23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Ponga said:
I respectfully disagree. How can you assure the OP that his future spouse will not have any problems...even with a NEXUS lane?

Once CBSA determines that she's spending way more time in Canada, she could very well have a problem.
I agree with Ponga, especially at the Peach Arch crossing. Sooner or later, even in a NEXUS lane, she is likely to get pulled aside for a secondary if she is "living" in Canada, while working in the US. I've had personal experience with the Peach Arch crossing and they are particularly tough about this sort of thing. That secondary might go alright, or might end up resulting in her getting refused entry. CBSA isn't very fond of people re-entering Canada to continue a "visit", even if you have a job in the US. It's tough to say what will happen, since it does still depend on the individual officer. The CBSA officer may expect to see proof of a residence in the US if a secondary comes up, not just a job.

In my opinion, it's really not a good idea. It's not worth risking it, especially at the Peace Arch crossing.

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To me, it seems better to play it safe. Your wife won't have to wait that long to work anyway since she's from the US and you are doing an Outland app.

You don't want your wife to be denied entry, it just makes everything a lot harder. I was denied entry at Peace Bridge and was red-flagged in the system. I'm in Canada now, but it was not a pleasant experience and I will be getting called to secondary every time at the border until I get my PR card. If that happens, your wife will be better off not crossing anyway so you are back where you started with other issues.

Just my thoughts.

Jan 27, 2017
Category........
FAM
I agree with Ponga, especially at the Peach Arch crossing. Sooner or later, even in a NEXUS lane, she is likely to get pulled aside for a secondary if she is "living" in Canada, while working in the US. I've had personal experience with the Peach Arch crossing and they are particularly tough about this sort of thing. That secondary might go alright, or might end up resulting in her getting refused entry. CBSA isn't very fond of people re-entering Canada to continue a "visit", even if you have a job in the US. It's tough to say what will happen, since it does still depend on the individual officer. The CBSA officer may expect to see proof of a residence in the US if a secondary comes up, not just a job.

In my opinion, it's really not a good idea. It's not worth risking it, especially at the Peace Arch crossing.
What's your definition of a residence? Is CBSA going to physically go to the residence you give them?

I'm in the same situation and when I lived in the US, I lived with my parents. So I didn't have my name on any utilities, I didn't pay rent or anything. In some respects I was closer to a squatter than a tenant. How could CBSA verify that I live there besides calling up the landlord/head of household?

I've crossed a lot in the past 2 years. What I can say is that CBSA near Whatcom County does not like it or at the very least wants an explanation when you use a different POE coming into Canada then what you typically use. If you're planning on staying in Canada while you're doing an outland application and you're planning on crossing NEXUS is a must have. $50 for 5 years and it includes Global Entry and TSA Precheck. Just my personal opinion.

Can anyone shed some light on this line on the Document Checklist:

"I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class (not under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class). I understand that I may be convoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside Canada."

I'm assuming this doesn't let you come and go as you please. But it would make sense if you can maintain visitor status coming across the border this should work without issue, correct? As in being able to show access to a residence and work history.

I would also make the argument that someone that is dependent on their US based employment and can prove such employment, shouldn't have an issue crossing the border and coming back to Canada because in reality they're just pumping more money into the Canadian economy.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What's your definition of a residence? Is CBSA going to physically go to the residence you give them?

I'm in the same situation and when I lived in the US, I lived with my parents. So I didn't have my name on any utilities, I didn't pay rent or anything. In some respects I was closer to a squatter than a tenant. How could CBSA verify that I live there besides calling up the landlord/head of household?

I've crossed a lot in the past 2 years. What I can say is that CBSA near Whatcom County does not like it or at the very least wants an explanation when you use a different POE coming into Canada then what you typically use. If you're planning on staying in Canada while you're doing an outland application and you're planning on crossing NEXUS is a must have. $50 for 5 years and it includes Global Entry and TSA Precheck. Just my personal opinion.

Can anyone shed some light on this line on the Document Checklist:

"I am currently living in Canada, and I am applying under the Family Class (not under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class). I understand that I may be convoked to attend an interview at a visa office outside Canada."

I'm assuming this doesn't let you come and go as you please. But it would make sense if you can maintain visitor status coming across the border this should work without issue, correct? As in being able to show access to a residence and work history.

I would also make the argument that someone that is dependent on their US based employment and can prove such employment, shouldn't have an issue crossing the border and coming back to Canada because in reality they're just pumping more money into the Canadian economy.
Quite simply, you can't live in Canada permanently, until you're granted PR status. If you are residing in Canada, working in the US, and then returning back to Canada every single day, this will eventually cause problems regardless if you have a NEXUS pass or not. Even with NEXUS you can get pulled into secondary inspection.

It doesn't matter what any traveler's opinions are on the reasoning or logic of all this, the only opinion that matters is that of the individual CBSA officer you happen to encounter on any given entry. And we have certainly seen stories of CBSA officer that thought US citizens residing in Canada with their partner while commuting to US, are attempting to live in Canada permanently as visitors, and have denied them entry with a temporary travel ban.

CBSA officers will not care one little bit what money you are bringing to the Canadian economy. They only care about visitors acting like visitors and not moving to or living in Canada permanently until they get PR status.

Reactions: danny_scars