+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Windsor, ON CA and work in Detroit, MI USA on Canadian PR and H1B

mohitm

Apr 4, 2016
Hello All,

I am seeking your valuable advise on my current situation.

I am a Indian Citizen working with one of the Big 3 Automotive corporation in Detroit, MI on H1B Visa. I recently received my Canadian PR in Jan 2016. I wanted to explore my options of living in Windsor, On and commuting Daily to USA. I have many co-workers who commute from Windsor to Detroit on a daily basis but all of them are Canadian citizens. I am seeking advice or guidance on my situation (Indian Passport with Canadian PR + H1B).

Am I eligible to commute from Windsor to Detroit on H1B and Canadian PR on a daily basis?

How easy is it to cross border daily?

If so What documents should I carry everyday?

Where do I file my Taxes?

Will this effect my USA Green Card process which is planned to be initiated by my employer in May 2016?

Thank You in advance!

Regards
Mo

mohitm

Apr 4, 2016
I would really appreciate if someone can share their real time experience of commuting on H1B and Canadian PR from Windsor to Detroit.

Thanks!
Mo

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have seen many such cases on forums. You are good. Get a NEXUS card (you are eligible if you spent 3 years in either US or Canada), it will speed up your daily border entries.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i would recommend contacting the school board in mississauga and ask them about whether kids can start mid-year. i'm sure google will be helpful. yes, there are public catholic schools available. they may have a separate school board, so you will want to also search for mississagua catholic school board.

also, i would also recommend researching settlement agencies in Mississauga. there are agencies that offer free settlement support and information. getting connected to one upon landing or even before will help answer a lot of your questions. they offer advice and information about employment, housing and schooling.

mohitm

Apr 4, 2016
@ht7 Thank you for the info :)
I would appreciate if you could link me to cases similar in the forum.

Thanks again.

Apr 9, 2016
Hello Mohit,
I am in same situation..Having H1 visa and also have Canadian PR. Currently working in Buffalo,NY and planning to move niagara falls ON and commute to buffalo for work. I think you have already done analysis on impediments related to this topic , Can you please share your analysis and experience if you have started living in Canada and working in USA..

Please send me an email to lovlyshark@gmail.com, also mention your contact no and best available time to discuss.

Thanks
Bhanu

mohitm

Apr 4, 2016
Hi Bhanu,

I have not done much research till now. I am trying to connect with people having same routine commuting from Canada on daily basis.
I think we should be in touch and let each other know in case we figure out something substantial.

Mohit

RocketCity

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
BIQ Montreal
NOC Code......
U062
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Nomination.....
26-02-2014
AOR Received.
09-05-2014
Med's Request
09-05-2014
Med's Done....
19-05-2014
Interview........
26-02-2014
Passport Req..
RPRF Request 02-03-2015, PPR Request 10-03-2015
I'll receive my green card in two to three months, so I've actually looked into this issue. I also currently have a Canadian PR. In my case, I'd have to switch my green card to commuter status once I receive it if I wanted to do what you're doing. I would like to maintain both PRs, but it's probably not feasible since I recently married a US PR, and I'd have to sponsor my wife for Canadian PR which will be an additional cost. Plus, I don't particularly want to work in Detroit or Buffalo.

mohitm said:
Hello All,

I am seeking your valuable advise on my current situation.

I am a Indian Citizen working with one of the Big 3 Automotive corporation in Detroit, MI on H1B Visa. I recently received my Canadian PR in Jan 2016. I wanted to explore my options of living in Windsor, On and commuting Daily to USA. I have many co-workers who commute from Windsor to Detroit on a daily basis but all of them are Canadian citizens. I am seeking advice or guidance on my situation (Indian Passport with Canadian PR + H1B).

Am I eligible to commute from Windsor to Detroit on H1B and Canadian PR on a daily basis?
YES

How easy is it to cross border daily?
Shouldn't be an issue if you have proper documentation. However at $4.25 * 2 per day for 5 days per week 52 weeks per year, it'll cost you $2,210 per year.

If so What documents should I carry everyday?
I'd think passport, H1B visa would suffice going into the US side and Canadian PR going into the Canadian side.

Where do I file my Taxes?
This could be complicated. Don't have an answer here.

Will this effect my USA Green Card process which is planned to be initiated by my employer in May 2016?
No. Green Card is for a future position. However, once you get the green card, you will need to change to a "commuter green card" if you want to maintain your Windsor-Detroit arrangement.

Thank You in advance!

Regards
Mo

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RocketCity said:
I'll receive my green card in two to three months, so I've actually looked into this issue. I also currently have a Canadian PR. In my case, I'd have to switch my green card to commuter status once I receive it if I wanted to do what you're doing. I would like to maintain both PRs, but it's probably not feasible since I recently married a US PR, and I'd have to sponsor my wife for Canadian PR which will be an additional cost. Plus, I don't particularly want to work in Detroit or Buffalo.
He is an Indian national whose Green Card process will be starting in 2016. He will not get his US GC before 2028. It is safe to say that he will be a Canadian citizen by then and wont need to maintain the Canadian PR.

Reactions: athresh
Apr 9, 2016
mohitm said:
Hi Bhanu,

I have not done much research till now. I am trying to connect with people having same routine commuting from Canada on daily basis.
I think we should be in touch and let each other know in case we figure out something substantial.

Mohit
Hi Mohit,
Sure,Please send me a mail with your contact no. will be in touch to share more information on this topic.
My Email : bhanu0100@gmail.com

knagaraj

May 19, 2016
Hello All:

Glad to have found this recent posting on this topic. I am an Indian citizen, on H1B (expiring in June 2017), working in MI, USA and considering living in Windsor, Canada and commuting to USA daily. I am a newbie to the forum and have a few questions (sorry if any of them are silly):

1) I notice a couple of people mention they have "received Canadian PR" but are considering moving to Canada. Can you please explain how you get the Canadian PR when you are not yet in Canada? - another way of asking this question would be: When you apply for Can. PR, do you get any initial documentation that approves your application and then you get your PR card later?

2) Do i have the option to collect the PR card by visiting the Immigration office in person in Canada? (just to see if I have the option to become a PR and yet not move to Canada for atleast next few months)

3) Have any, Indian citizens among you, had your company "renew" your H1B (after it expired) when you were on Can. PR status? Were there any complications involved in the renewal of H1B? How did you deal with stamping of visa on your Indian passport?

4) Can I enroll my toddler (US citizen) in schools in Michigan even if we live in Canada?

5) Is getting the NEXUS card the best way to track my presence in Canada? Can I apply for one before I start living in Canada? What are the other options?

Thank you very much.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
johnr said:
Smart thinking ahead friend. You can get your canadian citizenship while your working in Detroit and waiting for you priority date.
I don't think partial days count as citizenship residence. They only count as PR residence.

knagaraj

May 19, 2016
Just checking if anyone might have feedback to my questions.. thanks

knagaraj said:
Hello All:

Glad to have found this recent posting on this topic. I am an Indian citizen, on H1B (expiring in June 2017), working in MI, USA and considering living in Windsor, Canada and commuting to USA daily. I am a newbie to the forum and have a few questions (sorry if any of them are silly):

1) I notice a couple of people mention they have "received Canadian PR" but are considering moving to Canada. Can you please explain how you get the Canadian PR when you are not yet in Canada? - another way of asking this question would be: When you apply for Can. PR, do you get any initial documentation that approves your application and then you get your PR card later?

2) Do i have the option to collect the PR card by visiting the Immigration office in person in Canada? (just to see if I have the option to become a PR and yet not move to Canada for atleast next few months)

3) Have any, Indian citizens among you, had your company "renew" your H1B (after it expired) when you were on Can. PR status? Were there any complications involved in the renewal of H1B? How did you deal with stamping of visa on your Indian passport?

4) Can I enroll my toddler (US citizen) in schools in Michigan even if we live in Canada?

5) Is getting the NEXUS card the best way to track my presence in Canada? Can I apply for one before I start living in Canada? What are the other options?

Thank you very much.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knagaraj said:
Just checking if anyone might have feedback to my questions.. thanks
1. This whole forum is about that. Make a little effort and you can find out how people do this.
2. Again, read through the procedures in the forum.
3. Many have, I plan to next week, Canada PR has no effect on H1B.
4. Yes, if he/she has a legal status in US and Canada.
5. First get a Canada PR, without a PR from either US or Canada, you cannot get NEXUS card.