+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change Doc - after marriage

nmehra6613

Star Member
Sep 30, 2015
Hi,

As part of ITA documents, I have been asked to upload legal name change document for my wife.

We have a marriage certificate with her new (after marriage) name. Along with, I am planning to include a Letter of Explanation.

Will LOE + Marriage certificate suffice for this purpose?

Thank you

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
I am doing the same thing. In my country, marriage certificate is the only document that shows name change (after marriage).

I don't think there should be any problems with that.

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
nmehra6613 said:
Hi,

As part of ITA documents, I have been asked to upload legal name change document for my wife.

We have a marriage certificate with her new (after marriage) name. Along with, I am planning to include a Letter of Explanation.

Will LOE + Marriage certificate suffice for this purpose?

Thank you
Hi, I am in a same situation. I am trying to get an affidavit (notarized) stating wife's maiden name and name after marriage. I think you should go for the same (if you are in India, don't know about the legalities in other countries)

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I plan on using Marriage License, along with new and old passports, and new and old drivers licenses. I will accompany all 3 of these with LOE as well.

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
vishalg said:
Hi, I am in a same situation. I am trying to get an affidavit (notarized) stating wife's maiden name and name after marriage. I think you should go for the same (if you are in India, don't know about the legalities in other countries)

Agree...one and the same person affidavit is needed

AJP404

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
Itsmee said:
Agree...one and the same person affidavit is needed
Can i get it done in canada? should i go with documents to lawyer and ask for one and the same person affidavit ?

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
As an FYI: If you search this forum, there is a template available. If you take your own content and only get it notarized from a lawyer, it is cheaper but I liked the one the lawyer made way BETTER than the template I found on the forum

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
After doing the research, we'll be getting one of these just to be on the safe side. If anyone find the template, and can link it to this thread it would be great. I'm looking for some on the internet at the moment.

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
Mthornt said:
After doing the research, we'll be getting one of these just to be on the safe side. If anyone find the template, and can link it to this thread it would be great. I'm looking for some on the internet at the moment.

Here u go:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/last-name-problems-t452110.0.html

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/sample-one-same-person-affidavit.html

Hetal0990

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Hello All - what would happen in a scenario wherein after the marriage my wife has not changed her name? All documents that we will be uploading - Passport, ECA, IELTS score, Education details has her pre marriage surname. What is an acceptable proof in this case?

ravinderonly

Jul 5, 2020
Did LOE + Marriage certificate suffice for the "Change of Name post marriage requirement"? I already have the new name on the passport and application.