+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada without a PR card

PEQ2013

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Hi guys,

Here is my problem. I have landed in November and I am travelling outside of Canada next week. It doesn't look like my PR card will arrive on time, so I am wondering what my options are.

I was told that urgent PR card processing is not available for newly landed immigrant.

Applying for PR travel document is not an option either. I am away for one week and the relevant visa office says that it takes 15-30 days to process the document.

So, it looks like I will have to risk returning Canada without a PR card nor a PR travel document. Have I understood correctly that a COPR and a valid foreign passport should be sufficient for CBSA? The main problem is that the airline might not allow me to board? Can someone confirm? If that's the case, maybe I can simply book a cheap flight to pretend that I intend to leave Canada? Any opinions on that?

Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not need to have a valid PR card to cross the border if you are traveling with a non-commercial vehicle (such as walking).

Since you said you are holding a visa exempted passport, the airlines would allow you to board the plane to return to Canada. At your arrival, show the COPR and foreign passport to CBSA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
PEQ2013 said:
So, it looks like I will have to risk returning Canada without a PR card nor a PR travel document. Have I understood correctly that a COPR and a valid foreign passport should be sufficient for CBSA? The main problem is that the airline might not allow me to board? Can someone confirm? If that's the case, maybe I can simply book a cheap flight to pretend that I intend to leave Canada? Any opinions on that?
Don't mention that you are a PR when you are travelling back, as the airline could refuse to board you if you can't show your PR card. If they ask, you are simply visiting Canada.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Agreed with Steaky - as a visa exempt passport holder you will be able to board a plane without issue.
Just show your COPR and passport when you land in Canada - VO can also check your status in their system if there are any issues

PEQ2013

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Thank you for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear them.

My main worry now is whether the airline will give me any troubles. I am having a return ticket into Canada. Will they ask me for tickets out of Canada? Should I buy a cheap ticket just in case?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PEQ2013 said:
Thank you for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear them.

My main worry now is whether the airline will give me any troubles. I am having a return ticket into Canada. Will they ask me for tickets out of Canada? Should I buy a cheap ticket just in case?
No worries. Airlines allows people with just visiting visas (attached to passport) to board plane into Canada.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
steaky said:
No worries. Airlines allows people with just visiting visas (attached to passport) to board plane into Canada.
If OP is visa exempt then he wouldn't have a visitor visa!

I have boarded a plane to come to canada without any paperwork at all - you will be fine and won't need a return ticket.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lpc19800 said:
If OP is visa exempt then he wouldn't have a visitor visa!

I have boarded a plane to come to canada without any paperwork at all - you will be fine and won't need a return ticket.
Right.

VO

May 20, 2013
What about people from non-visa ex countries? Do they need either pr card or pr visa, or it is possible to enter with only CoPR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
VO said:
What about people from non-visa ex countries? Do they need either pr card or pr visa, or it is possible to enter with only CoPR?
If flying, non visa-exempt PRs must have either the PR card or a PR Travel Document.

If crossing the Canada-US border on foot or in a private vehicle, the COPR is acceptable.

VO

May 20, 2013
Thank you. But why the difference? Only because of pre-departure check in the airport or something else too?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
From what I have heard:

If a person who needs a visa to enter Canada arrives at immigration without a visa, the airline is obligated to provide transportation back since they are supposed to screen passengers to make sure they have a visa to enter. Since that free flight back will cost airlines $$$, they won't let you board unless you have some kind of proof that you can enter Canada.

Via private vehicle or foot, you can use your COPR because at the border, CBSA can check what you status is in Canada with the info in your COPR. And if you don't have proper status, they just deny you and you can drive/walk back. Airlines can't do this because they don't have such access to CBSA database at the departure gate so COPR is not enough for them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
keesio said:
If a person who needs a visa to enter Canada arrives at immigration without a visa, the airline is obligated to provide transportation back since they are supposed to screen passengers to make sure they have a visa to enter. Since that free flight back will cost airlines $$$, they won't let you board unless you have some kind of proof that you can enter Canada.

Via private vehicle or foot, you can use your COPR because at the border, CBSA can check what you status is in Canada with the info in your COPR. And if you don't have proper status, they just deny you and you can drive/walk back. Airlines can't do this because they don't have such access to CBSA database at the departure gate so COPR is not enough for them.
Correct. A commercial carrier (which can be airline, ship or bus) needs to verify that a person has the right to enter Canada (visa, PR card, PRTD etc). In addition to being responsible for the return journey costs, the carrier can also be fined.