+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving CANADA GO TO LIVE TO THE STATES :)

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
There's no formal limit to the number of citizenships you can have, but the more naturalized citizenships you hold, the harder I expect it'll be to get new ones.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With Canada and the US, it's not a problem. Neither interfere with your other citizenships. As for your home country, I wouldn't know, they might have some restrictions.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kingoftherings said:
Im leaving canada and now i go to the states how many citizenships can a person have i have 2 already
Canada and US have no issues with dual nationality. For the US though you must:

1. Enter and Exit the US only on your US passport.
2. Declare all income earned anywhere and include in your tax return.

Depending on your age you may be added to the US selection for service (military).

You need to get a US GC/PR first then apply for naturalization. Its more difficult to get and maintain US GC. How do you plan on getting your US GC? This will indicate timeline to US citizenship.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
For the US though you must:
1. Enter and Exit the US only on your US passport.
Actually it's only necessary to enter on a US passport. Similar to Canada, there are not exit controls for US citizens.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a stepping stone for most people. The combination of pathetic Canadian job market and overqualified immigrants make an ideal situation for any intelligent individual to move south of the border. Perfect example of brain drain, Canada brings brains through their points system but because these people cant find jobs in their fields they get drained to the USA. Good luck to you my friend

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Actually, if you look at numbers, in the past few years the immigration relationship between Canada and the U.S. has been reversed: more Americans are immigrating to Canada than Canadians are immigrating to the U.S. This is largely owing to the even more pathetic job market in the U.S., its dysfunctional government, and the absence of a social safety net.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/canada/110907/us-economy-american-economic-refugees

123sMike

Star Member
May 20, 2013
I was reading an article where 60% of skilled immigrants leave canada in 6 years of landing in canada..i believe they get their citizenship and leave

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
From my acquaintances and from what I hear a lot of landed immigrants are underemployed/unemployed and as soon as they become Canadian citizens they move either south or go to other countries where they can work in their own fields and in line with their qualifications. They won't ask them in the US if they have "US experience"; nobody asked me when I worked in the US :))

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Most Americans come up here either because they work in subsidiaries of US companies operating in Canada or because of family (marrying Canadians) and exception to the rule is Americans in rare fields that Canada needs desperately such as petroleum engineers, stem cell researchers etc.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I have met several Canadians born in Canada and educated in Canada and who worked in the US and outside of North America. They came back here in the 30s and 40s and had similar experience as highly-skilled landed immigrants. One of them worked in investment banking in NYC, London and Tokyo but had difficulty landing an analyst job in Toronto's financial/financial services sector. They would ask her if she has "Canadian experience"....Canada just has a very small labor market and it is based on who you know pretty much....

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
That's a lot of hypotheses: Americans migrating to Canada may be in specific professions (though the same is true for Canadians emigrating to America), or they may all be Americans who have married Canadians (though this would beg the question of why Canadians who marry Americans don't move south), or they may all be skilled immigrants who are giving up on Canada (though if this were true, then they would still count as Canadians emigrating to America, and be fewer than Americans emigrating north).

As for your Canadian friends encountering headwinds when they move back to Canada -- that's normal, when you relocate in middle age. Why are they moving back to Canada? Because the financial sector in the U.S. went through a near-collapse and reorganization in 2008-2010, and they lost their jobs. Why Canada? Because Canada's didn't -- and now they're starting out again, and competing with locals and all the other people coming home. And that question about Canadian experience? That's because there are Canada-specific aspects to finance -- just because one has worked on Wall Street or in Tokyo doesn't mean that they are superbly qualified for Toronto. And because these aren't huge barriers, they probably found work, eventually.

It's interesting that native Canadians are asked that as well, it suggests that the motivation is simple (a desire for Canadian experience) and not racist.

The fact remains, for the past few years more people have come north than have gone south.