+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving & re-entering Canada

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
I first entered Canada in August, 2011 via NAFTA on an intra-company transfer. I wound up marrying a Canadian citizen and CIC received my sponsored application for PR from within Canada on April 28th, 2014 (registered mail). My work permit was up this past August but in July 2014 I re-entered Canada and at the border got a six month manager/consultant permit for six months, expiring Feb. 2015. The job that I have the current permit for is now finished so I remain in Canada now with the understanding that my allotted time to stay is still valid.

I want to leave to go back to the US for Xmas with my wife. With my current permit expiring in Feb. 2015 I know that soon I'll have to apply for a visitor permit.

1.) Do I need to do anything before I leave for Xmas?

2.) Do I have reason to worry about not being let back in with my current job over with but with the permit still valid?

Thank you in advance.

JS

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
1) I believe you should be good. No issues.

2) Firstly, i am not sure what you mean by "current job over" and how / why would CIC think that is the case. The last permit you got was issued in July 2014 and expires until Feb 2015.

Other than this you have an IN LAND PR sponsorship application in process which basically is impacted negatively IF YOU ARE NOT LIVING IN CANADA meanwhile. So that's fine.

To support you a little detail with practical evidence, i am a citizen of a country which requires visa for both entering Canada or US. I am in Canada on a foreign work permit valid till Feb 2016. I have traveled to US and came back to Canada multiple times for work needs. Once i asked the CBSA officer about any concern over remaining validity i.e. six months etc. (my concern was that if i go to US around say Nov. 2015 and came back in Dec 2015, would CBSA have any worries at border that i only have another two months validity of visa / passport) and i was told "technically you can enter Canada even a day before expiry of your visa/work permit because you can still enter and exit next day -assuming you don't apply / get renewal".

And i have no PR application in process - nor have a Canadian spouse.

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
Sorry, by "current job over" I meant, with my current employment already at an end even though I have till Feb. 2015 on my permit. In other words, my job is done and I'm unemployed.

Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
In my experience, there is no telling that you are out of job any way unless you mention it yourself.

Besides, you being an in land applicant for PR, it shouldn't be a concern.