Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
23/12/10
Interview........
Waved
Hey everyone

If there is already a topic on this and I'm reposting sorry about that you can send me thr link!

This past week me and my wife went to an information session about immigrating to Canada via spousal sponsorship and the consultant there spoke about length of relationship. I wanted to know if anyone heard anything about this? He said that people in a relationship less then 3 months before you marry will most likly to be denied. Is there any truth to this? Just wanted to get people's thoughts.

L

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Not necessarily denied but definitely be called in for an interview to prove their relationship.

They must give you an opportunity to prove your relationship before denial.

Denials are quickly given in certain countries e.g. Africa. As it is well known that many used spousal applications to enter for a better life or if there are vast differences in Culture/Religion/Age/whether the person has applied previously for spousal for someone else etc and who the visa officer is.

The best would be to wait a while if you got married hastily to secure a few more months into the marriage before sending in your paperwork as the immigration officer will want to see the progress of your marriage.

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
Canadagirl85 said:
Hey everyone

If there is already a topic on this and I'm reposting sorry about that you can send me thr link!

This past week me and my wife went to an information session about immigrating to Canada via spousal sponsorship and the consultant there spoke about length of relationship. I wanted to know if anyone heard anything about this? He said that people in a relationship less then 3 months before you marry will most likly to be denied. Is there any truth to this? Just wanted to get people's thoughts.

L
Every relationship is different I suppose. My husband and I met at a party on March 2010 and we got married in July 2010. We were not denied and our inland sponsorship took 10 months total. We were never called for an interview, or had our application transferred. I guess as long as you can prove that you are in a genuine relationship you should be ok.

We sent about 50 pictures with all our trips together, in that 3 months we were able to travel quite a bit in Canada. We have a bank account together, an auto loan, we both included each other as benificiary in our life insurance. A month after dating we decided to live together and have the bills, leases under both our names.

Reactions: nina2704

madatito2000

Jul 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo visa office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
its replay where is ur spouse who is teh applicant from ? if he or she is from third world counrty ithink they will take long 10 months and mybe they will deny bcz they need to know that this realtionship is for real not for canada so itell u that if there long perioed before getting married then the the time wont be longer and if there is interview it just for knowing the charcter of applicant and mybe the decision be made before the interview

TIREDOFITALL

Jun 22, 2011
I went for a consult with my husband after a year and a half of being married and having an infant. The lawyer told us its best to wait until the marriage is more "established" to apply. All he said was children are not strong proof of a legitimate marriage because it doesnt take much to make a baby. So we are approaching our 4 yr anniversary and recently went to speak to a different lawyer who freaked out and told us not to wait and we shouldve put the application through at least 2 yrs ago. ???

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
it can depend on the culture and it also can depend on evidence at hand... in some cultures, arranged marriages are acceptable and some are approved after only officially meeting their other half once on the wedding day/week... in more western cultures a longer courtship is considered more acceptable, but not necessarily mandatory.... it also depends on the type of interactions.. marrying someone a couple months after you've spent a few days with them while on vacation might be viewed a bit differently than marrying somene while on a contract overseas who you spend every day with since you met 2-3 months ago... some marry a person when they first physically meet them, however they may have met months or years ago online and conversed over webcam or something regularily for months or years prior to meeting...

best is not to judge your relationship based on the length of time, but rather the quality of the evidence you can produce... if you can only provide evidence of spending a couple days together physically and a phone call a week or something, that might be in question... if you've spent every day for 3 months together and perhaps were in contact before that... then you've probably got a stronger case...

as for a lawyer advising a legally married couple with a child not to apply after 1.5 years? that's insane! while there's nothing that says you MUST apply shortly after marriage, many couples do and CIC expects to not have a long marriage... if the courtship leading up to the marriage provides strong evidence of the relationship, there is no reason to wait to be married any length of time...