+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left CanAda before finishing my program and didn’t withdraw or told the school

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Hi
If anyone can help me !
I was a student in Canada in 2016 but left the country without finishing my studies bcoz my mom passed away . I was in great pain and stress so I didn’t even think to withdraw from my school and now I need to get my Canadian police records done for my European residency and I’m scared this will show up there bcoz maybe my school reported me and cancel my visa and cic might thought I was in Canada without an status ( even tho I left 6 months before my visa expired) but since I didn’t tell my school Maybe the Canadian government didn’t know I left and so reported me to the police .
PLEASE HELP !!

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Hi
If anyone can help me !
I was a student in Canada in 2016 but left the country without finishing my studies bcoz my mom passed away . I was in great pain and stress so I didn’t even think to withdraw from my school and now I need to get my Canadian police records done for my European residency and I’m scared this will show up there bcoz maybe my school reported me and cancel my visa and cic might thought I was in Canada without an status ( even tho I left 6 months before my visa expired) but since I didn’t tell my school Maybe the Canadian government didn’t know I left and so reported me to the police .
PLEASE HELP !!
Are you immigrating to Europe? What exact documents they are asking you to submit about your Canadian past? Just police certificate? Have you got any emails/letters from university asking you to confirm if you are coming back to finish yours studies? How long was your study programme? Did you pay for it? Need more background information.

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Are you immigrating to Europe? What exact documents they are asking you to submit about your Canadian past? Just police certificate? Have you got any emails/letters from university asking you to confirm if you are coming back to finish yours studies? How long was your study programme? Did you pay for it? Need more background information.
Also, immigration doesn't report people to police for overstaying there visa (as far as I know, and you are not criminal).

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Also, immigration doesn't report people to police for overstaying there visa (as far as I know, and you are not criminal).
Hello !

This happened in 2016, I’m applying for my European residency as my husband is French and they ask me for police records of each country I live in for longer than 6 months in the last 5 years .
I was in my second semester in a 1 year program in college .
My mom passed away in May 2016 and I left CanAda in September, mi visa expired in March 2017 BUT I did not tell the school Nor did I withdraw from it , I just packed my stuff and left the country For good.
Now I’m scared they record me to Canadian immigration and then cic obviously lost my legal status and then since they didn’t know I left they might believed I stayed there illegally or something .

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Hello !

This happened in 2016, I’m applying for my European residency as my husband is French and they ask me for police records of each country I live in for longer than 6 months in the last 5 years .
I was in my second semester in a 1 year program in college .
My mom passed away in May 2016 and I left CanAda in September, mi visa expired in March 2017 BUT I did not tell the school Nor did I withdraw from it , I just packed my stuff and left the country For good.
Now I’m scared they record me to Canadian immigration and then cic obviously lost my legal status and then since they didn’t know I left they might believed I stayed there illegally or something .
POLICE certificate has nothing to do with your legal status. If I were you, I'd just order it. It's only needed to show that you don't have criminal record. As your immigration, if you left before you visa expired then I assume you should be ok. But you never know.. Maybe it would be worth contacting university? OR try calling immigration call centre, and speak with an agent, explain everything. Did you need visa to come to Canada in the first place?

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
POLICE certificate has nothing to do with your legal status. If I were you, I'd just order it. It's only needed to show that you don't have criminal record. As your immigration, if you left before you visa expired then I assume you should be ok. But you never know.. Maybe it would be worth contacting university? OR try calling immigration call centre, and speak with an agent, explain everything. Did you need visa to come to Canada in the first place?
My question is : does Canada know when you leave the country? bcoz if they do then even if the school reported me they would have known i was not there any longer. I left when the semester finished( but i had 6 more months of visa) but obviously i did not pass my modules because i was as you can imagine very sad and depressed. The school did not contact me via email to ask me if i was going to class or anything related to it , they did contact me because they wanted me to pay some stupid fees of the semester when i did not even finish it so I refused to pay but other than that absolutely nothing .
I do need a visa to enter Canada .

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Didnt your passport get stamped in your country of destination?You can simply show the stamps on your passport and air tickets used in 2016 to prove that you left before your visa expired.You didnot break any laws by leaving the country before your visa expired without informing anyone.
it did get stamped and did not come back to Canada.
I was just concerned maybe the school reported me (while i was already back home ) and then now cic thinks i was there ilegally or something . so i thought maybe by the time the school reported me cic knew i wasnt in canada anyways. i dont know , im just concerned it would affect my police records anyhow

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Stop worrying. Leaving Canada before your visa expired isn't a crime. Leaving school midway through a program isn't a crime either. You have documentary evidence to show that you left Canada.

Nothing you have stated here will show up on a Police Records Check.

Reactions: Bitema

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Yes i can see why you are concerned. With the institutions reporting International students' enrollment,there are high chances that CIC came after you to ask you to either leave the country or get deported.There are also chances that they realized you had already left and so did not pursue you any further. If they were pursuing you,you would know. I once stayed in an apartment and heard a knock at my neighbor's door around 7pm,they were from CIC and i heard them ask the guy if he had traveled home the previous year. I did not hear the rest of the conversation but i doubt they will just stay silent and enter some derogatory remarks on your file. If CIC has something on you,they will look for you.I have heard of cases where border services issue nationwide warrant if they cant find someone but its usually when someone fails to show up at the airport for deportation.Thus,i don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to your criminal record.
I also need to add that i have seen several letters where someone applied for study permit extension,work permit extension,etc in Canada and they got rejected for one reason or another.In the rejection there was usually that line about applying for a restoration of status if the current status has expired or leaving the country.I have never seen a line saying that if they decide to leave they must inform someone at the airport(usually border services).I was a recipient of such a letter years ago when my study permit expired and i had forgotten to attach a document to the application.The letter only mentioned that i had to leave the country or apply for restoration of status.They never said that if i left,i had to inform anyone.My guess is that if they have something on you, somehow they have a way of tracing if you have left the country.
Thank you for your respond
I attended classes until July 2016 ( I tried to) the school knew what was happening and all my profs were informed I was going thru something very painful , even one of my profs contacted my counselor because when he asked me why i was not going to classes I simply replied : " I am too sad to go to school" and I was . Two months after that email I left Canada and never came back, and tho the school knew what i was going thru I did not notify them of my leave so if the school reported me ( which I believe that would of been after september bcoz else i would have known either by a letter or an immigration officer coming to my place) I was already gone . So, My question is : Did they (CIC) know I left Canada that year ? Or they thought (still think) i am there illegally ? bcoz when i left I still had a valid visa for 6 months more. If they thought I was still there or something , would that even appear on my police certificate?

Thank you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Airlines send manifests of passengers to CBSA and IRCC. They would eventually figure out you left. You do not need to worry, you did nothing wrong. Even if a departure order was issued against you, you are able to exain what happened very clearly.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for your respond
I attended classes until July 2016 ( I tried to) the school knew what was happening and all my profs were informed I was going thru something very painful , even one of my profs contacted my counselor because when he asked me why i was not going to classes I simply replied : " I am too sad to go to school" and I was . Two months after that email I left Canada and never came back, and tho the school knew what i was going thru I did not notify them of my leave so if the school reported me ( which I believe that would of been after september bcoz else i would have known either by a letter or an immigration officer coming to my place) I was already gone . So, My question is : Did they (CIC) know I left Canada that year ? Or they thought (still think) i am there illegally ? bcoz when i left I still had a valid visa for 6 months more. If they thought I was still there or something , would that even appear on my police certificate?

Thank you.
Your question has been answered multiple times. You have not committed any crimes (based on what you're saying here) and hence there is no possibility of it appearing on any police certificate.

If you aren't convinced, just go ahead and get your police certificate and see what it says.

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Your question has been answered multiple times. You have not committed any crimes (based on what you're saying here) and hence there is no possibility of it appearing on any police certificate.

If you aren't convinced, just go ahead and get your police certificate and see what it says.
thank you for your respond i am just replying to specific responses others have left here, and since he/she said something different from the rests of the responses I wanted to ask more.
I am sorry if that bothered you , I did not intent to sound repetitive

Gabbyowl

Mar 31, 2019
Airlines send manifests of passengers to CBSA and IRCC. They would eventually figure out you left. You do not need to worry, you did nothing wrong. Even if a departure order was issued against you, you are able to exain what happened very clearly.
i didn't know , thank you for your response !

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
thank you for your respond i am just replying to specific responses others have left here, and since he/she said something different from the rests of the responses I wanted to ask more.
I am sorry if that bothered you , I did not intent to sound repetitive
No bother, just telling you not to be so worried. You should get your police record and then you'll know for sure in black and white. Order it, and relax till you get it.. there's really no reason to be stressed out.