+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Quebec(montreal)

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi Folks,

I will be landing in Montreal next year, I wanted to have you opinion and hints how is life in Montreal some tips..you can elaborate on housing, the environment, job search.

I am a bit concerned regarding the winters, as i come from a tropical country, can you please some advises on how to make it and what to prepare...

thx

nickster13

Sep 29, 2013
Hi There!
I am a native montrealer, but my first language is english, so I will give you my perspective, given I have lived almost all my 25 years here.

The housing market is cheaper compared to other big cities, especially if you are outside of the main part of downtown. So that shouldnt be an issue for you at all. It is certainly a buyers market right now too. You can rent by month, or get a house not too far from downtown. Traffic is not a huge issue if you live outside downtown, and is restricted to the few hours in the morning and evening.

The quality of life is good. You can have whatever you want and live a good life absolutely. There are many strong immigrant communities and a high level of diversity, so its easy to find a good network and things from back home if you want.
This being said though, you should know some french. I also am a native english speaker, but there will be situations where you run into a unilingual francophone, or someone who simply does not want to speak english to you. Also, signage is basically all in french, so I reccomend you know some french. But if you live in the western part of the island, you can be served in english most of the time easily, so it depends on your comfort of french. From this, I would say choose where you live based on how much french you know. But, you WILL need to know at least rudimentary french, and how to read basic french, etc to live to the fullest..

Jobs are usually found downtown. And most professional jobs require fully bilingual, or at least a good command of french. If you do not have that much french ability, consider jobs in the west island of montreal, or find jobs with smaller companies or specialized industries like IT. But jobs can be all over the island.

Regarding the political climate, it is not that good right now, and there are some controversial bills attempting to be passed now, but it will all blow over in a few months. Safe to say, Quebecers of all colours are pretty passionate folk! Just try to fit in with your community and enjoy the life and everything will be okay.

The weather here is tough for some people. The summer is great, usually 28-30 on the peak days, but the winter is hard for some. It can get down to about -20 daily typically in January/February, so you will absolutely need to buy a solid winter jacket, hat (that covers your ears) and gloves. It also snows a lot in winter, so boots are also necessary. You can buy all this here. As you can see, the temperatures vary a lot over the course of a year, so pack for all kinds of weather, from damn cold to windy to rainy to very hot. You will absolutely survive though, Montreal is very used to its winters, so all buildings, including your home will be well heated with central heating. And the winter wear I mentioned can make you feel quite cozy despite the temperatures.

Any other questions?

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Nickster 13,

Thanks for your detailed comment. I will be possibly moving from India to Quebec next summer with wife and two sons aged 23 and 18. We have to live in Quebec as we are nominated by the province.

The elder one will be looking for software or IT jobs . My wife and I are from a business background so would like to start off
as full/part time bookkeepers. At the moment we do not know french but do plan to learn the basics once there.

Some have suggested that we settle in Gatineau as then we have the opportunity to work in Ottawa without the language issue. They say getting a job in Montreal will be difficult without french.

Can you guide us which will be better in your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

nickster13

Sep 29, 2013
Hi,
Quebec is a nice place to live, don't worry too much about that! Just don't watch the news :)

For your elder son, he shouldn't have a problem, as IT is a big industry in Montreal, and it is mostly an english field. So he shouldn't have much trouble. I'd say Montreal is a safer bet for him than Ottawa. I would advise your children though to start picking up a few words, because telling employers all over Quebec and Ontario that you know "zero french" will be a turn-off, even if the job doesn't call for it, as they might have some coworkers who are french, or the boss might be a francophone.

As for business, it might be a bit harder to get a job in Montreal, but there are always jobs that have to liaison with the rest of Canada, so it is entirely possible. But that being said, having a solid knowledge of French will mutliply your job prospects. So it is impossible to say if you could get a job easily, as you will have less options, but options nonetheless.

Of course in Gatineau, living next to Ottawa could get you jobs in Ottawa quite easily, this is true. Although, it should be noted that even in Ottawa, bilingualism is often "an assett". That being said though, housing is cheaper in Gatineau than Ottawa, so many people do exactly what you do, live in Gatineau and work in Ottawa, so it has absolutely been done!

If I were you, I would check the job boards now. Check out monster, workopolis, indeed, craigslist, etc and see what kind of language requirements you see, or what kind of options are out there. Bear in mind that for Montreal, searching the west island will be more likely to give you english jobs.
Both cities are nice though, and not that far apart, so you could always try one, then move later! The quality of life is comparable, but in Montreal you will have a much older and varied immigrant community, in a bigger city. While in Ottawa, you can have more job security.

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hello Nickster,

I think we are veering more and more toward Gatineau.... though we would take a final call only once we land.

Needed your help on how the Govt health insurance works if we are in Gatineau. I understand the Gov't insurance
kicks in only after 3 months.

Can one go to to any doctor or hospital and give the Govt Insurance No and that takes care of the Dr fees.

Can we go to a Dr or hospital in Ottawa also.

Kindly guide.

Regards :) :)

pongpong1984

Star Member
Aug 12, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2011
Doc's Request.
additional-French Diploma (March 21, 2012)
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
December 28, 2011
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
April 30, 2013 (started visa processing)
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
August 2, 2013
Interview........
waived (received CSQ on February 25, 2013)
Passport Req..
September 11, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 18, 2013
LANDED..........
April 25, 2014
Rs85 said:
Hi Folks,

I will be landing in Montreal next year, I wanted to have you opinion and hints how is life in Montreal some tips..you can elaborate on housing, the environment, job search.

I am a bit concerned regarding the winters, as i come from a tropical country, can you please some advises on how to make it and what to prepare...

thx
What is your AOT? Where are you from?

pongpong1984

Star Member
Aug 12, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2011
Doc's Request.
additional-French Diploma (March 21, 2012)
Nomination.....
none
AOR Received.
December 28, 2011
IELTS Request
none
File Transfer...
April 30, 2013 (started visa processing)
Med's Request
July 23, 2013
Med's Done....
August 2, 2013
Interview........
waived (received CSQ on February 25, 2013)
Passport Req..
September 11, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
September 18, 2013
LANDED..........
April 25, 2014
nickster13 said:
Hi,
Quebec is a nice place to live, don't worry too much about that! Just don't watch the news :)

For your elder son, he shouldn't have a problem, as IT is a big industry in Montreal, and it is mostly an english field. So he shouldn't have much trouble. I'd say Montreal is a safer bet for him than Ottawa. I would advise your children though to start picking up a few words, because telling employers all over Quebec and Ontario that you know "zero french" will be a turn-off, even if the job doesn't call for it, as they might have some coworkers who are french, or the boss might be a francophone.

As for business, it might be a bit harder to get a job in Montreal, but there are always jobs that have to liaison with the rest of Canada, so it is entirely possible. But that being said, having a solid knowledge of French will mutliply your job prospects. So it is impossible to say if you could get a job easily, as you will have less options, but options nonetheless.

Of course in Gatineau, living next to Ottawa could get you jobs in Ottawa quite easily, this is true. Although, it should be noted that even in Ottawa, bilingualism is often "an assett". That being said though, housing is cheaper in Gatineau than Ottawa, so many people do exactly what you do, live in Gatineau and work in Ottawa, so it has absolutely been done!

If I were you, I would check the job boards now. Check out monster, workopolis, indeed, craigslist, etc and see what kind of language requirements you see, or what kind of options are out there. Bear in mind that for Montreal, searching the west island will be more likely to give you english jobs.
Both cities are nice though, and not that far apart, so you could always try one, then move later! The quality of life is comparable, but in Montreal you will have a much older and varied immigrant community, in a bigger city. While in Ottawa, you can have more job security.
Thank you very much my friend.. I always find your advices very helpful. In fact I always read your posts and replies since they're very helpful for us new immigrants. I will be moving to montreal next year. I hope we can still ask questions from you

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
nickster13 said:
Hi There!
I am a native montrealer, but my first language is english, so I will give you my perspective, given I have lived almost all my 25 years here.

The housing market is cheaper compared to other big cities, especially if you are outside of the main part of downtown. So that shouldnt be an issue for you at all. It is certainly a buyers market right now too. You can rent by month, or get a house not too far from downtown. Traffic is not a huge issue if you live outside downtown, and is restricted to the few hours in the morning and evening.

The quality of life is good. You can have whatever you want and live a good life absolutely. There are many strong immigrant communities and a high level of diversity, so its easy to find a good network and things from back home if you want.
This being said though, you should know some french. I also am a native english speaker, but there will be situations where you run into a unilingual francophone, or someone who simply does not want to speak english to you. Also, signage is basically all in french, so I reccomend you know some french. But if you live in the western part of the island, you can be served in english most of the time easily, so it depends on your comfort of french. From this, I would say choose where you live based on how much french you know. But, you WILL need to know at least rudimentary french, and how to read basic french, etc to live to the fullest..

Jobs are usually found downtown. And most professional jobs require fully bilingual, or at least a good command of french. If you do not have that much french ability, consider jobs in the west island of montreal, or find jobs with smaller companies or specialized industries like IT. But jobs can be all over the island.

Regarding the political climate, it is not that good right now, and there are some controversial bills attempting to be passed now, but it will all blow over in a few months. Safe to say, Quebecers of all colours are pretty passionate folk! Just try to fit in with your community and enjoy the life and everything will be okay.

The weather here is tough for some people. The summer is great, usually 28-30 on the peak days, but the winter is hard for some. It can get down to about -20 daily typically in January/February, so you will absolutely need to buy a solid winter jacket, hat (that covers your ears) and gloves. It also snows a lot in winter, so boots are also necessary. You can buy all this here. As you can see, the temperatures vary a lot over the course of a year, so pack for all kinds of weather, from damn cold to windy to rainy to very hot. You will absolutely survive though, Montreal is very used to its winters, so all buildings, including your home will be well heated with central heating. And the winter wear I mentioned can make you feel quite cozy despite the temperatures.

Any other questions?
Thank you! That's really helpful +1