+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO expired while work permit is on process

xkwzt

Dec 21, 2011
My LMO expired while application for work permit is on process. LMO expiry is July 27 2013 but I applied for work permit April 12 and visa was granted Aug 22. My friend told me that I should call the employer and tell them to apply for another LMO or else the immigration might not issue my work permit in the border just like what happened to her. So I called the cic call ctr and the agent told me to do flagpoling in the us-canada border and I should have no problem since the lmo expired while the visa is on process and I already have a work visa. Confused between the information frm two people I asked my friends aunt who works in hrsdc I asked her which info is correct but she also gave the same answer as my friend and told me that I should tell the employer to apply for another LMO. Now I'm totally confused who to listen to.

Anybody who had been to this situation that their LMO expired while work permit is on process? What happened when u came to canada and what did the immigration officer do? Thanks

FSWCIO

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2012
xkwzt said:
My LMO expired while application for work permit is on process. LMO expiry is July 27 2013 but I applied for work permit April 12 and visa was granted Aug 22. My friend told me that I should call the employer and tell them to apply for another LMO or else the immigration might not issue my work permit in the border just like what happened to her. So I called the cic call ctr and the agent told me to do flagpoling in the us-canada border and I should have no problem since the lmo expired while the visa is on process and I already have a work visa. Confused between the information frm two people I asked my friends aunt who works in hrsdc I asked her which info is correct but she also gave the same answer as my friend and told me that I should tell the employer to apply for another LMO. Now I'm totally confused who to listen to.

Anybody who had been to this situation that their LMO expired while work permit is on process? What happened when u came to canada and what did the immigration officer do? Thanks
Do what cic told u to do. just take a late acceptance letter from your employer. that should be ok.

farukSYED

Apr 7, 2012
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob152A.asp

"Note: These instructions supersede section 6 of the Temporary Foreign Workers Guidelines (FW 1). Specifically, the “Offer Valid To” date (LMO expiry date), will no longer be extended. Applicants initiating a WP application at a port of entry are required to have a valid LMO expiry date. CBSA will finalize applications that have already been initiated overseas even if the LMO expiry date has passed; the missions will have ensured that the LMO expiry date was still valid at the time of the initial application receipt."

The link above answers your question. I'm not sure if your aunt's friend knows what he/she is talking about. And I think late acceptance letter should apply to international students. Since you are not applying for a work permit at the border, you don't need an updated lmo. The visa office that process your work permit already confirmed the validity of your lmo at the time of submission, regardless if it expired during processing.

xkwzt said:

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Yeah, i am in the same boat i.e. applied for work permit in my home country, and waiting for response from Embassy and my LMO has already expired. From what i researched and know so far, it only matters that my application needs to be in the embassy BEFORE the LMO expiry date. After that it is not a problem.

At max i have heard from people (whose processing took around one full year and LMO must have expired because it is at max valid for six months), that they were asked for renewed job contract from the employer by the embassy at max.

As discussed above, and is pretty clear from the official link referred by FarukSYED, it only applies to cases who apply for work permit at Port of entry and therefore technically the day of entry is treated as date of application which is not the case when you apply for visa and work permit from your home country before setting foot in Canada.

18rhoz3e

Dec 4, 2013
good day everyone

i also applied for live in caregiver in canada and im currently working here at saudi, i alredy sent my application this december and my lmo will expire on end of march 2014, does it affect my application if my lmo will expire while my work permit is on process

thank you in advance for responding my message :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
18rhoz3e said:
good day everyone

i also applied for live in caregiver in canada and im currently working here at saudi, i alredy sent my application this december and my lmo will expire on end of march 2014, does it affect my application if my lmo will expire while my work permit is on process

thank you in advance for responding my message :)
No it does not. All that matters is your application should reach embassy (and not be returned for being incomplete) before expiry. I had applied in April, LMO expired in June and i received visas stamped around late nov.

disappointed10

Nov 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2014
Med's Done....
13-12-2014
Passport Req..
august 19 2015
Its doesnt matter if your lmo is expired as long as its on process already, i applied work permit last aug. 26 and the expiration of lmo is aug 28 and work permit was granted :)

18rhoz3e

Dec 4, 2013
hi again guys,.

my application and other documents returned by the canadian embassy due to incomplete requirements,. they did'nt accept my online payment and they need a bank draft from SABB,NCB and RIYADH BANK./ my bank here in saudi i AL RAJHI,. does al rajhi issue a bank draft?

thanks again in advance i responding my questions :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
No idea about a saudian bank. But i am pretty sure the details would be on cic's saudia web page similar to that for every country. Take a look at that and find out yourself.

In Pakistan, you have to go to SCB, pay fee in cash in PKR equivalent to CAD value and get a bank draft issued. There are only designated branches for performing this task.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
It is pretty clearly stated here:

Method of Payment

Processing fees must be paid by bank draft only and must be in Canadian dollars.

The bank draft must have been issued in the past two months and must be made payable to: “The Receiver General for Canada”.

Bank drafts must be drawn on a Canadian bank showing the full mailing address of the bank in Canada.

Important:

Bank drafts can be obtained from most financial institutions (banks) in Saudi Arabia, but MUST be drawn on a Canadian correspondent bank.
We do not accept payment by personal cheque, company cheque, drafts drawn on foreign banks, Canadian dollar drafts drawn on banks outside Canada, Canadian postal money orders or cash.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/saudi_arabia-arabie_saoudite/visas/fees-frais.aspx

I am wondering why were you asking us about a country specific detail

chief0422

Apr 6, 2011
if you apply by papers you have to pay by bank draft. If you process your visa online you can pay online.

If you prepared to process by papers, if you have friend with SABB, NCB or Riyahd Bank you can ask then to help you to have a bankdraft.

18rhoz3e said:
hi again guys,.

my application and other documents returned by the canadian embassy due to incomplete requirements,. they did'nt accept my online payment and they need a bank draft from SABB,NCB and RIYADH BANK./ my bank here in saudi i AL RAJHI,. does al rajhi issue a bank draft?

thanks again in advance i responding my questions :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

18rhoz3e

Dec 4, 2013
chief0422 said:
if you apply by papers you have to pay by bank draft. If you process your visa online you can pay online.

If you prepared to process by papers, if you have friend with SABB, NCB or Riyahd Bank you can ask then to help you to have a bankdraft.
ive already found someone who will help me to get a bank draft in SABB BANK, but he doesnt know how to fill up the form which is needed to write the BENEFICIARY's NAME, ACCT NO. ADDRESS so on and so fort,.