+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO / Visitor / Student

leahcimsehguh

Apr 12, 2012
Hey, I'm currently in Vancouver and currently have just over 6 weeks left on my working holiday visa. I'm unable to apply for a second one because of my age (I was eligible for the 2011 batch).

I've been temp working pretty much since when I arrived and the place where I am working at (for 6 months now) has promised me a job and are currently starting the LMO process. In hindsight I should have pushed through the urgency of time ticking away months ago but I just let things continue of which I hugely regret.

As I stand the job is about to be advertised on jobbank (there was a delay while their new online system was being implemented). The basic need for me right now is to stay in Canada, I'm willing to study here if the LMO gets rejected or if I run out of time but I have a few questions I'm desperate for answers for.

1. In 2-3 weeks (after jobbank advertisement) have I got enough time to apply for the LMO? If not, can I apply for temporary resident status whilst this is ongoing or can I continue working?

2. Should I be getting prepared to apply for the visitors status (ie at 30 days prior to visa expiring) and then obviously not be able to work? (Would I still be able to apply for the LMO from this new visitors status?)

3. If the LMO is rejected (and time runs out when I can work) can I change to a visitor and apply for a study permit (if I find a course and get confirmation of acceptance) or do I have to be out of Canada to apply for the study visa?

I'm still focussing on continuing to work for the company I'm temping for. I'm sure that as they are prepared to apply for the LMO they would understand if I temporarily couldn't work in the country. Would this be the best bet as time is against me?

Any help of course is hugely appreciated.

Thanks

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
leahcimsehguh said:
Hey, I'm currently in Vancouver and currently have just over 6 weeks left on my working holiday visa. I'm unable to apply for a second one because of my age (I was eligible for the 2011 batch).

I've been temp working pretty much since when I arrived and the place where I am working at (for 6 months now) has promised me a job and are currently starting the LMO process. In hindsight I should have pushed through the urgency of time ticking away months ago but I just let things continue of which I hugely regret.

As I stand the job is about to be advertised on jobbank (there was a delay while their new online system was being implemented). The basic need for me right now is to stay in Canada, I'm willing to study here if the LMO gets rejected or if I run out of time but I have a few questions I'm desperate for answers for.

1. In 2-3 weeks (after jobbank advertisement) have I got enough time to apply for the LMO? If not, can I apply for temporary resident status whilst this is ongoing or can I continue working? Not enough time; LMO processing has been 12 weeks lately.

2. Should I be getting prepared to apply for the visitors status (ie at 30 days prior to visa expiring) and then obviously not be able to work? (Would I still be able to apply for the LMO from this new visitors status?) Yes. Hopefully request for change of status is granted or processing of the request takes longer than the processing of LMO

3. If the LMO is rejected (and time runs out when I can work) can I change to a visitor and apply for a study permit (if I find a course and get confirmation of acceptance) or do I have to be out of Canada to apply for the study visa? Apply for visa outside Canada.

I'm still focussing on continuing to work for the company I'm temping for. I'm sure that as they are prepared to apply for the LMO they would understand if I temporarily couldn't work in the country. Would this be the best bet as time is against me?

Any help of course is hugely appreciated.

Thanks