :)