+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada permanently as Permanent Resident - change address or Determination of Residency Status with CRA

Ema2000

Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016 send
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 upfront
LANDED..........
11-06-2016 flagpole
Hi,
I left Canada as a permanent resident (My spouse sponsored me) a few month ago - permanently!

I have a few more questions.:)
If I let CRA know about it: Do I just change my address or do I have to Determination of Residency Status (or something else???)
If I do so will I keep my PR card / status or will I lose it (I might want to come back)?
Can my spouse not just make the Tax like normal for the year I left or do I have to fill out some kind of Tax form?

What happens if I don´t do any of it? Do I have to do it? .. How much time do I have to do it?

ohh and what does it mean determining residence status?

Thank you so much ... not sure :rolleyes:if I put this thread in the right Forum space?

Emma

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I left Canada as a permanent resident (My spouse sponsored me) a few month ago - permanently!

If I do so will I keep my PR card / status or will I lose it (I might want to come back)?
Like your German passport, no one knows if you would lose your current PR card. For sure it will get expired and you would have to apply for a PRTD in order to fly to Canada directly (unless you also have US passport). In case you didn't meet RO and you applied for PRTD, then you could lose your PR status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

If I let CRA know about it: Do I just change my address or do I have to Determination of Residency Status (or something else???)
Can my spouse not just make the Tax like normal for the year I left or do I have to fill out some kind of Tax form?

What happens if I don´t do any of it? Do I have to do it? .. How much time do I have to do it?

ohh and what does it mean determining residence status?

Thank you so much ... not sure :rolleyes:if I put this thread in the right Forum space?

Emma
You need to contact CRA to tell them that you have left Canada for good. They can also determine if you remain a tax resident or not. You should also contact your provincial health authority and notified them that you have left the province.