WAIVED
Passport Req..
Feb. 9th, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb. 20th, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb. 27th, 2015
Hey everyone!
I have a question regarding proof of employment. I'm residing in Buenos Aires right now on a tourist visa and am working under the table as an English teacher. I only work ~6 hours a week and my income is a pittance. My costs of living are covered partly by my income teaching, and partly through a small sum of money I recently inherited. Would my proof of employment (stating salary, and hours) in any way be detrimental to our application? I've been working here for 2.5 months and was living in Paraguay, living solely on income from teaching English. I know there's not much I can do, I'd just like to know if my proof of employment might hurt my chances of being approved as a sponsor.

Thanks,

Tyler

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Re: Living abroad making very little money - proof of employment

i'm not sure you want to admit to CIC you are currently working illegally in another country. i would think they don't look too kindly on that sort of information...

TylerAsu

Apr 29, 2014
Buenos Aires
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun. 19th, 2014
AOR Received.
Aug. 18th, 2014
File Transfer...
Aug. 18th, 2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 20th, 2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
Feb. 9th, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb. 20th, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb. 27th, 2015

I'm a little worried about that too.
In Paraguay and Argentina, it's completely normal to work under the table for English teachers. I called the Paraguayan Embassy in Ottawa asking about work permits before I went, and the person on the phone told me there's no such thing and to just go there and work. A teacher friend of mine tried to apply for a 6-month residency permit when he got there, which supposedly allows you to work legally, but he said getting was a nightmare and next to impossible.
In Argentina, things a little more official here and some employers would rather their employees have some sort of work permit. Because they're so hard to attain for foreigners, virtually all English institutes hire teachers on a tourist visa (with one exception).
So, I imagine it doesn't look great working illegally, but it's kind of just how things are done down here. It's the norm in the ESL world.
How should I go about this situation on my application? Do you think CIC will understand? Should I include a letter explaining things (this seems like it would be futile)? Not sure what to do. Any suggestions, input, etc. would be of great help!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014

TylerAsu said:
I'm a little worried about that too.
In Paraguay and Argentina, it's completely normal to work under the table for English teachers. I called the Paraguayan Embassy in Ottawa asking about work permits before I went, and the person on the phone told me there's no such thing and to just go there and work. A teacher friend of mine tried to apply for a 6-month residency permit when he got there, which supposedly allows you to work legally, but he said getting was a nightmare and next to impossible.
In Argentina, things a little more official here and some employers would rather their employees have some sort of work permit. Because they're so hard to attain for foreigners, virtually all English institutes hire teachers on a tourist visa (with one exception).
So, I imagine it doesn't look great working illegally, but it's kind of just how things are done down here. It's the norm in the ESL world.
How should I go about this situation on my application? Do you think CIC will understand? Should I include a letter explaining things (this seems like it would be futile)? Not sure what to do. Any suggestions, input, etc. would be of great help!
personally, i would stay clear of mentioning it AT ALL. The person who opens your file most likely won't know how "normal" it is there to do this. There are threads from other sponsor applications who don't have jobs, so i would start there. It has been suggested, if you are unemployed, that it's important to provide a letter explaining your plans to support yourselves upon arrival in canada. Also, letters from relatives who are willing to help you, and plans for finding a job upon your return. Considering you are currently on a visitor's visa, it seems pretty logical you are not working right now. Even including a copy of your visa will support that information.

Apparently CIC isn't concerned if sponsors are unemployed, they are mostly concerned about whether you have drawn on public assistance and used welfare. That is why they request the option c form... it tells them if you've been on welfare.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TylerAsu said:
Hey everyone!
I have a question regarding proof of employment. I'm residing in Buenos Aires right now on a tourist visa and am working under the table as an English teacher. I only work ~6 hours a week and my income is a pittance. My costs of living are covered partly by my income teaching, and partly through a small sum of money I recently inherited. Would my proof of employment (stating salary, and hours) in any way be detrimental to our application?
Hi

No, it wouldn't be detrimental. You aren't required to inform CIC of what your current status is in Argentina and they aren't going to verify your status with the Argentinian government or anything like that. And even if they were to somehow find out, working illegally in another country is not a crime for which CIC would deny sponsorship. I seriously doubt that the VO would even care that you are working illegally 6 hours a week in a foreign country.

Just include the proof of employment. Don't bother with an explanation letter.

CIC needs to know that you will be able to support yourselves without going on welfare. This can be through a combination of proofs, not just your income. Be sure to include proof of your inheritance, any other savings and your partner's savings. You can ask both sets of parents to write letters saying that they will help support you guys if needed until you get on your feet in Canada. If someone is offering you a free or low-rent place to stay when you return to Canada, ask them for a letter explaining that.