+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Living-Out" (Live-in Cargiver worker)

abbeyroad2009

Apr 14, 2010
Hi All!

I'm trying to search the forum for the answer but there's so many threads to sift thru. So I thought I'll ask it here.

I have a friend who is working as a live-in caregiver, of course under the LCP. My question is, both her and her employer mutually agreed that instead of living at her employer's residence, my friend can live out anywhere she chooses.

I think technically, they shouldn't be doing that because they are not following the regulated program, and/or abusing the program.

Am I correct?

If the 'authorities' find out, what will be the consequences to the employer AND to my friend if ever?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Go Canucks!

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
she might be able to be disqualified to get the PR..becoz her paper is under live in caregiver...

TorontoGal

Apr 13, 2010
As Eunice said they might disqualifiy her and even for the employer - they might not be allowed to sponsor someone in the future.

Inspectors have been known to come and see the room where the nanny lives.
So they should have a room all set up, pricvat room, adn the nanny should have some things in that room to make it appear as though she lives there to some degree.

I know because my cousin had someone come to her house!!

abbeyroad2009

Apr 14, 2010
Oooh! That's scary if the inspector just shows up!

If my friend gets 'disqualified' what are the possible penalty? Would she be sent back to her country? Pay a fine? Possible jail time? (LOL!)

eunice

Jan 17, 2010
LOL..jail?just being disqualified..she might can stay here until her work permit will be finished..she better go back and stay in her employer house,she has her day off sat.and sun.to live out..otherwise she will loose alot..since they havent check her yet..her employer also will get in trouble..as torontogal said too..though her employer knows the law..she must be a good model..hihi.. :-*

abbeyroad2009

Apr 14, 2010
I know, hey?! I guess the employer and her are in cahoots! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk! But why risk it?!

I called the CIC line today and all the lady said is it's illegal and the weight of the consequence will be on the employee. If later she applies for her residency, and was found out during the process of the application that she did what she did, she will be denied or disapproved.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
abbeyroad2009 said:
I know, hey?! I guess the employer and her are in cahoots! Tsk!Tsk! Tsk! But why risk it?!

I called the CIC line today and all the lady said is it's illegal and the weight of the consequence will be on the employee. If later she applies for her residency, and was found out during the process of the application that she did what she did, she will be denied or disapproved.
But who would talk about her not living in her employer's house if not the people who know her? Maybe her friends?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I also know of a live in caregiver who lived out but that's because her employer values their family's privacy. So she reported for work at 8 AM and left at 4 PM; she got paid extra when the couple went out to dinners and was brought to her own place when the couple got back. It worked for them. So hopefully it works for your friend too.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
TorontoGal said:
As Eunice said they might disqualifiy her and even for the employer - they might not be allowed to sponsor someone in the future.

Inspectors have been known to come and see the room where the nanny lives.
So they should have a room all set up, pricvat room, adn the nanny should have some things in that room to make it appear as though she lives there to some degree.

I know because my cousin had someone come to her house!!
Living in the employer's house is actually a requirement of the program but sometimes circumstances arise when this can not be done, that is probably why people (employer/LIC) keep it under wraps so it does not come out. The live in caregiver actually benefits from this arrangement because then s/he knows that her job is over when s/he leaves her employer's house. Hopefully the "live out" condition of the OP's friend does not adversely affect her application for permanent residency later.

painando

Apr 16, 2010
hi all,i have a question regarding to this LICP is it for those who new comer or to all under the LICP?

painando

Apr 16, 2010
i am a LIC employee needed some advice for my situation here in my employer im working with them for 2yrs now but since they dont pay me for all statutory holiday im even with her mom 24hrs a day and they never pay my overtime..i will be complete my 24 months this coming May 15 and my working permit will be expire at this date also if ever im going to look for a new job is it possible that it will not affect my status here in canada?i got hope when i read this forum specially i can complete my 24 months or 3900hrs within 4 yrs because im already 3yrs by next month..do i need to apply for a new LMO even im going to apply for my open permit or PR? i need your advice thank you..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
painando said:
i am a LIC employee needed some advice for my situation here in my employer im working with them for 2yrs now but since they dont pay me for all statutory holiday im even with her mom 24hrs a day and they never pay my overtime..i will be complete my 24 months this coming May 15 and my working permit will be expire at this date also if ever im going to look for a new job is it possible that it will not affect my status here in canada?i got hope when i read this forum specially i can complete my 24 months or 3900hrs within 4 yrs because im already 3yrs by next month..do i need to apply for a new LMO even im going to apply for my open permit or PR? i need your advice thank you..
If you are going to work for the same employer you don't have to get a new LMO but you may need a new contract to file for the work permit extension. You have to do this before the expiration of your current work permit. Check what is on your contract. Stat holidays are paid even if you don't work and you are paid a "premium" when you work on such a statutory holiday.