+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter from employer- sponsorship application

Audrey Rogoka

Sep 20, 2020
Hi there,

As one of supporting documents for sponsor one need to file a letter from current employer.

Here's the question:
How long that kind of letter is valid?
I have one but I might be filing my application next month. Would I need a new one then?

Another question:
Does sponsor necessary need to work during whole application processing time or there are different ways to proof we can support each other?

Thanks!

jaysal

Apr 9, 2018
I think your employment letter from employer and at least 6 months of salary stubs should show that you are still employed with the same employer.

P.S. Not a legal advice. Just my opinion.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

As one of supporting documents for sponsor one need to file a letter from current employer.

Here's the question:
How long that kind of letter is valid?
I have one but I might be filing my application next month. Would I need a new one then?

Another question:
Does sponsor necessary need to work during whole application processing time or there are different ways to proof we can support each other?

Thanks!
you do not HAVE to work. If you have other source of income or enough savings for both of you for a while and/or having support from family to provide you for accomodation and food, those are all possible proof. And I am assuming that you are sponsoring your spouse. PGP is very different.

Audrey Rogoka

Sep 20, 2020
you do not HAVE to work. If you have other source of income or enough savings for both of you for a while and/or having support from family to provide you for accomodation and food, those are all possible proof. And I am assuming that you are sponsoring your spouse. PGP is very different.
My husband is sponsoring me.

How else we can proof we can support ourselves? Can I submit print out with bank acount balance?
Or if he would change his job during application processing time, do I have to update IRCC about that?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My husband is sponsoring me.

How else we can proof we can support ourselves? Can I submit print out with bank acount balance?
Or if he would change his job during application processing time, do I have to update IRCC about that?
that's what I mean enough savings... I think bank balance (likely for a range of time to show it's really yours). If he change his job, he can update the related application form and submit it. Have you already applied?

Audrey Rogoka

Sep 20, 2020
that's what I mean enough savings... I think bank balance (likely for a range of time to show it's really yours). If he change his job, he can update the related application form and submit it. Have you already applied?
I didn't, I'm still collecting documents.

He can update his job informations but does he have to? I mean, would someone be checking if he's working or not in few months from now? And how does it effect our application if he doesn't?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I didn't, I'm still collecting documents.

He can update his job informations but does he have to? I mean, would someone be checking if he's working or not in few months from now? And how does it effect our application if he doesn't?
IRCC can always ask for update during the process. Sponsor should update if situation changes (e.g. change of address or additional family, work..etc) but it's not as straight. It's a good practice.
The truth is that you will not get government help, so you should make sure that you have enough to get by the time when only sponsor can work during this time.

Audrey Rogoka

Sep 20, 2020
Thank you for your answers :)

I'm confused about one more thing and instruction guide did not give me any answer for it.

I'm filing both sponsorhip and OWP application. In document checklist for OWP I don't know which box to tick and what supporting documents to attach. I'm not a studet, nor provincial nominee and my spouse is permanet resident, not OWP holder or skilled worker or studen.

(I would love to add a screenshot but I don't know how....)