+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after citizenship application

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Hi,
I applied for my citizenship grant in Feb 2018 and currently ecas status is set as “in-process”. Recently my current employer has offered me a job outside Canada. I like the role offered and contemplating taking it. However, I have to take it by August.

If I leave Canada now for this job, will it impact my citizenship application? The rule mentioned on the govt site says it’s allowed. If I make arrangement for letters to be passed onto me, etc is there any other complexity that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks all in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I applied for my citizenship grant in Feb 2018 and currently ecas status is set as “in-process”. Recently my current employer has offered me a job outside Canada. I like the role offered and contemplating taking it. However, I have to take it by August.

If I leave Canada now for this job, will it impact my citizenship application? The rule mentioned on the govt site says it’s allowed. If I make arrangement for letters to be passed onto me, etc is there any other complexity that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks all in advance.
Yes, you can. However, if you are required to do fingerprints, or when you are asked attend the test, you had better be able to move very quickly. You don't always get much notice and if you miss the window, your application is at risk.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Hi,

Thanks all in advance.
Yes you can leave if temporary. If permanent then it MIGHT affect your Citizenship application if that gets noticed by Citizenship officer. If he believes that you will take off PERMANENTLY as soon as you get your Citizenship that MIGHT affect your application. If I were you I wont rule out this situation. Also, on IRCC website they don't have mention whether this applies to those who are willing to leave Canada Permanently or Temporary.

Canadian Citizens can move out anytime they want and live where ever they like. So if its permanent job, you might want to stay here till you get your Citizenship.

Rest mentioned by @zardoz above in his post.