+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Windsor / WFH in Detroit.

myf

Feb 2, 2012
Hi

I am also moving to windsor this weekend and plan to commute to detriot everyday.
Pls share more experience at the border, what information is need etc.

Thanks

R

rishabshanker

I have a slightly different situation...I'm on a L1 visa in the US and am a Canadian PR. I wanna know if I can do the same thing...living in Windsor and working in Michigan (Lansing).

Thanks for all your inputs

Cheers,
Rishab

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

Quite an interesting thread.
Probably everyone is looking from the view of maintaining the Canadian PR by daily commuting

It is advisable to check with an US Legal Expert.
Being an US Citizen and daily commuting from Canada to US is vastly differenent from being a Work Visa Holder in US and commuting daily between US/Canada.
H1B requires that even if you change your Home address, you need to update USCIS. H1B is tied not only to your Employer but also to your location. If the US Employer is going to generate Payroll for you, the address should be an US address. I cannot visualize an H1B Employer allowing you to work from outside US for an extended period.
Please consult an Expert.
murthy.com may be a good site

Post your responses.. Will be definitely helpful for others...

parkarasif

Star Member
May 2, 2008
Re: Living in Windsor / WFH in Detroit.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 06:25:07 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
I started my Windsor - Detroit daily commute on H1B for almost a month now and so far I haven't have any issue (knock on wood :) ). Only thing is it is hard to estimate how long it will take at the border. Sometimes there are only few cars infront of you and can get through under 10 mins or couple times it took me almost 45 mins waiting to get my turn.

@ khayu

What kind of question u were asked at both side of border, did they swipe your PR card at Canadian side and put stamp on passport. Please share your experience at US side too.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Does anyone have any updates on this experience? Are you driving your own personal vehicles? It seems Michigan has some very strict auto insurance laws and even non-residents have to carry Michigan auto insurance if their cars will be the state for more 30 days out a year. Does anyone have any experience with this?

whatapain

May 10, 2012
khayu said:
I started my Windsor - Detroit daily commute on H1B for almost a month now and so far I haven't have any issue (knock on wood :) ). Only thing is it is hard to estimate how long it will take at the border. Sometimes there are only few cars infront of you and can get through under 10 mins or couple times it took me almost 45 mins waiting to get my turn.
Hi Khayu - How is your commute going. Are you using NEXUS card. As you are the one who is commuting daily you are the best source for us. Can you let us know what kind of questions and problems we can have crossing both borders. Thanks.

agrisiva

Nov 8, 2008
just an FYI, i have been living in Calgary since 2010 as a permanent resident and continuing to work (telecommuting) for a state university using an H1B visa. Every year in summer my wife (with H4 visa) and I drive down to the state just to meet my boss, coworkers and other friends. So far, never had any problems.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
What is Nexus Card ?

shahadit

Nov 7, 2011
I recently found out that I could live in Canada (Windsor) and travel to the US daily to work. However, I will have the issue of WFH in the US. Does anyone have a similar setup?

If no, for workers who have their employers in Detroit, has the CBP requested for employer details like address, etc?

~A

EB3GCMess

Mar 5, 2012
Hello All,

I recently got the option to work from home from my manager. I work for a firm based out of Texas. I am on H1B visa in the US and have PR from Canada. Is anyone else doing windsor/detroit in a similar situation?

My EB3I PD is in Sep 2007 and it might take several years before I get the GC. Do not want to lose my Canada PR status.