+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lmia contract without insurance provided

Immmhu

Jan 30, 2024
I was working for a ski hill and was injured on site but not on the clock.

In my employment contract it states that the employer would provide me with private health insurance.

The employer never told me I would purchase and they would reimburse me.

They have admitted to making the mistake after I had been injured but now they have terminated my contract due to ill health.

What can I do?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was working for a ski hill and was injured on site but not on the clock.

In my employment contract it states that the employer would provide me with private health insurance.

The employer never told me I would purchase and they would reimburse me.

They have admitted to making the mistake after I had been injured but now they have terminated my contract due to ill health.

What can I do?
You would have to sue them likely and unless you have this is writing it may be difficult to prove and it will take a lot of time. You could start with a letter from a lawyer to your employer but that may not lead to anything and may be out of reach cost wise. The fact that you weren’t hurt while working is another big issue. Would contact your local MP to see if there are any possible options. Do you have provincial health insurance? What type of health insurance were you expected to purchase? If extended health insurance as a private individual that would provide minimal coverage. How injured are you? Given that you also are no longer employed and don’t qualify for any form of unemployment you may have to return home unless you have the funds to keep supporting yourself in Canada until you are well enough and can find other employer who has an approved LMIA. You would also have to see if you were able to secure a WP if you found an employer with an LMIA.

Immmhu

Jan 30, 2024
You would have to sue them likely and unless you have this is writing it may be difficult to prove and it will take a lot of time. You could start with a letter from a lawyer to your employer but that may not lead to anything and may be out of reach cost wise. The fact that you weren’t hurt while working is another big issue. Would contact your local MP to see if there are any possible options. Do you have provincial health insurance? What type of health insurance were you expected to purchase? If extended health insurance as a private individual that would provide minimal coverage. How injured are you? Given that you also are no longer employed and don’t qualify for any form of unemployment you may have to return home unless you have the funds to keep supporting yourself in Canada until you are well enough and can find other employer who has an approved LMIA. You would also have to see if you were able to secure a WP if you found an employer with an LMIA.
Hi canuck,

Thanks you for taking the time to read and review my statement.
I am written off duties until the 14 of March.
I am currently in chat with a lawyer and have made a complaint to the government.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck,

Thanks you for taking the time to read and review my statement.
I am written off duties until the 14 of March.
I am currently in chat with a lawyer and have made a complaint to the government.

Thanks
Still unsure of what private insurance you were supposed to obtain as a WP holder unless you are IEC. Was this during the wait period before you qualify for provincial healthcare?

Immmhu

Jan 30, 2024
As the wording states it was private health care up until the period I was eligible for provincial health care.