Letter from a counselor as support for tourist visa

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of sponsoring my wife to join me permanently in Canada. She's from a country which she needs a tourist visa to visit. I was wondering if a letter from a registered counselor would be a helpful piece of evidence for our tourist visa application? Basically something that states that both of our emotional well-being will be better if she is able to visit, and I don't need to take more time off work.

I have always visited her in the past, but I'm a little tied down with work at the moment and thus her visiting me in Canada would be kind of nice!

Anyone done this before?

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I mean a letter of support stating that I will be happier to have my wife with me in Canada for the summer.

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, my lawyer stated that with Family Class sponsorship, CIC cares more about me (the Canadian) than her (the non-Canadian), thus her being allowed to be with her Canadian spouse for a time would be a beneficial thing, as it will be helpful for him (and her is a plus).

She has plenty of ties to her home country, this part is just aiming to support her coming to visit to benefit me.

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
omgurnidiot said:
a visitor visa is not the same a pr application. they are separate applications and really have nothing to do with eachother.

while it may be helpful for your PR application, for a visitor's visa, the only things they seem to care about are her travel history and ties to her home country.
I agree, a letter stating how much happier yall will be if she comes to visit is almost a NEGATIVE to the border...Oh they are going to be so happy together, so happy she wont leave!

What is her ties to the country. Job. House. Vehicles. ETC. Proof of those is way more important.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
BenA105 said:
Well, my lawyer stated that with Family Class sponsorship, CIC cares more about me (the Canadian) than her (the non-Canadian), thus her being allowed to be with her Canadian spouse for a time would be a beneficial thing, as it will be helpful for him (and her is a plus).

She has plenty of ties to her home country, this part is just aiming to support her coming to visit to benefit me.
Your wife would have a hard time getting a TRV on account that there is now a stronger tie to Canada than to her own country all over the fact that she is married to you. CIC would need to be well convinced that your wife will leave Canada, leaving you behind to her country.

If you send a letter that your wife's well being would be better if she is with you will only convince CIC that she will NOT leave Canada once she is with you.

There is no harm in trying for a TRV visa for your wife but be prepared that majority of the time, spouses are denied TRV, more so, when there is a PR application in process. A PR application in process means plans to permanently stay in Canada. This would not be in the wife's favour since applying for a TRV means she will stay temporary while PR application in process means she will not.

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fair enough, seems like a bad idea then!

She has work with a reference that it is ongoing, an existing long-term housing contract, we have plenty of travel history together (and she's from a lesser developed country and we've gone to Schengen zone Europe twice and she's not overstayed), and flight bookings to meet again in Europe at Christmas.

Good things to go on you think? :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
BenA105 said:

She has work with a reference that it is ongoing, an existing long-term housing contract, we have plenty of travel history together (and she's from a lesser developed country and we've gone to Schengen zone Europe twice and she's not overstayed), and flight bookings to meet again in Europe at Christmas.

There is no harm in trying. Travel history does help in obtaining TRV but the biggest obstacle is the fact that she is married to you. You cannot remove that strong tie to Canada no matter how much evidence you provided that she will leave you behind. Just be prepared and be realistic. Remember try to see it from CIC's point of view. She is married to a PR/Canadian living in Canada applying for TRV to visit you.

I am not saying that 100% that she will be denied. Just that the odds of getting TRV is stacked against her considerable. You need to convince CIC to get over the odds. There have been some cases whereby spouses have been able to get TRV but the numbers are so few.

Cathy645

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
AOR Received.
01-08-2014
File Transfer...
01-08-2014. (AOR2. 26-09-2014)
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
19-10-2014 (Received by VO 02-11-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-10-2014 (Decision made 07-11-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014 (received COPR 13-11-2014)
LANDED..........
15-11-2014 (landed at border in Osoyoos)
BenA105 said:

Hi Ben, it's not a sure thing that your wife will be denied for Visitor visa but you both have to give some very strong evidence that she won't overstay and she will go back to her job,home,family in her country after visiting you. She can mention she will resign from job and sell property to join you once her PR gets approved in the future. Please remember to write an explanation letter when applying for visa.

As what you said about her travel history, I think she has more chance to get visitor visa.

I think a letter from her job is much better than a lawyer's letter.

Good luck

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
Cathy645 said:
Hi Ben, it's not a sure thing that your wife will be denied for Visitor visa but you both have to give some very strong evidence that she won't overstay and she will go back to her job,home,family in her country after visiting you. She can mention she will resign from job and sell property to join you once her PR gets approved in the future.

As what you said about her travel history, I think she has more chance to get visitor visa.

I think a letter from her job is much better than a lawyer's letter.

Good luck
I too agree, letter from her JOB is 1 million times better than a letter from a councilor. :D

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
They will be more lenient on you once you get Sponsorship Approval, have you considered waiting for that?

BenA105

Star Member
Dec 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the thoughts everyone :)

I actually gained Sponsor Approval just last week, so now this is why we're pushing forward in search of a TRV now. We aren't expecting that she will get an approval for the visitors visa, but it would be a huge bonus if she did. I have always traveled to visit her in the past (as her getting a Canadian visa at the time was a pipe dream we decided), but this time I've only recently started a new job a few weeks ago, so getting time off is a bit of a challenge for me in my first three months with the new company.

That reminds me though - I was going to speak to my employer and see if they could provide a letter stating that I am newly employed at the company, thus time off is not readily available during my probation period, thus it would be better if she could visit. A good plan maybe?

Also, she has actually visited Canada. It was 11 years ago when she was a teenager, but she has still been and left and not overstayed her visa here. I have a copy of the visa too - more good supporting documentation to attach?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, show evidence of the previous visa.

deedee33

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Romania
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/QB/Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2014
AOR Received.
5 Mar 2015
File Transfer...
11 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
17 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
31 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
TRV 26 May 2015, PR 14 AUG 2015
LANDED..........
15 AUG 2015 (flag pole landing)
I hope this helps you

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visitor-visa-grantedwife-of-pr-t273759.0.html