+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living permanently

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

This might be a silly question but I'm looking more like clarification for my question. When in Canada immigration programs applicant must show his/her intent to live permanently in Canada or in some province of Canada, does this mean that during my time of living in Canada I have only to live in that specific province?

So for example if I have been granted with PR to live in Alberta and I decide to live there for example three years, then decide to move to Ontario, is that against the rules? If so, what would be the penalty for it?

Would it be okay if I just want to live in Canada with PR for few years but if I see that the conditions of living are "not good" I would go back to my home country?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Softdev00 said:
Hi,

This might be a silly question but I'm looking more like clarification for my question. When in Canada immigration programs applicant must show his/her intent to live permanently in Canada or in some province of Canada, does this mean that during my time of living in Canada I have only to live in that specific province?

So for example if I have been granted with PR to live in Alberta and I decide to live there for example three years, then decide to move to Ontario, is that against the rules? If so, what would be the penalty for it?

Would it be okay if I just want to live in Canada with PR for few years but if I see that the conditions of living are "not good" I would go back to my home country?
You can go wherever you wish in Canada after you become a Permanent Resident. If you leave the country for an extended period, you may no longer be able to comply with the residency obligation requirements, placing your PR status at risk.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
You can go wherever you wish in Canada after you become a Permanent Resident. If you leave the country for an extended period, you may no longer be able to comply with the residency obligation requirements, placing your PR status at risk.
Hi Zardoz,

Thank you for clarification. When you say extended period, how long period you are speaking about? When I would place my PR status at risk, does it mean that if I lose it I can never apply it again? I know it sounds silly.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Softdev00 said:
Hi Zardoz,

Thank you for clarification. When you say extended period, how long period you are speaking about? When I would place my PR status at risk, does it mean that if I lose it I can never apply it again? I know it sounds silly.
Please read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA
These links will clarify things for you.

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
If you ask me, it is one good question, that deals with ambiguity of preference.

It might be easy to qualify for a nomination with PE Islands or Nova Scotia and not with popular destinations like Ontario. Many would plan to take the easy route and finally end up at their favourite province, where they originally intend to live.

Will there be some integrity program managed by the provinces to see if their nominees integrated well with the community and if they find out you had left to another province, will they revoke their nomination and jeopardize your PR status. Experts should answer this.

At the same time, CiC cannot expect you live the rest of your life in the nominated province. I think three years / becoming a citizen would be ample enough to leave and manage your journey. To be safe, make sure you land in the nominated province and later move to the one you intend to go.

Softdev00 said:
Hi,