+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-in Caregiver - wants to change status?

JessicaBiel

Nov 17, 2010
Hi,

I am currently working under the Live-in caregiver program and will submit my permanent residency application next month. I chose the new option 2 and my questions are;

1. I arrived in Toronto ON last Sept 6, 2008 and had my official work permit-Live in caregiver program in January of 2009 until present which would total to 23 months. How do you compute for the number of hours per month? My contract stipulates that my working hours per week is 40 hours.

2. If I submit my application for permanent residency next month and plans to leave my current employer by February, can I change my live in caregiver visa to student visa? I also applied for a student visa this year so I was planning to renew it next month too as a full time student. Then later apply for off-campus working visa.

3. Will there be any problem on my permanent residency application?

Hope you could give me some advise this week.

Thanks,
Jess

Argy

Apr 4, 2010
Hi Jess,

Just about your first question.... I applied for PR last May under option 2. My application is still in process. To computed my hours I just asked my employer to put the numbers of hours in every slip, then I just add them..... I hope that was right.

Hopefully this information it will be use for you.

Take Care! :)

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 18. 2012 bcos I withdrew
Med's Done....
20-03-2012 2nd med April 29th 2013
Interview........
1st visa issuance Dec 19,2012
Passport Req..
2nd visa issuance June 5,2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
JessicaBiel said:
Hi,

I am currently working under the Live-in caregiver program and will submit my permanent residency application next month. I chose the new option 2 and my questions are;

1. I arrived in Toronto ON last Sept 6, 2008 and had my official work permit-Live in caregiver program in January of 2009 until present which would total to 23 months. How do you compute for the number of hours per month? My contract stipulates that my working hours per week is 40 hours.

2. If I submit my application for permanent residency next month and plans to leave my current employer by February, can I change my live in caregiver visa to student visa? I also applied for a student visa this year so I was planning to renew it next month too as a full time student. Then later apply for off-campus working visa.

3. Will there be any problem on my permanent residency application?

Hope you could give me some advise this week.

Thanks,
Jess

Hi Jess . I'm sorry to tell you that the imigration wont see you as a person under the LCP anymore since,you av applied for study permit,you will be seen as student nt a live in caregiver. You sure gonna have problems with your PR application.You should wait to get the AIP first before applying for study permit.You might be lucky if you get good lawyer to handle your case ,if not......I wanted to applied for study permit too but i was lucky to see some people who adviced me not to.

JessicaBiel

Nov 17, 2010
Hi Monalizy,

I don't think that CIC will just see my status as a student. LCP has the privilege to study as long as it doesn't affect your work. And the student visa that they approved was linked to my working visa as LCP as I mentioned it on my application.

What I'm asking here is that I will submit my application next month (December) for permanent residency and would like to change my status to a full time student by January because I'm planning to resign with my current employer the soonest. Will CIC approved my application as a full time student and will this affect my PR application?

Thanks.

Jess

ennaesor

Star Member
Aug 31, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, i think it will affect your PR application because As far as i know, we still need to continue working as a live in caregiver until we get our Open work permit. If your studying part time and working as LIC that won't be a problem but If you stop working as LIC, im afraid it might have a bad effect on your PR application.

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 18. 2012 bcos I withdrew
Med's Done....
20-03-2012 2nd med April 29th 2013
Interview........
1st visa issuance Dec 19,2012
Passport Req..
2nd visa issuance June 5,2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
JessicaBiel said:
Hi Monalizy,

I don't think that CIC will just see my status as a student. LCP has the privilege to study as long as it doesn't affect your work. And the student visa that they approved was linked to my working visa as LCP as I mentioned it on my application.

What I'm asking here is that I will submit my application next month (December) for permanent residency and would like to change my status to a full time student by January because I'm planning to resign with my current employer the soonest. Will CIC approved my application as a full time student and will this affect my PR application?

Thanks.
Live in caregivers have the privilege to study for 6 month in which you dont need a study permit and you must not do a degree programs. If you apply for a study permit that means you have change your main reason to come to Canada.As far as i'm concern your PR application is doomed,you shouldnt have applied for a study permit, you must remain a caregiver until you receive AIP.If you must study ,You can without You applying for study permit. I wanted to go to school badly too ,just to take adult class so i could have Ontario High school diploman but i cant cos i was asked for a study permit and guess what ? An immigration lawyer told me nt to apply for a study permit cos it will affect my PR application.

MJAMEM

Apr 10, 2014
hi there! I want to study too. any suggestion re school, course that doesn't need study permit for LCP Thank you!

mylady833

Sep 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25, 2013
Doc's Request.
Aip May 15, 2014, DM July 12,2014
Interview........
07-08-2014
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
8.8 Issuance of study permits
Per R188, live-in caregivers may study without a study permit if the course or program of studies is six months or less.
Live-in caregivers who wish to take a course or program of studies more than six months in duration require a study permit.
Per R215, CPC-V may issue study permits to live-in caregivers because they hold work permits. Officers should enter the “LCP” code in the special program box of any study permits issued to live-in caregivers.

mylady833

Sep 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25, 2013
Doc's Request.
Aip May 15, 2014, DM July 12,2014
Interview........
07-08-2014
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
I had also planned to study and had applied at the University, problem is i need to apply a study permit and will lose my work permit. I am currently an open permit holder now and could have applied a study permit but another problem too is because i am not a permanent resident yet i am classified as international student which pays a lot more than a PR or a Citizen so i will just have to wait for my PR to pursue my chosen degree.

northyork_beaver

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LCP is one of the best program in Canada and pathway to be come PR. Wait until you granted PR before you study otherwise your PR application is on jeopardy....