+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leave Canada while waiting on PR Card

massprvan

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
This is my wife's situation

She lives in Canada on a valid work permit and has an eTA as well that expires in 5 years.

We got the COPR but waiting on the portal link to submit photos

She has to go back to Thailand in April

Can she leave and travel on her eTA if she has submitted her photo and is waiting on her PR card to arrive?

Thanks

Oh and she will be coming back direct from US as well by plane, if that matters..............

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can she leave and travel on her eTA if she has submitted her photo and is waiting on her PR card to arrive?
She can leave of course but not return by air on basis of eTA - assume it will be cancelled. Hopefully she will get the card before that.

Oh and she will be coming back direct from US as well by plane, if that matters..............
Not clear to me what this means, but she CAN return at land border (car/foot etc) via USA on basis of passport and printed COPR. This would likely be easiest course for her if PR card not received before then.

Alternative is apply for PRTD which just might take some time and logistics hassles of submitting passport through embassy etc for PRTD (visa) to be placed in passport.

massprvan

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
She can leave of course but not return by air on basis of eTA - assume it will be cancelled. Hopefully she will get the card before that.

Not clear to me what this means, but she CAN return at land border (car/foot etc) via USA on basis of passport and printed COPR. This would likely be easiest course for her if PR card not received before then.

Alternative is apply for PRTD which just might take some time and logistics hassles of submitting passport through embassy etc for PRTD (visa) to be placed in passport.
Thanks for the answer Armoured, I didn't realize the eTA gets cancelled but now read up on it.

The PRTD would not be too much of an issue, she would be back in Thailand for 10 weeks so plenty of time for that.

I appreciate your help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The PRTD would not be too much of an issue, she would be back in Thailand for 10 weeks so plenty of time for that.
That should be enough time but you'd want to look at the form and documents needed.

Note that because she'a a new PR she won't have to show much in terms of residency obligation, the key oddity is that she's automatically in compliance because has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days since becoming a PR. The wording on the form is confusing (in my view) about this). Many find returning via land/USA less complicated and uncertain.

But hopefully will get the PR card before returning. Note also if you get it in Canada before she returns, you could arrange to send it to her in Thailand.

massprvan

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
That should be enough time but you'd want to look at the form and documents needed.

Note that because she'a a new PR she won't have to show much in terms of residency obligation, the key oddity is that she's automatically in compliance because has been outside of Canada less than 1095 days since becoming a PR. The wording on the form is confusing (in my view) about this). Many find returning via land/USA less complicated and uncertain.

But hopefully will get the PR card before returning. Note also if you get it in Canada before she returns, you could arrange to send it to her in Thailand.
True I can send it to her, thanks!

I find this last part of the PR process so unnessary and rudimentary
They do such a good job of vetting all the streams if info required in 6 months, then they have us sending simple email replies back and forth.

Just seems odd to me...............