+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application - Job advertisement period & $1000 fee for work permit

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
hariskhan said:
I'm applying for EE FSW. When do I have "valid working status" in that process ?
I think you are getting off topic. If you are getting an LMIA, you can apply for a work permit after your employer gives you the confirmation for a positive LMIA.

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Meaning, I can work after I get PR ?

I cannot have a job untill I have PR

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
hariskhan said:
Meaning, I can work after I get PR ?

I cannot have a job untill I have PR
If you're in Pakistan then either you get a work permit or Permanent residency to be able to legally work in Canada. So you will have to sit tight until you have either in your hand...

pixelfrontier

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immed said:
If you are someone looking for an LMIA for a PR application you or your employer won't have to worry about the $1000.
Is this true at all? Does anybody have a link to any official website stating this?

I was under the impression employers always have to pay $1000 to apply for a LMIA regardless if they're hiring a new foreign worker or if they want to get a LMIA for a current employee who was LMIA exempt when hired (for example, employees who come from countries that have international agreements with Canada, like the US) to help him support his PR application.

Could anybody confirm/deny this with any official link?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pixelfrontier said:
Is this true at all? Does anybody have a link to any official website stating this?

I was under the impression employers always have to pay $1000 to apply for a LMIA regardless if they're hiring a new foreign worker or if they want to get a LMIA for a current employee who was LMIA exempt when hired (for example, employees who come from countries that have international agreements with Canada, like the US) to help him support his PR application.

Could anybody confirm/deny this with any official link?
1. Google is your friend http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/permanent/index.shtml

winnipeg141

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
Hi,

I am on post grad work permit and working for past 8 months. My questions are:

1) Do my employer has to pay 1000 dollar fee for LMIA even I have work permit already

2) Do my employer has to advertise job for 4 weeks. If so, it doesn't make sense at all. Why we need to post a job for 4 weeks knowing the fact that I'm working for company already.

Your responses would be appreciated.

Thanks

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These questions have been answered many many times on many different threads.

1) that depends on how long your visa is valid for. If it's going to expire soon then you'll need them to pay the $1000 to try and get another permit, if you have plenty of time left on it then go for the free one.

2) yes and it's 4 weeks advertisement before they can submit the LMIA application. The adverts have to stay up the entire length of the application process.
Because the point of an lmia is that they need to hire a foreigner as they can't get a canadian. They need to prove they can't get a canadian. The adverts are part of that.

LMIAS not necessary for EE. You'll qualify for CEC once you get 12 months in your skilled job.

msHH

Jun 28, 2017
Hi guys,please help

I'm currently working under my post-grad work permit (which is going to expire soon) for almost a year under the NOC B. My employer agreed to support me with an LMIA and we did post for 4 weeks on job bank and other resources. My plan is to submit paper-based LMIA application before my work permit expires and apply for a work permit extension right after I receive an LMIA conf.#. But I don't want to lose my job and looking into other options.I'm talking to lawyers, but they only want money and no guarantees my case will win. Other option that I have is to apply for a significant benefit work permit which most likely be rejected, but at least I can keep working.

1.Did any of you (who received postive LMIA) applied by yourself, without a lawyer?
2. For how long can you legally work in Canada if you've applied for the work permit extension before you get a positive LMIA? (2 months strict or during the whole LMIA application review)

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
Hi guys,please help

I'm currently working under my post-grad work permit (which is going to expire soon) for almost a year under the NOC B. My employer agreed to support me with an LMIA and we did post for 4 weeks on job bank and other resources. My plan is to submit paper-based LMIA application before my work permit expires and apply for a work permit extension right after I receive an LMIA conf.#. But I don't want to lose my job and looking into other options.I'm talking to lawyers, but they only want money and no guarantees my case will win. Other option that I have is to apply for a significant benefit work permit which most likely be rejected, but at least I can keep working.

1.Did any of you (who received postive LMIA) applied by yourself, without a lawyer?
2. For how long can you legally work in Canada if you've applied for the work permit extension before you get a positive LMIA? (2 months strict or during the whole LMIA application review)
You can apply without work permit, you will have 90 days (I am not sure, I did it in 2015) to proof a positive LMIA to IRCC. I attached the filled LMIA, job offer and everything which proofed that the employer really applied for LMIA. When I got the LMIA I sent that to the IRCC by mail. Everything went well.

msHH

Jun 28, 2017
Thank you Sandra02.

I have another question. In your LMIA you need to track all applicants and make sure they do not qualify for the job. We have about 300 applications and some of them qualify. Do I need to identify their name and list them all or I can skip somebody? As after my call to Employment Canada they assured that they do not need names of the applicants, just write down Applicant #1,2,3 etc. Can they request resumes of the people applied or passwords to the job postings?Thank you

Toma1993

Star Member
May 11, 2017
You can apply without work permit, you will have 90 days (I am not sure, I did it in 2015) to proof a positive LMIA to IRCC. I attached the filled LMIA, job offer and everything which proofed that the employer really applied for LMIA. When I got the LMIA I sent that to the IRCC by mail. Everything went well.
Hi, I am willing to apply for lmia too. I am on PGWP now. How do I know if my stream is high or low wages? Please help.
I am in pool now and my NOC 4214 and under B
My wage is $16/hour and working in ontario

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
You do not have to provide names. Not at all. If you got 300 application, you should find something which is special in you, to proof you will be the best. Service Canada may call your (almost sure) and ask why the company did choose you not canadian. You do not have to mention applicants who do not have work permit, or applying from foreign country to get in Express Entry...probably 1/3 of them are like that.
Thank you Sandra02.

I have another question. In your LMIA you need to track all applicants and make sure they do not qualify for the job. We have about 300 applications and some of them qualify. Do I need to identify their name and list them all or I can skip somebody? As after my call to Employment Canada they assured that they do not need names of the applicants, just write down Applicant #1,2,3 etc. Can they request resumes of the people applied or passwords to the job postings?Thank you