+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-in Caregivers PR/OWP applicants for 2012 timeline.

aizanah

Feb 7, 2014
question ung contract with employer original copy isesend or it can be photocopy? :-X i seriously meed help kc wala ako ma ask ng question or guide here

miska28

Jan 9, 2013
eilahs23 said:
Yes i am :)
[/quote which city are you in? What kind of questions did they ask you? I received the letter with the date of my interview today:) congrats to your PR.

Siraprapha

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
amangat said:
hi I am june 2012 applicant. I have got my application completion letter on 7th jan waiting for interview letter but dint get yet .they are asking 490 $ receipt and passport copy
Hi Amangat, I mailed my receipt and copy of passport last week. Have you got an interview letter yet? I'm from Jan 7th.

Siraprapha

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
eilahs23 said:
Hi Eilah, I m May 2012 applicant. I got email confirmation on Jan 7th but am still waiting for an interview. What city are you from? When did you get your interview letter? You got PR fast. I'm from Vancouver. I should have received interview letter by now don't know why?

Siraprapha

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
neng23 said:
Hello Siraprapha... I'm waiting for an interview letter from CIC Vancouver...I got second email last December 9,2013 until now I haven't received interview letter from CIC Vancouver...I don't know if they have plans to give our PR the soonest.
Hi Neng23, Any luck on interview letter? I still don't get it :(

miska28

Jan 9, 2013
Hello guys, I received the letter with the date for my interview. Any idea, what kind of questions will they ask? Thank you! Wish you all good luck.

riaivy1980

Jun 2, 2010
aizanah said:
question ung contract with employer original copy isesend or it can be photocopy? :-X i seriously meed help kc wala ako ma ask ng question or guide here
you are sending for what? I think they will always put on the guide if they need original or photocopy.

amangat

Dec 2, 2013
Siraprapha said:
Hi Amangat, I mailed my receipt and copy of passport last week. Have you got an interview letter yet? I'm from Jan 7th.
hi there I am still waiting for the letter , I hope may be in two weeks .

may25

Mar 28, 2013
eilahs23

Congrats, its look like the process now are too past for the single applicants. I am a May 2013 applicant, its mean i might got my interview this December 2014? coz yours are only 18 months process. Thanks and God Bless eilahs23.
:)

neng23

Star Member
Oct 24, 2011
Vancouver,B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 21, 2015
Doc's Request.
August 6, 2015 (Passport, Appendix A)
AOR Received.
June 26, 2015
File Transfer...
July 20, 2015 (SA email)
Med's Request
(Upfront)
Med's Done....
May 4,2015
Passport Req..
August 6, 2015 e-cas updated to "In Process" but started processing on July 20, 2015 August 8, 2015 Passport received by CEM August 10
VISA ISSUED...
very soon
LANDED..........
very soon
Siraprapha said:
Hi Neng23, Any luck on interview letter? I still don't get it :(
Nope I haven't revive an interview letter from CIC Vancouver ,it's already 2months n half now since I received the second email from CIC vegreville ... May Godbless us....

cats_lover

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OWP/ PR 02-04-12
Siraprapha said:
Hi Eilah, I m May 2012 applicant. I got email confirmation on Jan 7th but am still waiting for an interview. What city are you from? When did you get your interview letter? You got PR fast. I'm from Vancouver. I should have received interview letter by now don't know why?
Where are you from Siraprapha?

eilahs23

Star Member
Apr 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Siraprapha said:
Jan 15 2014
And got PR feb 10.
From edmonton

relaxgurl

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 05,2013
AOR Received.
Jun. 2013 (A.i.p Rec.) May21 2014
Caregivers cautiously await minister’s vow coming to fruition

Comments

Written by Evan Boudreau, The Catholic Register
Saturday, 16 November 2013 17:32

Gina Magcalas (right) helps fellow Live-in Caregiver Program participants fill out some paperwork while visiting the Live-in Caregivers’ Ministry at Our Lady of Assumption parish. Gina Magcalas (right) helps fellow Live-in Caregiver Program participants fill out some paperwork while visiting the Live-in Caregivers’ Ministry at Our Lady of Assumption parish. - Photo by Evan Boudreau

TORONTO - While pleased the federal government has committed to clearing up the backlog of permanent residency applications through its Live-in Caregiver Program, Faye Arellano is waiting to see the results before she begins to jump with joy.

“It is very hopeful but until we see the results of that I would maybe hold my horses,” said Arellano, co-ordinator of the Live-in Caregivers’ Ministry at Toronto’s Our Lady of Assumption parish. “There are people who stand to benefit from this and they are the marginalized in our society. I hope it wouldn’t raise a lot of false hopes.”

On Oct. 29 the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration announced that the government will address the backlog in the Live-in Caregiver Program’s permanent residency application process and implement changes to speed up the process. The government pledged to admit an all-time high 17,500 permanent residents through the program in 2014.

“Wait times in the Live-in Caregiver Program have grown to levels that are unacceptable,” acknowledged Chris Alexander, the Minister of Immigration and Citizenship, in a press release containing the announcement. “Live-in caregivers participating in the program came here with the promise of permanent residency after meeting work obligations. We need to honour our commitment to them.”

As of the end of July there was a backlog of about 30,000 applications for permanent resident status through the caregiver program according to Alexander. These workers wait on average 38 months to receive permanent residency.

To reached that point these workers would have completed 3,900 hours of work over a minimum of 22 months and a maximum of four years before submitting an application for an open work permit and permanent residency. These hours must be completed while functioning as a live-in caregiver, meaning the workers must reside under the same roof as their employer.

“Coming here as a caregiver has a lot of cons with it,” said Arellano. “I have yet to hear from a caregiver who hasn’t really been exploited or somehow had that kind of very imbalance of power in the household. It is almost like they come as workers but at the same time as a second-class citizen, which is really hard.”

Arellano continued by pointing out that many in the program previously worked as nurses, teachers and even accountants in their country of origin.
Even with the work permit, which removes the condition of living with their employer among other things, the caregivers still lack access to many rights and benefits enjoyed by Canadians.

“They need (permanent residency) in Canada to be treated equally like everybody else because they won’t have the benefits and the services until such time,” she said. “You can hear their frustration and it is amazing that they won’t somehow blame the government for it.”

One of the women who benefits from the caregivers’ ministry said her frustration stems from the long wait she has experienced since applying for her permanent residency.

“I got my open work permit two years ago and I am still hoping for my permanent residency to come but ... the government, they are making it difficult to wait so long,” said Gina Magcalas, who’s been in the open work permit limbo since December 2011. “We are happy to get our open work permit because that means that we can work for any employer we want but, the thing is, waiting for the permanent residency is a bit stressful. We just have to wait.”

Beyond access to things like government health care and the Canada Pension Plan, Magcalas is really waiting to be reunited with her son, Ralph Jacob, who has never lived with his mother. Once a permanent resident the first thing Magcalas said she will do, after thanking God, will be to start the process to sponsor her son’s Canadian citizenship.

But like Arellano, Magcalas is remaining cautiously optimistic.

“We know that there is only a quota and what if our names are not in that quota,” she said. “We don’t know how many years again we’d have to wait. For those who do not get it it is really upsetting for everybody.”

Marife Gamino expresses a similar feeling, saying the announcement “is exciting but still stressful.”

What frustrates Arellano more than the wait is that the government allowed a backlog to happen in the first place.

“The usual reply from Immigration is that there was a peak time when there were so many of them who were allowed into Canada and as they graduate from that two-year period it just kept piling up,” she said.

“I guess they had no extra manpower to look after them so that created that huge backlog. If you know that you are already having that kind of backlog why would you allow X number of people to pile up again?”

Readers Speak Out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Write to The Editor:

Catholic Register, 1155 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario M4T 1W2
FAX: (416) 934-3409
E-mail: editor@catholicregister.org

Letters should be brief and must include full name, address and phone number (street and phone number will not be published). Letters may be edited for length.

Also, speak to us digitally via Facebook (facebook.com/TheCatholicRegister) or Twitter (twitter.com/CatholicRegistr

starfield

Feb 14, 2014
Hello, there.

I just wanted to share my case.
CIC received my application on Dec 3, 2012
I got first email from CPCV(Case Processing Centre Vegreville) on Feb 13, 2014
saying: It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident
status as a Member of the Live-in Caregiver Class.