+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

NT2015

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys, I have a question!!!

As usual, I will get a 3-year PGWP. However, I hear that the length of PGWP will not be able to extend beyond the length of your passport. My passport will expire on Feb 18, 2018! If this is true, my permit will not last full 3 year. If I get my permit this month, then my permit's length will start in Oct,2015 to mid Feb 2018 (only 2 years and 4 months)

Is that possible? :'(

drigow2

Oct 3, 2015
Hey guys, so I applied on May 1st and paid the $100 fee already but I still haven't heard back from CIC since I paid the fee. I had to decline a couple of job offers because I still haven't got my permit.

Applied: March 1st
Blank Update: July 15th
Request for $100: August 11th (Paid August 18th)
PGWP Approval: N/A
Mail Delivery: N/A
Total Processing Time: 155 days (As of October 3rd)

bis

Sep 3, 2015
NT2015 said:

As usual, I will get a 3-year PGWP. However, I hear that the length of PGWP will not be able to extend beyond the length of your passport. My passport will expire on Feb 18, 2018! If this is true, my permit will not last full 3 year. If I get my permit this month, then my permit's length will start in Oct,2015 to mid Feb 2018 (only 2 years and 4 months)

Hey NT2015,

Thanks for bringing it up, because I'm also in the same boat and I never knew about such a thing until i read your question. Here's what i found, if your pgwp is shortened because of your expiring passport, then your work permit will have a note saying, "Document issued to validity of current passport. Must renew passport for further extension of status.". And later on you can extend your work permit with the new passport.

This information is obtained from a similar forum. Below is the link:

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/extension-of-a-post-graduation-work-permit-after-extending-the-passport-t128951.0.html

Hope this helps.

jiajialin92

Aug 12, 2015
I applied on may 10th, i did not hear anything from cic yet. i paid 100 dollar though CSE on aug and i did not see they upload my recipet to the application yet. should i call cic on monday asking them to upload my recipet? almost 5 month of waiting ....tired=(

NT2015

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
bis said:
Hey NT2015,

Thanks for bringing it up, because I'm also in the same boat and I never knew about such a thing until i read your question. Here's what i found, if your pgwp is shortened because of your expiring passport, then your work permit will have a note saying, "Document issued to validity of current passport. Must renew passport for further extension of status.". And later on you can extend your work permit with the new passport.

This information is obtained from a similar forum. Below is the link:

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/extension-of-a-post-graduation-work-permit-after-extending-the-passport-t128951.0.html

Hope this helps.

Hi Bis,

Thank for sharing your information. I believe this problem is tangible but we, the applicants, probably ignore this because we only focus on the processing time.

If you say so, my PGWP will be shorten for sure but I can share with you some of my plan and we can discuss...

After getting the PGWP, I am going to send my passport to my current embassy to extend ( this could be done first)
Then, let double check with new issued PGWP . If it was written as ":Document issued to validity of current passport. Must renew passport for further extension of status", then we can re-apply to extend the PGWP with new passport

OK. In the forum about extending PGWP you gave me, I saw a person with the problem: he tries to extend his but when he applies ONLINE for extending, the system requires him a job offer letter; however, the PGWP , theoretically, does not need a job offer so the system does not allow him to process. Then he call CIC to explain he does not need job offer because he applied for PGWP...

SO IN THIS CASE, SHOULD WE FIND A JOB FIRST AND THEN APPLY TO EXTEND OR EXTEND IMMEDIATELY WITH NO JOB OFFER? I am in implied status now, my SP expires and I will not get job offer at this time. If I decide to extend immediately, I should call CIC and explain my situation like the guy did above.

Or I can keep working normally and have a new job offer, then apply to extend in another day. At least I know that I still have 2 years and 3 or 4 months left.( enough time to fulfill all the system requirements)

So what do you think?

NT2015

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
jiajialin92 said:
I applied on may 10th, i did not hear anything from cic yet. i paid 100 dollar though CSE on aug and i did not see they upload my recipet to the application yet. should i call cic on monday asking them to upload my recipet? almost 5 month of waiting ....tired=(
you can call them, the number is 1-888-242‑2100, then press #3,2,1 and 0. You will be asked to wait, then you can talk directly to the agent. He/She will ask you couple security questions like your UCI, your name, DoB,... then you can ask if your payment is made through either CSE or online payment. I don't know why they didn't send you a message of requesting of extra payment. I received mine on Sep 21 and paid on the same day. I also call CIC and double check, an agent confirmed my payment and told me I am not going to pay any extra fee...

Good luck

status

Jul 8, 2015
NT2015 said:

I have been through same situation. They gave me PGWP until passport expiry date and on permit they added a line mentioning I can renew my work permit afeter passport renew. So dont worry you are good.

bis

Sep 3, 2015
NT2015 said:
Hi Bis,

Thank for sharing your information. I believe this problem is tangible but we, the applicants, probably ignore this because we only focus on the processing time.

If you say so, my PGWP will be shorten for sure but I can share with you some of my plan and we can discuss...

After getting the PGWP, I am going to send my passport to my current embassy to extend ( this could be done first)
Then, let double check with new issued PGWP . If it was written as ":Document issued to validity of current passport. Must renew passport for further extension of status", then we can re-apply to extend the PGWP with new passport

OK. In the forum about extending PGWP you gave me, I saw a person with the problem: he tries to extend his but when he applies ONLINE for extending, the system requires him a job offer letter; however, the PGWP , theoretically, does not need a job offer so the system does not allow him to process. Then he call CIC to explain he does not need job offer because he applied for PGWP...

SO IN THIS CASE, SHOULD WE FIND A JOB FIRST AND THEN APPLY TO EXTEND OR EXTEND IMMEDIATELY WITH NO JOB OFFER? I am in implied status now, my SP expires and I will not get job offer at this time. If I decide to extend immediately, I should call CIC and explain my situation like the guy did above.

Or I can keep working normally and have a new job offer, then apply to extend in another day. At least I know that I still have 2 years and 3 or 4 months left.( enough time to fulfill all the system requirements)

So what do you think?
You don't need a job offer to extend your pgwp, NT2015.

jlsm

May 4, 2015
Finally my application got approved! Got it for 3 years

Applied: May 7th
Paid $100: June 29th (Through CSE)
Blank Update: July 23rd, September 30th
Approval: October 2nd
Mail delivery: Pending
Waiting until approval: 149 days

Worried at the beginning but my company still accept me to work under implied status so that calms me down a little bit.

Good luck everyone who still waiting until today, your time will come for sure..

ym17

Sep 29, 2015
Finally my application got approved too :)

Applied: May 13th
Blank Update: May 13th, July 27rd, Aug 9th
Request for $100: Sept 17th
PGWP Approval: Oct 3rd

NOTE
***Once I requested $100, I made payment and uploaded the receipt right after, however I did not digitally sign!!!!!
I noticed the failure on the 28th of Sept and immediately sign and submit.
My status was "upload" but not "provided" until then.
Once I submitted with my digital signature, the status changed to provided.
The request letter stated that we need to submit document (receipt) within 7 days.. so I was very worried... :(

chiliwilli

Aug 24, 2015
Few days ago I called again to CIC, general question since I asked recently about my application's delay:

I thought I couldnt travel because I am waiting for PGWP approval but, due to I have study permit valid until March 2016, they told me that I can travel without problems. I can enjoy Christmas with my family! Yeah!

Then, I take the delay as an advantage as I am working and all these months until they (I hope) approve my application will be added canadian experience to the duration of PGWP.

Curiously, this Sunday afternoon I had a blank update of my application, WEIRD!

Cheers!

nosmas

Sep 25, 2015
Hi guys this probably will be my last update as I got my work permit today :D
I would like to thank the people who share their timeline as well as jubear for organizing the information!
Now hopefully I can find a job I like soon!

Nosmas
Applied: June 16th (Full amount paid)
Blank Update: Sept 3rd, Sept 9th
PGWP Approval: Sept 30th
Mail Delivery: Oct 5th
Total Processing Time: 112 days (From submission to approval)

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

natdn

May 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
Doc's Request.
10-01-2017
Nomination.....
25-07-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
nosmas said:
Hi guys this probably will be my last update as I got my work permit today :D
I would like to thank the people who share their timeline as well as jubear for organizing the information!
Now hopefully I can find a job I like soon!

Nosmas
Applied: June 16th (Full amount paid)
Blank Update: Sept 3rd, Sept 9th
PGWP Approval: Sept 30th
Mail Delivery: Oct 5th
Total Processing Time: 112 days (From submission to approval)

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!
Congrats !!! Can you please clarify. How did you apply online or paper

Netz

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
Netz

Applied: May 16th (155$)
Blank Update: july 30, Aug 9th
Paid through CSE : $100 on 30th Sept
PGWP Approval: Waiting
Waiting since: 143 days

Guys after I applied for my PGWP I came back to India, Please tell me is there any way I can go back to Canada.? My student permit has expired. I don't know how much more I have to wait for the approval. Please Help..!!!