+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live-In Caregiver - extend contract?

van881

Dec 19, 2014
Hi everyone,

Our live-in caregiver arrived in April 2015. She arrived under old live-in caregiver rules because the application was approved back in 2014. She is now approaching 2 years with us. She would like to apply for PR, but I believe she needs to get an extension to her work permit first.

Can anyone tell me which forms and documents she needs to submit? She's telling us that she needs us to give her a new contract, but I'm not sure that's true.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
V

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=237&top=3

As it's said in the link above, if a live-in caregiver wants to continue working for the same employer, she/he will need:
- a letter from your employer stating that you will keep working for him or her full time for an additional period;
- a copy of a new, or extended, signed employment contract; and
- if she/he works in the province of Quebec, a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion.

Once the live-in caregiver has the necessary documents, you can apply to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta, to extend your work permit.

Use the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to extend the work permit. Below is the link in CIC website.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

When I extended my work permit as a live-in caregiver 4 years ago, I included a letter from my employer stating that I would still continue working for her and a copy of an updated employment contract in my application as well as other documents required in the document checklist.

I hope this helps.

van881

Dec 19, 2014
Thanks dna!

What kind of contract do we need to give her? Does it have to be a specific live-in caregiver contract? Or can it just be a regular employment contract?

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
I did submit the Live-in caregiver Employer/Employee Contract which was updated (used the current date then) along with my work permit extension application.